Premium Member
8,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
8,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On a more serious note:

GM purposely leaks photographs of the 2011 Chevy Cruze but at the same time can't figure out how to sell one of the best vehicles they CURRENTLY offer for sale.

How does this CONTINUE to be possible six months after the on-sale date?

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
IF no one knows about the Astra... why would they buy it???

Even better question... How much would it cost to take a coupla thousand of these and put a Turbo 2.0L in it, or modify a coupla more thousand to have the XFE's sweets?

Those are the questions that that make me crazy

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have seen absolutely zero advertising for the Astra. Consequently I have seen but one Astra (just yesterday) since it's release, and I cover a relatively large area on a weekly basis (Riverside and Orange Counties). Has the marketing for the Astra been largely internet based? I spend I decent amount of time on the web and have seen very little there as well. I was under the impression that GM was pretty excited about this car and considered it very important (and it certainly is). It's gotten good reviews and is a solid offering in a vital market segment. WHY DOESN'T GM ADVERTISE THE CAR?

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
zero advertising, decontented options, no sedan or two door coupe options, a dog slow engine, no REDLINE version and the kicker - NO CHANGES for '09

WTF did GM expect to happen? A sales miracle?

I mean this vehicle was doomed to fail right out the gate

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I'm sure lack of advertising is one issue. I know I personally wouldn't buy one for the following reason, and I was looking forward to it being available before it actually arrived. My expectations were that GM was finally going to offer us a truly fuel efficient compact that could compete with the 1.8L models from Honda and Toyota. Instead we get a 1.8L engine in a compact that uses just as much fuel as the 2.2L in the Cobalt and that is before GM came out with the XFE model Cobalt. Many people have fuel economy as a priority right now and this car does NOT deliver. In many ways it is a nicer car than the Cobalt but many shop small cars because they are either cheap or fuel efficient or both. The Astra is neither. It is expensive and has below average fuel efficiency (especially for the engine size and power). It really disappointed me. I'd much rather buy a Cobalt XFE now since my main reason for buying a compact will be lower costs of ownership.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I have seen more of them around lately but that said, if they had an Astra sedan I think they would sell much better. My friend who has a SL2 traded it in for a Focus because she didn't want a hatchback.

Saw in the paper they have them slapped with 0% for 72 months + $500 gas card here in Ontario. Great deal. Won't get that on a VW.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm sure that the number of dealers, lack of lease option, lack of options all together and lack of marketing all contribute to the lack of sales.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I wonder what kind of deals could be had on an Astra. Tempting.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
They've been running Astra commercials all week over here. They don't say anything about the car other than its name and that it gets 32mpg.

On an editorial note, the headline for this thread is completely misleading. Terrible.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
On a more serious note:

GM purposely leaks photographs of the 2011 Chevy Cruze but at the same time can't figure out how to sell one of the best vehicles they CURRENTLY offer for sale.

How does this CONTINUE to be possible six months after the on-sale date?
It's not that GM can't figure out how to sell......it's that the car won't sell itself because of the badge on its back. Same story with Aura versus Malibu......Outlook vs Acadia/Enclave/Traverse. You cannot sell a Saturn the way the brand exists right now.

Do you think just by giving Suzuki or Mitsubishi awesome product, sales are going to jump through the roof? No. Consumer perception of these brands is very poor. Well guess what, as far as brand recognition (not even perception, just recognition) goes, Saturn is probably down there with Isuzu. People don't even know the company exists.

It'll take an IMMENSE amount of resources and $$ just to make consumers aware of the existence of the Saturn brand. Which is why some people like Elk and myself called this the stupidest, most wasteful and pointless idea GM ever came up with (i.e. taking Saturn upmarket)

It was never going to work. Some of us knew that a long time ago. But fanbois and GM management never could figure it out. Many of you still haven't even after it has been spelt out in plain English.

It is the BRAND, not the products, not the number of dealers, not the haggling etc.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have yet to see an Astra commercial, or one on the road. The Saturn dealer near me has them all buried in the back of his lot, so you can't even see them from the street.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
This is a stop gap niche car...why did they import so many of them?

1. Spend some money marketing Saturn's products- Aura and Astra have little to no identity with non- enthusiast. GM dealerships don't stock manuals and the Astra (and Aura) have no red line model, so enthusiast are not flocking to them.

2. Stop importing them. Sell what is on the lot and when that is depleted. The new model arrives next year and it appears that Saturn already has more than it needs.

3. If this is product dumping, which it appears to be, why are prices so high? I am aware of the exchange rates, but why send so many of a new, unknown model here all at once? The Saturn Astra is a modern version of what the Saab 9-3 used to be- it had a die-hard fan base, but it was pure niche products. Quirky, expensive, unrefined, but fun....not a bad place for Saturn to be in the compact car market...but adjust production to meet demand or cut prices.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
I see the things everywhere in Ottawa, now. And they're advertised. I don't see them in Civic numbers, but I see them every day at least once when I do go out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They apparently though the hatch crowd was much bigger than it actually is. Should have imported the sedan from Poland as well.
I don't understand the lack of interest in a hatchback - it's the most flexible vehicle that you can buy. And Mazda is doing quite well selling Mazda 3 hatchbacks.

I recently shopped an Astra (my Mazda 3 lease is up) because it is a good looking car, and reportedly it handles very well. Showroom examples were well put together but the interior did remind me of a G5-Cobalt.

However, I didn't buy an Astra because...

1) Good looking XR versions are very pricey "for a Saturn"
2) Interior lacks an arm rest, and doesnt quite live up to its premium price
3) Saturn lacks the brand image to go with a premium small car
4) Acceleration AND mileage not excellent - one of the 2 should be.
5) Saturn service is poor. This is counter to perception and the main reason I didnt not get another Saturn.

Our last service visit for my wife's Vue Redline resulted in us being told that they had "lost" our vehicle. It was at one of 2 shops and they didnt know which one. We waited 40 minutes, then had to leave and return the next day to get it. The latest in a long list of terrible service experiences at Saturn.

Saturn has lost its way.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts