1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOR RELEASE: March 30, 2004

Saturn Announces ION Red Line Pricing

New Performance Vehicle Debuts In Mid-April

Detroit - Saturn has announced that its first performance coupe - the ION Red Line - will carry a MSRP of $20,950 (including a destination freight charge of $565). The new vehicle goes into production in mid-April in Spring Hill, Tenn.

"We've placed an attractive price on a vehicle that offers a high level of performance," said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn general manager. "The ION Red Line is a capable vehicle engineered for sport compact enthusiasts. It's an exciting addition to our growing line-up."

The ION Red Line, which was developed with the GM Performance Division, includes a standard 2.0-liter supercharged, intercooled, 205 horsepower engine; a racetrack-bred suspension; large four-wheel disc brakes; 17-inch forged alloy wheels; and close-ratio 5-speed manual transmission. The vehicle sports a lowered suspension, high-flow stainless-steel exhaust, leather-accented Recaro performance seats, spoiler, and exterior styling specific to the Red Line model.

Other standard equipment includes: ABS, AM/FM stereo with CD and MP3 player, power windows and outside rearview mirrors, remote keyless entry and security alarm. Also, the performance coupe features standard dual rear access doors and Saturn's unique dent-resistant polymer body panels. A few options are available, like power sunroof, front and rear head-curtain side airbags and XM Satellite Radio.

Saturn's entry into performance vehicles is new and began with the VUE Red Line, which went into production in January. The Red Line series is part of a larger expansion of the Saturn portfolio, a line-up that will double within the next 30 months. Saturn has announced plans to build a small sports car on GM's Kappa architecture, a larger SUV, and an all-new midsize vehicle. This fall, Saturn will begin selling RELAY, a crossover sport van.

Here's the link:
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet...n=74&docid=3012

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Not bad..I had a chance to sit in one at local auto show, the RECARO performance seats really seem to hold you in the car. Nice looking little performance coupe, the quad doors are a nice touch. I would really like to see some real performance data on this car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good to see GM is focusing on the younger and "Moddin'" crowd. Unfortunately... for the same price I could get a Neon SRT-4 with better performance.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Great price point. There are a lot of Saturn fans out there that will be relieved that it isn't priced beyond reasonable means. Doesn't the torqueless Civic Si cost almost that much?

·
Registered
372 Posts
i agree with you, man.
The SRT-4 is about the same price, and is quicker, handles better, has
more power, and looks a hell of alot better.
I guess I have to wait for the vibe GXP

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@Mar 31 2004, 12:28 PM
i agree with you, man.
Hasn't the Neon platform been around in its current iteration for several years now? Isn't it on its way out soon? I'd rather get the new ION over an older platform Neon, the soon to be extinct SVT Focus, or the powerless Civic Si that all sell around the same price.

The Vibe GXP would interest me if it combined a supercharged GT engine with all-wheel-drive, but it would still probably be slower than the competition.

The GT is way slow off the line and only hits 180hp at very high revs.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would venture to say that the Red Line was a compromise between performance and comfort. The SRT-4 is more of a bare-bones racer. I'm not a fan of the look of the ION tho expectially when the SRT-4 looks just beautiful. O well, hopefully the Cobalt SS will be able to compete with the SRT-4

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
for my 21 grand i'd be in the ion. i can't believe they kept the price so in-line. it musta been tempting to inch up towards $25,000 or higher... but they were level-headed and knew they had to be reasonable. snazzy little car.

hmmm... just thought of a song... "little quad coupe" (with apologies to the beach boys).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry but as much I like it, it just doesn't seem right when your gauges sit like a Toyota Echo's and the car weights a good 2875lbs, the Cobalt SS from what I've heard *from tuner mags.* will weight almost 75 less, be tuned more aggressively and of course have more hp to boot and at or near the same price as the Red Line.

Still a very nice car that will help attrack people to Satarn so I'm pleased to see GM's getting in the groove with a tuner crowd car. The Vue is also a very nice car with the addition of the 250hp 3.5 V-6, that thing hauls balls for a little SUV *in comparison 50 more than the Escape or Tribute and only 25 off the TrailBlazer which is much larger*

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by ibechip@Mar 31 2004, 09:03 PM
I'm not a fan of the look of the ION tho expectially when the SRT-4 looks just beautiful.
usually i try to leave peoples opinons alone, but the SRT-4 beautiful? i've never heard that! it might look interesting... and be the buy of the decade... but dddddamn man! beautiful? i wouldn't even try to argue that the ion looks better... but yowza! beautiful?!? to each their own... :blink:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Originally posted by chev454ls+Mar 31 2004, 05:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chev454ls @ Mar 31 2004, 05:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maetrix66@Mar 31 2004, 12:28 PM

The SRT-4  looks a hell of alot better.
I have to disagree here, it is one FUGLY car. [/b][/quote]
I'd have to agree! While I'm no fan of the Ion (I neither like nor dislike it...it's just sort of there), the Neon is repulsive....she's the girl no one asked to the prom! ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Any performance numbers yet? 20k is a nice price, but I was expecting a little more than just 200 Hp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2 points to add. The Cobalt SS will be essentially the same as the redline. Same motor and probably same suspension work. If you think they're gonna put two different supercharged ecotec 2.0 in them, well you're smokin somethin good.

As for the SRT-4, the neon has been since day one advertised and pushed as a female's car. Not exactly the kind of base I'd start with, but whatever!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually the SS will have more power, not a different engine just more boost. Also the Cobalt will be lighter as it will require less bracing than the ION needs for its' plastic panels and 'quad' doors.
Highlander Posted on Mar 31 2004, 10:41 PM
the Neon is repulsive....she's the girl no one asked to the prom!
That's for sure! She is the ugly hooker who is fast but ugly. :lol: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@Mar 31 2004, 05:28 PM
i agree with you, man.
How do you know the SRT-4 handles better?

Saturn should have distinguished the ION redline a little more from the SRT-4.
They should have used a 6 speed manual and added stability control. The new '05
Vibe will bave Stabiltrak as an option.

Both the SRT-4 and Ion RL are ugly with that stupid looking spoiler.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
[/QUOTE]QUOTE (Maetrix66 @ Mar 31 2004, 05:28 PM)
i agree with you, man.

How do you know the SRT-4 handles better?

Saturn should have distinguished the ION redline a little more from the SRT-4.
They should have used a 6 speed manual and added stability control. The new '05
Vibe will bave Stabiltrak as an option.

Both the SRT-4 and Ion RL are ugly with that stupid looking spoiler.
I was going to say the same thing....does he have some advanced info? Because as far as I know neither car has gone head to head yet. I will reserve judgement until a production ION Redline and and SRT/4 line up next to each other with test equipment.

The SRT/4 is a great performance bargain for the money.

Faster-Maybe, it does have 230hp
Better handling-I would not count on that, the ION rides on a much newer platform that the Neon, which was introduced in 2000.
Looks-Thats a tall statement, the SRT/4 looks like a super-rice version of a Neon, with an "I wish I was a Supebird/Supra" wing on the back, which for some reason, cant be deleted, I dont know why!!!
The SRT/4 is a sedan....big minus for me in my book, I can deal with the ION quad doors, but not a full blown sedan....no way.
I guess the SRT/5 looks better to some than other, mostly to people who constantly need to be reminded that they are driving a sporty car.
Price wise-the ION Redline is $20,950 and the SRT/4 is $20,995.
But the ION comes with Saturns high customer satisfaction levels.

Also...I dont trust a car that has power front windows and manual rear windows, it makes me think...where else did they cut corners.

·
Registered
302 Posts
the neon line has a REPUTATION as being an awesome car the only thing is the generation it's based off of is a little more heavier and a little more plush but still an excellent handling car...the SRT-4 has a slightly wider turning circle but still handles extremely well especially having a suspension set up for launching at a drag strip theres a reason the SRT-4 did PHENOMENALLY well in the car and driver one lap of america beating corvettes vipers WRX's EVO's and even a lamborghini in this type of race

rumor is it only had a stage 2 upgrade limited slip differential and a coil over suspension all available from mopar performance catalog the ion redline is such a serious disappointment

according to sport compact car magazine the ion redline runs 0-60 in 7.2 seconds!!! and a 15.2 quarter mile time!! with a electronically governed redline that limits it's performance...this car is such a serious disappointment by GM shame on them for trying to tap in to the sport compact segment with such a car

http://www.redlineforums.com/showthread.ph...p?p=452#post452 theres another forum with the article scanned the only compliment they have is the recaro racing seats

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by chev454ls+Mar 31 2004, 05:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chev454ls @ Mar 31 2004, 05:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maetrix66@Mar 31 2004, 12:28 PM

The SRT-4  looks a hell of alot better.
I have to disagree here, it is one FUGLY car. [/b][/quote]
:D Agreed.

Unfortunately, a majority of the youth market doesn't.

I would personally pick a Red Line over any sport compact on the shelf right now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts