GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Trib carried an article regarding a speech that Sam Zell gave. In his lecture, he claims that offshore outsourcing is good because it creates jobs in the US.
There is nothing like sitting at a table, eating my bagel and reading the oration of a fool.
Now, if you took his speech and compared it to the US's economy, there should be no unemployment increase since EVERY person who has been laid off has become an entrepreneur and started a business of his/her own. In fact, if such a pipe dream even came close to reality, all these emerging businesses would require workers of which there would be such a shortage.
Now, if you know Sam Zell, he is an old man. And since he is old, you will find that his basis of wealth is founded on the US's old burgeoning economy of smokestacks and a strong manufacturing base. He didn't start out yesterday.
So, while I munched my bagel I figured that he is 1/2 correct. There probably is some guy in the kitchen who once had a factory job but who is now re-trained. To cook the bagels.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah.
He made his money on real estate speculation. He NEVER was inside of a manufacturing plant. So, his "good for the economy" talk is built upon a very narrow (and out of touch with mfg) occupation. Maybe it is good for guys like him-home foreclosures can really be a profitable area of business.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts