Sam Schmidt was left a quadriplegic after hitting the wall at Walt Disney World Speedway in 2000-- but last Sunday, Sam drove a Corvette Z06 to 152 mph around the Brickyard.

Arrow Electronics (also the title sponsor of his IndyCar team, which happened to take pole the same day) developed a system that replaces the steering and pedal controls with head positions and breath controls.

Using motion capture Schmidt steers the car with his head--infrared cameras mounted on the dash capture his head movements from a set of sensor outfitted sunglasses.

Stopping and accelerating is even more incredible. If Sam wants to go faster he blows down a tube, if he wants to hit the brakes he sucks on it. Simple really.

He drove the Z06 for 4 laps at Indianapolis, averaging 108 mph and topping out at 152 mph, setting a new speed record for semi-autonomous cars in the process.

"It's amazing to me how similar this project has been to running a race team," Schmidt told Motorsport.com. "It's truly been a team effort, where everyone gives input, everyone does research, and if we go better it's a team effort, if we don't, it's a team effort.

"And it's an example of technology as a whole. The only thing constant in technology is change. When you think about what your cellphone looked like five years ago, and look at it now, you've seen a lot of change. Well, this system has evolved from something that was a bit crude but effective in 2014, then it became something sophisticated enough that I could drive at Long Beach and Sonoma and feel comfortable on a road course, to now this where I can go substantially faster.

"Now obviously the car is a lot more powerful, that's part of it, but more importantly, the advancements Arrow have made in the last six months are incredible. The previous system required total darkness in the car, but they've advanced the cameras so we can go from the baseball cap with beacons on it to sunglasses, which is a big help with accuracy and also comfort.

"And the switch to sip-'n'-puff technology for gas and brakes is a big help, a massive help. The amazing thing about it is that it is just like using your foot. If you just puff into the tube, it goes a little; if you blow hard, the thing launches! And the same with the brakes; very easy to modulate. So it's very intuitive.

"The only drama that remains is that as a driver, you're trained to look a long way ahead. So around here, someone like James [Hinchcliffe] as he goes into Turn 1, is already looking at Turn 2 because you're gonna be there in a couple of seconds. But now I can't do that, because if I do, I turn the car!

"So I have to stay very focused on just what's directly ahead and I can tell you that is mentally exhausting - more mentally draining than driving a racecar!"

I think this is self driving tech we can all get behind...