·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sales to dictate Grand Am's future
Production will continue at least until year's end
Barbara Wieland
Lansing State Journal

The Lansing-made Pontiac Grand Am is being replaced by the Pontiac G6 this year - but that doesn't mean the end is near for the venerable vehicle.

Production of some General Motors Corp.'s Grand Am models will continue through the end of the year and may be extended, depending on sales performance.

"Market conditions will dictate how long," said GM spokeswoman Kim Carpenter.

If recent sales figures are any indication, that could be some time. GM sales figures for May showed the Grand Am scoring a 61 percent gain over last year.

Last fall, GM said it would begin production of the G6 in Lake Orion in the third quarter. The G6 eventually will replace the Grand Am as the midsized car in Pontiac's lineup, said Pontiac-GMC spokesman Tom Beaman.

The carmaker has told dealers that two-door Grand Ams marked for dealer lots will be made throughout the year, said Duane Earl, new car sales manager at Sawyers Pontiac in Lansing. Next year, he said, GM will only make Grand Ams for fleet sales.

Full Article Here

Also See...

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
They should just make it into a fleet vehicle.

That said, I'm sure there will continue to be demand given the incentives on the car right now. Base model is about the same price as a stripper Civic. It's not a bad car just a bit too plasitcy and getting a bit old.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hasn't it been their intention all along to keep the Grand Am available for fleet sales until 2006? At least that's what I've been reading. The Grand Am would be replaced as a fleet car when they finally had the G6 Ecotec models ready for the cross over.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
AAHHHHHH (Grand Am Classic) enyone? This will be the GENERIC Pontiac in the same way the Malibu Classic is the GENERIC Chevy. I guess for rentel fleets its O.K. <_< But to me it still deluts the brand. :angry:

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
I actually read that GM will be keeping the Grand Am for fleet duty only, while the G6 will serve solely retail sales. In this way, the 'experts' at Bloomberg et al. can compare the sales of the 2004 GA to its replacement, the 2005 G6, and show how Detroit is in retreat around the world, since we know the retail-only G6 sedan [initially] won't outsell the retail and fleet sales of the 2004 GA coupe and sedan.

They did this with the 2003 Malibu and the 2004 Malibu and 2004 Classic, so why not let them do the same with the 2004 Grand Am and the 2005 GA and G6?! Then they can demonstrate their automotive acumen!

5,934 Posts
With the G6 coming out, I think they should just kill the Grand Am. Because isn't the G6 the Grand Am replacement?

The Grand Am is to plastic-y, and I think could take away from the G6 on dealer lots. The G6 is a giant leap for GM, from what I have seen thus far at least, in selection of materials for both exteriors and interiors.

The G6 and Grand Am will be going after the same buyer.

;)

·
Registered
739 Posts
But if the Grand Am is fleet sales only then it won't cut into the same target base. So there really is no harm in having both cars. They won't share lot space, with the exception of the one year Grand Am GT cross over period. The G6 will be too "luxurious" for the average mid-size fleet and rental slot. So give your renters a Grand Am to bang around in. It'll be cheaper to repair and maintain. Well why not give your renters a better looking and performing option? Because when people want something more classy they typically go for a larger sedan. The mid-size is for those who just want a decent car that has room to fit a few extra people or small cargo.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Believe it or not lots and lots of people are happy with Grand Ams. They are slightly sporty, cheap, reliable, and easy to maintain. For most people, that's all they need, or want. I would think people who would want one wouldn't even look at a G6. Hey, here's something else kind of funny---there are Trackers sitting right next to Equinoxes on Chevy lots.

·
Registered
922 Posts
shoulda put a pic of the new GA's interior, because the one shown sure isnt. I think they should leave the coupe around untill the G6 one comes out. The GA really isnt that bad of a car, but I sure was pissed when the SC/T package didnt match what was promissed... even at plant level we were told it was getting supercharged with a working hood, ground effects etc.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Originally posted by LGRpup@Jun 5 2004, 12:48 AM
shoulda put a pic of the new GA's interior, because the one shown sure isnt.  I think they should leave the coupe around untill the G6 one comes out.  The GA really isnt that bad of a car, but I sure was pissed when the SC/T package didnt match what was promissed... even at plant level we were told it was getting supercharged with a working hood, ground effects etc.
Yeah, they really dropped the ball on that. The concept went back to 2000, I believe, when they first rolled it out for a Motor Trend feature story. That was the article that got everybody dreaming about a Grand Am based GTO. Remember that? Hell, that's the route they should've gone. It would've been just like the original idea of taking a stock Pontiac and creating a muscle car monster out of it. But that's another rant for another time.

The SC/T package never made it past the appearance stage and that's a down right shame. Hell, they didn't even offer the nice lower airdam chin trim that was shown on the SC/T. Second mistake was never making the convertible and subsequently the SC/T roadster. Functional hood scoops? I would've been happy with fully functioning intakes... period. Those holes on the front of all your GT's amount to nothing. Take a look and see where they direct the air. It's not to your engine that's for sure. So you end up paying an extra $5000 over a base SE for a GT that gives you 5 extra horses and some body cladding? I love my 2000 GA SE1, don't get me wrong. But at least the G6 will give you some power in exchange for those greenbacks.

And is it just me or has the MSRP gone up big time for the Grand Am line in the past year? And seriously... what is that interior picture from? Because this is what I'm used to seeing inside a new Grand Am:

edit: Ah... it's a '98.

·
Registered
640 Posts
And seriously... what is that interior picture from? Because this is what I'm used to seeing inside a new Grand Am:

Try a sunfire. The Grand Am is a decent car. Its just way past its prime. Keep it in the fleets. Its time to move on..

·
Registered
739 Posts
That's a Sunfire? Looks exactly like the previous generation Grand Am.

hmm.... I still maintain it's a Grand Am after looking at all the shots. Anyway, it's not important to the topic so no big deal.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I updated the photo to reflect current Grand Ams... :D Gotta have the "Bra humps"

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am a grand am owners myself bought a new one in 2002. I also own a saturn and pontiac owners forum. First yes that picture on the top is a picture from the current grand am's interior 99-04 hasnt changed any. I agree the use of plastic in the interior is excessive I painted my trim pieces and it looks great. However I have noticed thisnt isnt a problem just with the Grand Am but with many GM vehicles. The Grand Am was a great vehicle in 99 when it came out. It was sporty and dependable and a great value but most of the other auto brands didnt update their vehicles until a few years later thats why the grand am was so good. But now that they have the grand am has fallen behind because its lacking in many features that current vehicles have. A lot of grand am owners dont like the G6. I however am not one of them. I think the G6 is a great step forward and plan on purchasing one myself if I dont have the money for a GTO. SO based on what I have seen from current grand am owenrs I would say to keep the grand am around if sales stay respectable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by CyberianHusky+Jun 5 2004, 03:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CyberianHusky @ Jun 5 2004, 03:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LGRpup@Jun 5 2004, 12:48 AM
shoulda put a pic of the new GA's interior, because the one shown sure isnt.  I think they should leave the coupe around untill the G6 one comes out.  The GA really isnt that bad of a car, but I sure was pissed when the SC/T package didnt match what was promissed... even at plant level we were told it was getting supercharged with a working hood, ground effects etc.
Yeah, they really dropped the ball on that. The concept went back to 2000, I believe, when they first rolled it out for a Motor Trend feature story. That was the article that got everybody dreaming about a Grand Am based GTO. Remember that? Hell, that's the route they should've gone. It would've been just like the original idea of taking a stock Pontiac and creating a muscle car monster out of it. But that's another rant for another time.

The SC/T package never made it past the appearance stage and that's a down right shame. Hell, they didn't even offer the nice lower airdam chin trim that was shown on the SC/T. Second mistake was never making the convertible and subsequently the SC/T roadster. Functional hood scoops? I would've been happy with fully functioning intakes... period. Those holes on the front of all your GT's amount to nothing. Take a look and see where they direct the air. It's not to your engine that's for sure. So you end up paying an extra $5000 over a base SE for a GT that gives you 5 extra horses and some body cladding? I love my 2000 GA SE1, don't get me wrong. But at least the G6 will give you some power in exchange for those greenbacks.

And is it just me or has the MSRP gone up big time for the Grand Am line in the past year? And seriously... what is that interior picture from? Because this is what I'm used to seeing inside a new Grand Am:

edit: Ah... it's a '98. [/b][/quote]
I like how SE's look, especially with 16" rims, but 5 HP and different body cladding isn't the only thing GT has. GT gets 4 wheel disc brakes, stiffer suspension, different seats, leather wrapped goodies. As I said, I don't mind the looks of SE's because when I was shopping for a new car, I almost bought a 02 SE1 with V6. But the GT that I got was only $1500 more.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Originally posted by AznGA@Jun 10 2004, 06:08 AM
I like how SE's look, especially with 16" rims, but 5 HP and different body cladding isn't the only thing GT has. GT gets 4 wheel disc brakes, stiffer suspension, different seats, leather wrapped goodies. As I said, I don't mind the looks of SE's because when I was shopping for a new car, I almost bought a 02 SE1 with V6. But the GT that I got was only $1500 more.
Yeah there are a lot of differences between the GT and SE's than just the 5 hp. The SE2 comes with all the leather wrapped stuff that the GT does but you do get the slightly different seats with the open headrests like you had said sport tuned suspension and you have to love the rear disc brakes. I originally was going to get a GT1 but at the time insurance was going to kill me. I also agree with the rims comment i have the 16 inch chrometech rims and love them they add a great look to the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts