Honda 80,249 (23.6)
Chevrolet 76,851 (5.4)
Ford 76,538 (-1.1)

YTD 2004 Car Sales (percent change 2003):

Toyota 381,440 (3.6)
Chevrolet 360,922 (15.2)
Ford 327,151 (-9.5)
Honda 298,350

Much to my chagrin, Toyota had a stellar May 2004...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by silverado_13@Jun 5 2004, 07:08 PM
It's good to see chevy almost number 1 again. I hope they can overtake Toyota.
i can see it happening in a year or so when all the new modles are out at one time. and toyotas modles just keep getting uglier... the new (cant think of name, largest toyota) is going to look a lot like the prius...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat+Jun 5 2004, 07:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smilingoat @ Jun 5 2004, 07:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-silverado_13@Jun 5 2004, 07:08 PM
It's good to see chevy almost number 1 again.  I hope they can overtake Toyota.
i can see it happening in a year or so when all the new modles are out at one time. and toyotas modles just keep getting uglier... the new (cant think of name, largest toyota) is going to look a lot like the prius... [/b][/quote]
avalon? anyway, most of the imports are looking like a$$ now...especially honduh and toyota...and even BMW....

·
Registered
236 Posts
But people will still buy them because "They have much better build quality and reliability than those domestics." <_<

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Boy, Toyota just keeps on going. Some how they are able to keep the Camry going even though it is how old?

The Cobalt and redesigned Malibus might be able to get Chevy over the hump, but I'm not so sure about that. Unless things change, I see Chevy behind Toyota at the end of the year.

And let's not forget about Ford. The lineup is falling apart due to the older Taurus and no Contour replacement, but the Five Hundred, the Mustang, and the ever promising "Futura" will be in the lineup next year. Will they "cause some problems"? I don't know, but it seems promising to me.

As to the next Toyota Avalon, I've read that it looks nothing like the picture floating around. The rumor I read about the upcoming Avalon is that it looks like a 300M or 300C (the person was confused about this), but he said it had a 270 hp 3.5 V-6 and a to-die-for interior. I have no idea if this rumor is true or not. I read it in a Lexus broad I sometimes visit, and it supposedily came from a Toyota worker in Kentucky. Take it for what it its worth. It could be big trouble or just another ugly shot from Toyota. We'll have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
hondas sales performance baffles me. toyota has a full line-up of vehicles, from a tiny econobox to a full-size SUV. same with chevrolet and ford. it's understandable they'll sell a few. honda has such a limited portfolio, though, and still sell in incredible numbers.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Tiny portfolio?

I don't think so.

They have a small car in 3 formats: Civic: Coupe, Sedan, Hatchback
They have a midsize car: Accord: Coupe & Sedan
They have 2 SUVs: CRV & Pilot
They have a "thing": Honda Element
They have a sporty convertible: S2000
They have a minivan: Odyssey

They have 2 hybrids: Element and Civic Hybrid

Aside from a pickup truck (coming soon) and a full-size sedan (Acura division), Honda's lineup is pretty complete.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jun 7 2004, 01:10 PM
Tiny portfolio?

I don't think so.

They have a small car in 3 formats: Civic: Coupe, Sedan, Hatchback
They have a midsize car: Accord: Coupe & Sedan
They have 2 SUVs: CRV & Pilot
They have a "thing": Honda Element
They have a sporty convertible: S2000
They have a minivan: Odyssey

They have 2 hybrids: Element and Civic Hybrid

Aside from a pickup truck (coming soon) and a full-size sedan (Acura division), Honda's lineup is pretty complete.
compared to toyota:

echo (2-door & sedan)
corolla (sedan)
MR2 spyder ('vert)
celica (coupe)
matrix (wagon)
prius (hybrid sedan)
camry (sedan, solara coupe & 'vert)
avalon (sedan)

rav4 (SUV)
highlander (SUV)
4runner (SUV)
sequoia (SUV)
landcruiser (SUV)

sienna (minivan)

tacoma (truck; 3 versions)
tundra (truck; 3 versions)

add scion and lexus, and you've got a whole buncha vehicles.

i see a big difference. yes, honda has a complete line, but their complete line features fewer vehicles than any other complete line i know of. i count 7 honda cars to toyota's 11. and 2 honda SUVs to toyotas 5. it just strikes me that honda manages to squeeze more people into their exisiting vehicles than most other companies. and 4 of the 7 honda's listed are versions of the same car! i think that's very efficient.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by AJR@Jun 7 2004, 06:36 AM
As to the next Toyota Avalon, I've read that it looks nothing like the picture floating around. The rumor I read about the upcoming Avalon is that it looks like a 300M or 300C (the person was confused about this), but he said it had a 270 hp 3.5 V-6 and a to-die-for interior. I have no idea if this rumor is true or not. I read it in a Lexus broad I sometimes visit, and it supposedily came from a Toyota worker in Kentucky. Take it for what it its worth. It could be big trouble or just another ugly shot from Toyota. We'll have to wait and see.
From what I've seen on previous posts, the next generation Avalon looks like an oversized Prius. Therefore, I'm not a fan of it, so I hope they produce it in that form!

In terms of the Chevrolet-Toyota battle, while the Avalon obviously boosts Toyota's sales, and Chevrolet has no counterpart to the Avalon, I see the Avalon more as a threat to the LeSabre. So, it would seem that Buick is the division that will have to counter the Avalon, which shouldn't be too difficult. Buick can certainly match (exceed?) Toyota's quality, and Toyota certainly doesn't set the styling bar too high.

In reference to your source's opinion of the next generation Avalon, I agree with your discrediting his point-of-view: his opinion is not very objective, especially since his job partially depends on the success of the next Avalon, which is built alongside the Camry in Kentucky.

And from what I've seen, the similarly-priced Hemi 300C has it all over the next generation Avalon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts