GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know this and this is all I know. Having attended the two most attended 2004 North American auto shows this year. The droves around the GTO just did not materialize. I did not observe any “gatherings” around the GTO as I did around the Mustang. I observed one person asking, “Where is the GTO” this person was surprised to see what they then described as “the Grand Am. So now I’m hearing rumors that the GTO is just a test market vehicle?

I will make this comment; the outside of the GTO won’t draw me to the inside. Even knowing while sitting inside that the performance may meet my expectations; it’s knowing what’s on the outside that keeps me away.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Liking the GTO or not, I must say this about GM.
They did a half hearted attempt of promoting it at the Chicago Auto show.
Cadillac CTS-V was on its own pedestal.
The Ford Mustang had its own roped off area nicely beside the Ford GT which just about drew 1/2 of the population of the satate of Illinois (couldn't get near the car because of the crowd). so the Mustang got lookers due to location.

The GTO had 2 models on the floor that were sort of secluded. I had to ask where they were since they were not shown off above the other GM cars.
The phrase "test vehicle" is poison since who wants one of those? I don't think that GM would ever use that term.

The Corvette always draws a crowd since it has a broad base of appeal. Everybody likes to be seen with them-the most photographed car at the show. The Mustang draws a crowd since it is more affordable and has the muscle car look. The younger generation (20's) are looking at the Mazda Protoges and other tuner cars. The GTO doesn't have this broad base of people so it cannotenjoy the limelight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not surprised of the reception the Falsey GTO :flush: received. I don't understand how Marketing can be so detached from what the end user will buy.
When Ford decided to bring back the mystique of the Mustang they used what made it successful not what made it fail in it's dismal days. Ditto for the new Ford GT.
My first car was a 1973 Ford Torino Sport that looked the part but the emissions killed it. My second Ford was a late 80's Ford Ranger pick up that was another dog. There is an ole saying "never two without three" so when the 2005 Ford Cobra makes the scene I will be tempted. That could all change if GM were to announce that the NEW GTO will look like the early GTO's. I'll bet the farm that would happen so I'm looking forward to my 2005 Mustang SVT. Maybe it will be Canary yellow like my 73.

PS I have a 95 Sonoma with 98km but I won't be replacing with the Canyon/Colorado. The idea of a 5cylinder is a turn off. The inlin 6 would have tempted me. I'll bet the same dismal sales figure for the Canyon/Colorado.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Mar 23 2004, 05:07 PM
Liking the GTO or not, I must say this about GM.
They did a half hearted attempt of promoting it at the Chicago Auto show.
Cadillac CTS-V was on its own pedestal.
The Ford Mustang had its own roped off area nicely beside the Ford GT which just about drew 1/2 of the population of the satate of Illinois (couldn't get near the car because of the crowd). so the Mustang got lookers due to location.

The GTO had 2 models on the floor that were sort of secluded. I had to ask where they were since they were not shown off above the other GM cars.
The phrase "test vehicle" is poison since who wants one of those? I don't think that GM would ever use that term.

The Corvette always draws a crowd since it has a broad base of appeal. Everybody likes to be seen with them-the most photographed car at the show. The Mustang draws a crowd since it is more affordable and has the muscle car look. The younger generation (20's) are looking at the Mazda Protoges and other tuner cars. The GTO doesn't have this broad base of people so it cannotenjoy the limelight.
Not test vehicle. Test market vehicle. Testing the market with the GTO to look at the potential furture direction for this type of car.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Test anything vehicle.
Sounds like a person sticking his foot in the water before jumping in. A half-hearted approach that can go either way. The one concept that the mfr must get across is confidence in what is being sold. Without that, the customer doesn't have that warm feeling. Racing, for instance, gives an attitude of confidence in the product.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I had heard earlier that 606 GTO sold in Feb.

Now I read the link and it reads "GTO had 606 deliveries"

Maybe I am reading this wrong.... But deliveries are NOT sales.

To me it sounds like dealership in all received 606 on delivery (showroom and test drives???). But the figures for sales must have been less.

:type:

Does not bode well for GTO.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
So, I was a little optimistic using the delivery figures as sales figures. I was interpreting the talk that all the cars were spoken for. If not, it does bode poorly for its introduction.
I would think that the initial months would be strong. Especially since it's spring time up north.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I think the GTO will sell just fine given time becouse the carguys are in the know about it as long as the dealerships dont do (EXTREAM MARKUPS) on the sticker. If I could afford it I would buy one TODAY! :(

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
As far as I know...deliveries mean that the car was delivered to the ultimate customer i.e the new owner. Most dealerships floorplan their inventory..so when the car arrives at the dealership it's considered "on the ground", but not sold.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I was just reading the newspaper and a dealership by my house has the GTO reduced to 30k from over 33k.

:ninja:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
If the dealer is discounting $3000 in the paper, he's willing to go lower on the showroom floor.
My neighbor will be pissed about that.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Originally posted by actionjack@Mar 24 2004, 11:04 PM
I was just reading the newspaper and a dealership by my house has the GTO reduced to 30k from over 33k.

:ninja:
Where is this at?

Damn if I could get a GTO for 30k I would be probably driving it right now!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by usafang@Mar 23 2004, 07:04 PM

PS I have a 95 Sonoma with 98km but I won't be replacing with the Canyon/Colorado. The idea of a 5cylinder is a turn off. The inlin 6 would have tempted me. I'll bet the same dismal sales figure for the Canyon/Colorado.
for me too a I6 is more tempting than anything else. BUT, I would get a I5 any day over a V6 or I4 given they have the same displacement.

The I5 is a well balanced design, just remember those 300D mercedes used to make 25 years ago: probably the most reliable engine ever...

the problem with a large displacement I6 is a packaging one.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I sat in one the other day and looked it over really good and it was really (NISE)!! The intearer was impressive and the space was roomy and comfy front and back. The salesman told me they had sold 4 in the last 2 weeks to people who dident know it existed. He told me one guy came in to buy a GMC truck and saw one doing a burnout then REALIZEING it was RWD he bought one that day. LUCKY *******!!!!!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Carguy says he would immediatley buy a GTO if he could afford it. There is the delemma. The GTO originally was the performence car that people like Carguy could afford. Now it is Pontiacs flagship priced at over 30 grand. Ford is bringing out the new Mustang and a GT will cost about 25 grand with near the same performence as the GTO. Ford kept the Mustang in the affordable performence catagory. The GTO and Mustang were direct compeditors once, they still shoud be. That is the mistake Pontiac made.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts