GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT (Reuters) - The country that brought the world some its finest vodkas may soon sell cars that won't start if you've had one drink too many for the road.
Swedish car company Saab said on Thursday it was considering offering with its cars a key fob with a built-in breath analyzer the size of a pin-head that would shut down the engine if the driver had more to drink than the legal limit.

The "Alcokey" is equipped with a small mouthpiece into which a driver must blow to determine an alcohol level. Saab, a division of General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - News), said the car could sell well in Europe, where company-operated fleet cars for executives are common.

"Those companies will want to put a good, positive face forward to the public and one of the ways that they can do that is to equip their fleet of vehicles with an item like this to ensure that their employees don't drink and drive," Saab spokesman Kevin Smith said.

Corporate fleets are less popular in the United States. But Americans, especially with driving-age children, may also be interested in Saab and the Alcokey, which could arrive on the market within a few years, Smith said.

"We certainly applaud any of these major automotive companies that are concerned about the drunk driving issue, who are coming up with innovative ways to deal with the problem," said Wendy Hamilton, president of the U.S. chapter of Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD).

Alcokey is still under development but could cost about $300, a fraction of the cost of a similar system if installed inside the vehicle, Saab said. The device could eventually be offered by GM's mainstream American brands such as Chevrolet, Cadillac, Pontiac and Buick, Smith said.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
579 Posts
Originally posted by chev454ls@Jun 18 2004, 03:37 AM
My only question is, what will keep the drunks from finding someone to blow for them?
Nobody would be dumb enough to accept that legal liability (e.g. if you were so retarded as to blow for someone you knew was drunk and they kill someone your @$$ it grass).

BTW I'll take my alco-fob attached to that lime-yellow 9-3 convertable Mr. fleet manager sir B)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Jun 18 2004, 12:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Jun 18 2004, 12:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nsap@Jun 18 2004, 04:01 AM
Why is this in the Competition board? ;)
was gunna ask the same thing.... [/b][/quote]
whoops, being tired mistake :p

·
Registered
954 Posts
We've had this in BC for a while now. I know a few people in town who've had it (dumb 20 year olds) for too many DUIs. Good idea but it's really simple to get past.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Ontario installs more of these than all other jurisdictions combines last I heard (once you have a DUI it's pretty much the only way to ever get your liscense back), and apparently they really do work.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The governor of New Mexico wants breathalyzers installed on EVERY CAR in the state in order to curb the state's (admittedly very bad) DUI problem.

EVERY CAR. Even if you've sworn off the drink for life, you are guilty until proven innocent if this goes through.

Of course they COULD just enforce the existing laws, but nah.

A while back, a guy from the Bureau of Indian Affairs was in a company truck and completely drunk. He went the wrong way down the interstate and rammed another car head-on. He walked away. All 4 people in the other car were killed.

He got a small fine. No suspended license, no jail time, NOTHING. He didn't even lose his damn job.

And the governor has no idea why there's such a horrible DUI problem here.

I'll move before I'll let the government treat me like a criminal.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
and can someone tell me what is the deal with the drunk/dead cat? I thought it was a lot of beer foam.. but I saw it had a tail!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is a retarted idea. It will only be about 2 weeks till someone sells a hand operated air pump that fits on the tester.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I think its a good idea if to make people who have an existing DUI use this type of system ( and they have to pay for it if they want to drive). Thats about as far as I would go though. That governor saying he wants it on every car in the state can go *BLEEP*

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't drink period but I wouldn't mind something like this on every car at all. An INCREDIBLY small annoyance to deal with for such a potentially huge gain (TENS OF THOUSANDS of people are killed in NA each year by drunk drivers! Boo F*cking Hoo if you have to blow into a little hose!)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think its more along the lines of

Why should I have to do this, if I've never drank a beer in my life, never had any kinda of violation against me, but because of a few dumbasses I have to prove my sobriety to drive the car, that I bought, and took a test get the licence that I have, which is a licence to drive. I say take away beer all together. It has not real prupose other than replacing oxygen in your blood stream and causing you to lose brain cells, thin your blood, pass out and make stupid choices... like driving drunk.

I'll be damned if I have to blow into my key fob to start my car. I'll start driving a turbo charged brigs and straton around mow your yard for a dollar MOTHERF***** ;)

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
not sure how i feel about this. i don't drink and drive so i shouldn't have to blow into my key (like akumaknight says), but at the same time if that's all it would take to stop drunk drivers then it's a small price to pay (like stewacide says). GM_Guy81 has it right i think... aim this at the offenders. only problem is they have to be caught first, which might be too late for some people.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
This is a retarted idea. It will only be about 2 weeks till someone sells a hand operated air pump that fits on the tester.

i've actually heard of these systems being beaten by a balloon. blow it up, go party, and then use it to blow for you once you're loaded. it's not that tough to defeat, from what i gather. there are some professional drunks out there that will do anything to not let go of their vice of drunk driving. it's sad.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Jun 18 2004, 03:03 PM
i've actually heard of these systems being beaten by a balloon. blow it up, go party, and then use it to blow for you once you're loaded. it's not that tough to defeat, from what i gather. there are some professional drunks out there that will do anything to not let go of their vice of drunk driving. it's sad.
oh good lord! that's crazy! at that point they're not just making a bad judgement call after an evening out (which i can't condone, but can at least understand)... they're planning ahead and making arrangements so that they can drink and drive! scary is right! it takes one stupid decision to get into your car drunk and drive off... but defeating a system like this takes some effort. it's a sad day when people put effort into drinking and driving.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I hate "over regulation" like this; it seems someone is just being lazy and avoiding the real issue of dealing with alcohol abuse in the first place. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a proposal that would require those with drunk driving offenses to purchase one of these devices (I believe this would be as far as it goes in the USA). The offender already has their license revoked for a period of time (at least here in Colorado) and the BAC for a DUI is lower now days, so this could be just another deterrent for repeating the offence.

I believe in education first. I personally don't think we would need devices like this if people were properly educated about the harmful effects of alcohol abuse, let alone the dangers of drunk driving. If therapy was better for the DUI offender, I don't believe there would be as many repeat offenders either. Enough with the scare tactics and "over regulation" like this, educating people accordingly is preventative too. The only thing they stressed in my driving classes and driving schools was how much I could drink BEFORE OR TO AVOID being legally drunk. I think it would be more effective if people were taught why NOT to abuse alcohol in the first place. MHO....

·
Registered
640 Posts
I could see buying a system like this if I had a fleet. To many lawsuits.
If someone wants to put it in there kids car or whatever fine, don't shove it down my throat.

I wouldn't buy a car that forced me to purchase such an item. If they tried to force me to have it, I would say one thing "BLOW ME". :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts