GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saab 9-3 convertible takes top open car design award
Posted by: kak on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 08:03 PM CET

The new Saab 9-3 Convertible, on display to the British public for the first time at The Sunday Times Motor Show Live, has won a major industry award. The Institute of Vehicle Engineers (IVehE) has given its prestigious Sporting Open Top award to the stunning Convertible with the citation: "Engineering judges who understand the special challenges of designing a good soft top car were impressed by the fine detail of the model and its well-tailored hood, putting it in first place."

Says Saab GB managing director Jonathan Nash: "This is excellent news. We will exceed our sales target for the 9-3 Convertible this year, and I am battling with my European colleagues to get as many extra models as we can to satisfy the UK market."

The 35 IVehE judges made up of automotive design, engineering and manufacturing experts from the Institute's membership, assessed all the eligible vehicles from a pure design and quality standpoint, placing each vehicle in the context of its intended market sector.

The Saab 9-3 Convertible has added a stylish Scandinavian open top dimension to the exciting 9-3 range and represents the most significant advance Saab has made in two decades of designing four-seater, four season, soft tops.

It has advanced automatic soft top operation, a stiffened body structure and "DynaCage" rollover protection with pop-up roll bars. On-the-road prices start at £23,895

Full Article Here

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is GMs most beautiful and desirous car by a WIDE margin, and definately only of the best looking cars on the planet (and quite possible the best looking non-British car).

If I won the lottery today I'd be at the Saab dealership tomorow buying that exact car as pictured.

·
Registered
39 Posts
well i wonder what "people" will think of the g6 convertible, cuz it's supposed to be based on the saab convertible. itll probably be reviewed blandly and the non-domestic bias will be seen again.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you desire a FWD car with a little turbo 4-banger over all the other cars GM makes then there is something wrong with you. :p

·
Registered
640 Posts
The 9-3 is a great looking car. The convertible is even better. You must be crazy to buy a volvo or an audi over this one.

Why do you think they gave it a soft top and will give the G6 a hard top?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Originally posted by jwvrod@Jun 5 2004, 07:06 PM
The 9-3 is a great looking car. The convertible is even better. You must be crazy to buy a volvo or an audi over this one.

Because the G6 will be a lot longer and can fit a hardtop.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I've seen some very nice looking 9-3 convertibles, with rims and mild bodykits, still very passive looking..in a very aggressive way...if that makes any sense...either way, gorgeous car, couldnt agree more with the article

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by jwvrod@Jun 5 2004, 01:06 PM

HEY! My mother drives an A4 convertible! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts