1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not bad, and I dont see rebadge at all.

http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?arti...2&sid=181&n=157

Preview: 2005 Saab 9-7X
The Swedes’ first SUV comes from America – but does its soul still reside in Gothenburg?
Saab at last has the vehicle it hopes will keep some of its buyers from defecting to SUVs of their own. It's Saab's own mid-size SUV, the 2005 9-7X, which bows at the New York Auto Show this week and will be available exclusively in North America.

With the 9-7X Saab is expanding its model lines to four. The Swedish brand is the fastest growing European premium nameplate on the American market, but has been missing the light-truck segment's booming sales. With its own mid-luxury SUV Saab hopes to grab its fair share of that market, which is predicted to be as big as 470,000 units by the end of 2005.

The driving force behind adding the sport-ute was market research that revealed that 39 percent of Saab drivers in the U.S. have a SUV in the household, whereas nearly 30 percent of the Saab customers have left the brand to purchase a four-door SUV.

For the 9-7X Saab had to turn to Chevrolet. The new Saab is technically based on the TrailBlazer/GMC Envoy and will be built in Ohio, becoming the second Saab with the 9-2X that is not assembled in Sweden and will not (yet) be marketed in Europe
I like it!! :woot2:

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
You should see the AERO version...verry agressive...though I prefer this Linear or Arc (Not sure which one this will be).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'd like to see its rear end before saying anything... that's where the other 360s have been virtually identical. I must say not bad... I'd like to see some more pix before saying anything else.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is this good? I know embargo is still a day away, but wasnt sure.

So there is more then one model? cool!

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
The Embargo is for Midnight tonight (or tommorow morning depending on how you look at it.) TCC must have recieved posting privelages (similar to how we got privelages to the STS and VeLite pics.) So they are legit. The Aero (well it looks like an aero anywas) is cool, though I like the way the Linear/Arc model (pictured) looks better. The Aero has agressive wheels with many spokes and its all black with a silver lower portion just on the lower front portion of the bumper.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
The 9-7x's interior is SAAB SPECIFIC PEOPLE!!! It has a slight "Hockey-Stick-Shape" to it that is a characteristic of most SAABs. There is a lot of wood, but it doesn't look cheap. Interior materials look good and I hear that (GET THIS) the ignition is on the console between the front seats, way to go SAAB!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
looks good, although i do see a lot of Envoy in the rear section there.. overall, though, much better than i expected. good for Saab.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
I actually see a LOT of Rainier, once you see the actual rear pics you'll see its a Rainier with different taillight elements. I think it would have looked better with the Envoy's futurisic styling in the rear....

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Visually, good.

Mechanically, disappointing:

"Saab offers the 9-7X with a choice of two engines: the 4.2-liter in-line six with 275 hp and a maximum torque of 275 lb-ft and the 5.3-liter V-8 with 300 hp and 330 lb-ft of torque. Both engines are teamed to a four-speed automatic transmission. "

Sounds like a TBz

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Apr 6 2004, 06:06 PM
The rear is unexpected...you'll see what I mean when it comes out :p
oh ive seen it, it looks good, but remindes me of the rainier, call me crazy if you must, but i see it... it looks great in black also :p

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 9-7x doesn't look that bad at all. It's attractive even. I wish GM had've used the Vue/Equinox platform though. Saab doesn't really need a truck. I'm sure a strengthened version of the lambda platform would've done nicely. At least the interior sounds like a traditional Saab. What's so funny is.., this may be the best version of the Trailblazer platform to date.

Maybe there's a turbo 4.2 liter aero version in the works...

·
Registered
43,909 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Apr 6 2004, 11:39 AM
I actually see a LOT of Rainier, once you see the actual rear pics you'll see its a Rainier with different taillight elements. I think it would have looked better with the Envoy's futurisic styling in the rear....
<_<
I actually see some 4Runner in the rear portions of the vehicle.
I'm more interested in seeing the interior. Much surprised that the vehicle.... I expected more rebadge.

Not too enthusiastic about the engines.... but if this is a "placeholder" for a future 9-7X... then I can live with it.

·
Registered
43,909 Posts
Originally posted by keyjack5024@Apr 6 2004, 01:46 PM
The 9-7x doesn't look that bad at all. It's attractive even. I wish GM had've used the Vue/Equinox platform though. Saab doesn't really need a truck. I'm sure a strengthened version of the lambda platform would've done nicely. At least the interior sounds like a traditional Saab. What's so funny is.., this may be the best version of the Trailblazer platform to date.

Maybe there's a turbo 4.2 liter aero version in the works...
With all the false starts the 9-7X has had over the past couple of years, this is a decent car. VUW/Equinox is too small... unless SAAB wants to compete with the X3. Instead, it's got an M-Class and Discovery competitor... which isn't bad at all. :) Saab doesn't need a truck. Then again, neither does Volvo and Porsche.
I suppose the 360 platform is decent enough... and the 9-7X seems to be adequately differentiated from Trailblazer, et al.

Lambda isn't out yet. Sigma is "Cadillac-only." Didn't leave Saab with much to work with.

Saab has had a HOT V8 in the works for quite a while. It was supposed to go into a 9-5 Aero and was rated at 300-315HP. I'll have to dig around for the article. Too bad.. the 9-5 Aero is still stuck at 250 (not that I'm complaining). It still gives teh 540/545i a run for its money. Then again, if you're fortunate enough to live in Europe, you can get teh Hirsch performance mods... and you can outrun the M5's.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Apr 6 2004, 04:12 PM
The 9-7x's interior is SAAB SPECIFIC PEOPLE!!! It has a slight "Hockey-Stick-Shape" to it that is a characteristic of most SAABs. There is a lot of wood, but it doesn't look cheap. Interior materials look good and I hear that (GET THIS) the ignition is on the console between the front seats, way to go SAAB!
Thank god, because if it was a regurgitation of any of the 360s interiors i would not be pleased. And my take is if they spent the millions of dollars it costs to do a full revamp on the 97's interior we would either expect new insides on the other 360s in the coming year, or the 97 will be around for a while.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This truck is nice! They did a very good job of distinguishing it from its 360 siblings, and it looks like a Saab. The interior is fairly nice too, but I hope they stick some aluminum instead of wood on the Aero. And at first glance, the rear-end looks like an MDX, especially with those taillights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Saab has become expert at creating really "nice" cars. They don't offend anymore, and they try to be slightly eccentric, but who is going to buy a Saab anymore? Especially this one. Key's in the console. BFD. Many a great Saab, a real Saab, had a more conventional ignition arrangement (all 96's, 95's, 97's, 93's, 92's and 9000's). While Saab built some of the most hard to live with cars in the past, you could put up with all that because they were remarkably ingenious, FUN, safe, efficient and whacky. Now? They are better than appliances, but it's been a while since a Saab turned me on. A 200 hp 2.3 litre 9000 in 1991 was a phenomenon. That car could eat virtually every German car alive, and keep even with most US muscle cars of its day. Now? A 210 hp Aero 9-3? A 250 hp Aero 9-5? Yaawwwnn....This 9-7X won't help. Handsome, yes. But what a bore! Where is the ingenuity? How about that 5cyl turbo GM motor? Why not the Saab turbo diesel V6? Why not some creative styling? And of course, with gas prices where they are going, this is another case of Saabs oh-so-brilliant timing.
Will someone please tell these guys that they are failing at the car business and should go back to the expensive toy business!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like the interior, and I was expecting to be disappointed with the rear, but I like it alot!

I dont think your general person on the street would recognize it as being based off the Envoy/Rainier/Trailblazer...

1 - 20 of 105 Posts