GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove the new Saab 9-3 convertable yesterday as well as the new 9-2 linear.

Results: Unimpressed on both accounts.

The 9-3 had a decent ride quality, but not what you are led to expect from Saab and I would have to say that you can easily get equal, if not better, quality from a less expensive car. Most noticeable to me was the severe turbo lag for acceleration and complete lack of power. Of course, I was somewhat comparing it to my '98 Buick Regal GS with a supercharged 3.8 that costs about 10 grande less. I do like the styling but I ask myself is styling alone enough for that much money? The fit and finish was outstanding. I thought the HVAC controls were too busy. However, the interior did feel comfortable (especially the seats). All-in-all, it was an okay car, but for me, it all comes down to "Is it worth the price?".

The 9-2: My test drive in it was much shorter. After having been so disappointed with the 9-3, I pretty much lost interest in the 9-2. I must say though that I'm impressed with the styling differentiation from the Subaru. It's quite attractive actually. Again, though, I felt it was underpowered, given though that I haven't driven many cars in its size class to compare with. But for the money they are asking, It is definitely underpowered. Maybe the ARC model with the turbo charger is better, but that's even more money. The interior is again very nice. The road feel was good too. I suppose it would make for a comfortable commute car, but how much can one spend for just a commute car. I definitely would not consider it for a primary vehicle.

For now, I'll just keep my Buick!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by monkeylizard@Jun 18 2004, 12:08 PM
The 9-3...

Most noticeable to me was the severe turbo lag for acceleration and complete lack of power.  Of course, I was somewhat comparing it to my '98 Buick Re

The 9-2...

Again, though, I felt it was underpowered, given though that I haven't driven many cars in its size class to compare with.  But for the money they are asking, It is definitely underpowered.
that's too bad. i've never driven either, but if nothing else i'd want a fast saab. sounds like you thought the handling was okay on both cars, and the style is there, but at saab prices you don't want hyundai performance. i hope you're just way too picky (and spoiled with your S/C 3.8!) and that everyone else who trys them likes them! :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
What do you consider powerful enough for the 9-2? It's already at 227. Also, the engine & ecu have been around for a while now (in the WRX). It's quite easy with a few quiet modifications these days to get a good deal more reliable HP out of the stout EJ20.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I own a 9-3 Sports Sedan and the turbo lag is minimal in contrast to the 9-2x Aero.
The engine in the 9-2x is typical ricer 4, u have to be in the gas and at higher RPMs all of the time to get anything out of it. No one builds a 4 with the low end power like GM. And the 2.0 Ecotec in my 9-3 is a gem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts