GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like a Subaru because you've seen the Subaru.

If this was an all original design, I think it would be very Saab like. There are enough styling cues present.
I like the front and rear treatments better on this than on the Subaru. The rally look (huge fog lights) isn't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
790 Posts
i like this more than the subaru. but at the same time i see a lot of subaru in it. does anyone know if they will be coming out with a non-wagon version of this?

and do you know when the STS will be shown?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
They could have jazzed up the rear a bit more cause tahts the only thing I see Subaru. The front end looks very nice and very saab like. And it doesnt have the boxer engine? I was under the impression that it shared the engine too?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It shares the Subaru's boxer horizontally opposed engines.

2.5l 165hp
and Turbo 2.5l 227hp

It does not get the STI engine.
Only a wagon style will be offered (unless of course it becomes a huge sales hit)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You posted an Ecotec engine photo there. The second photo.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am upset with this car and GM for allowing it!!...first off GM is on a roll with products right now and there future looks bright again, why?..and ask WHY? would they take a step back like this? I mean this is BADGE ENGINEERING at its best, the car screams Subaru from the profile and the back ( not to mention that interior..geeze) It really makes me kinda scared as to what the 9-7 suv is going to look like inside, I mean please, don't let it be that FISHER-PRICE nightmare of an interior from the Trailblazer... PLEASE!!! :zap:

( just a thought, but, maybe they should change the name to Sabb-aru )

·
Registered
316 Posts
sabb-aru...gee that's hilarious........................... :unsure:

rex is right...if we hadn't already seen the subaru it would be perfectly identifiable as a saab. i think it's a very nice looking car and i really wouldn't mind owning one. i feel saab is on the right track.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Yeah, but see, we HAVE seen the Subaru... we've seen the $17K Impreza wagon for a couple years now, and many of the car-folks that would look at Saabs will see the lineage quite clearly. No matter how you look at this car, the front fascia is the only fresh piece. Everything else is color.

This really reminds me of the Cadillac Cimarron debacle. It's big step back for GM, but a much bigger step back for Saab. It probably won't be too damaging if they are working on a genuine 9-2 for the next release. Let's hope. Our real measure of how much GM wants to massacre Saab will be revealed by the 9-7 SUV this spring. If they take the same approach, mildly rebadging a Trailblazer, then Saab is history.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think it will be a mistake.

I don't think enough Americans really know the Impreza all that well (especially those in the Southern states where 4wd isn't necessary).

Also, in general Saab and Subaru aren't sold in the same dealerships.
It's not like the Cimmaron situation, where Cavaliers were being sold in the same room as the Cimmaron. Also, the Cavalier was (pretty much) the cheapest Chevy at the time. Basing a Caddy off of it was a bad idea. The Subaru is not a cheap car. Although it's the least expensive Subaru, it's still significantly more than Civic, Corolla, the Koreans, etc...

For those that aren't aware of the 9-2x's lineage, it will make a nice addition the the very small Saab Line-up (essentially 2 cars for the longest time (9-3 and 9-5)).

And there's really nothing wrong with Impreza. So for those that do know it is Subaru based, they won't have much to complain about other than "It's not pure Saab, and where the ignition is located". It's not like Saab is rebadging the cheapest thing out there. They are giving an already recognized and well reviewed car a second chance by offering it in two markets.

The front end styling is reason enough for some people to be turned off of the Subaru, and go for the Saab.

I think this is a much smarter move than the 9-7. There are way too many trucks on that platform already.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jan 3 2004, 09:50 PM
I don't think enough Americans really know the Impreza all that well (especially those in the Southern states where 4wd isn't necessary).

Well, then these people probably are not at the heart of 9-2's target market, right? Seems to me the people who'd shop the merits of the 9-2, seeking an imported small wagon with AWD in the $20K range, would be the very people already acquainted with Subaru...or maybe I'm having a total brain fart here.

·
Registered
44,279 Posts
Originally posted by desmo9+Jan 3 2004, 05:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (desmo9 @ Jan 3 2004, 05:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rex Raider@Jan 3 2004, 09:50 PM

Well, then these people probably are not at the heart of 9-2's target market, right? Seems to me the people who'd shop the merits of the 9-2, seeking an imported small wagon with AWD in the $20K range, would be the very people already acquainted with Subaru...or maybe I'm having a total brain fart here. [/b][/quote]
I think Raider's point is that since the Subaru is butt-ugly, it has put off a lot of American's from purchasing the car -- even though it is a very solid performer.

The fact that the 9-2X is far more conservative and share the same mechanicals as the WRX will only add to draw to the 9-2X.

Same reason people bought the Rendezvous over teh Aztek. One was well done. Other was butt-ugly. :D

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
This car will sink or swim on it's price. If it is overpriced it's a submarine, if it's not, it will be a big hit, especially in the snow belt.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
This is more in line with the Escalade/Yukon Denali swap. (nothing more than a badge swap and a price increase). Look how successful that was.

This is actually a stop-gap quick scheme measure until they can brandish the dough (and time) and build a true saab 9-2x.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think GM chose the right car to re-badge, If there ever was one. GM has a lot on their plate right now, and even though they are rebadging a Subaru Impreza WRX was a good choice. It will draw those who aren't fond of Subaru's styling and the Saab loyalists, I just wish they had a sedan and an Areo version, à la STi (I believe Aero is Saab's Preformance line). That in my opinion would draw more enthusists into the Saab fold.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is no Sedan model (wagons only), but there are 2 models.

The 9-2x is powered by the 2.5 litre regular Impreza Engine. (165hp)
The 9-2x Aero has the WRX Turbo engine.

·
Registered
44,279 Posts
Originally posted by Canadian Camaro SS@Feb 12 2004, 07:54 PM
I think GM chose the right car to re-badge, If there ever was one. GM has a lot on their plate right now, and even though they are rebadging a Subaru Impreza WRX was a good choice. It will draw those who aren't fond of Subaru's styling and the Saab loyalists, I just wish they had a sedan and an Areo version, à la STi (I believe Aero is Saab's Preformance line). That in my opinion would draw more enthusists into the Saab fold.
:huh: Good rebadge job, huh?
I think the changes are sufficient enough to differentiate the 9-2X from the WRX. And that's "ok." The WRX is along the same lines as Saab's heritage of performance at an affordable price. Not saying that it's an entirely good idea, but Saab could have done worse.

9-2X is most likely a placeholder to get customers who want an affordable wagon in the door at Saab. With the Saab-Kappa in the works, I don't think this 9-2X will be around for very long anyways. Maybe 4-5 years or so.

9-2X Aero has Subaru's 227HP engine. Would be nice to have the STi's engine, but then that would seriously overpower the rest of the Saab line. My only real concern is that 9-3 needs more horsepower than 210. 9-3 Aero needs at least 230. 9-5 should be bumped to 270.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Post those two images together again.. the silver Impreza wagon and the 9-2.

Differentiated, huh? Saab's unique identity has been dwindled down to nothing but a fascia on this model. If this were the only example of such stupidity, and it were just a stop-gap until a more genuinely-skinned 9-2 appeared, I'd be more content with it. Unfortunately, though, seeing the current 9-2 makes me think about the upcoming 9-7 which will be an even greater sacrilege. In 2006, there will be as many rebadged models in the Saab lineup as originally-skinned models. Hell, rebadge the Grand Prix as the next 9-5 and finish the job. Let's give Saab a Chevy pickup, too. And heck, Escalade is hot, so let's offer one of those in the Saab lineup. Let's really milk this brand for all it's worth... who cares what we put the badge on, cuz it'll sell! Increase utilization of those U.S. plants, cuz we gotta keep those $27 and hour UAW people working!!!

I'm glad at least the magazines share my sentiments. This month's C&D dubs the 9-2 as an Impreza wagon with a $3500 premium on the sticker. And that's the real problem for the business case. Not gonna get that premium from a fascia and badge alone. They'll sell about 5000 of these things a year.

Volvo is going to chew Saab apart. And it didn't have to be that way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts