GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Nice!,but I was thinking more of an rebaged Aveo.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Great chop Rex! But I don't think many Saab-fans would be too happy with a rear wheel drive Saab. Maybe if it was only offered in AWD?

Nice wheels. B)

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My opinion on Saab:

They have 2 cars. They have had 2 cars for the longest time. Loyalty has it's place, but it is most probably due to lack of loyalty that Saab had to be bought by GM. There simply weren't enough "Loyal" buyers to have the company stand on its own.

People say the 9-2x and the upcoming 9-7 aren't true Saabs. Who cares? If it gets OTHER people into Saab dealerships, people that wouldn't normally consider Saab, then it's a good thing.

As far as ticking off the "loyal" Saab people by having something other than a 4-cylinder turbo or an ignition key between the seats, so be it. It's not like they can get their ignition placement where they want it, in a Lexus, BMW or anything else.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i agree rex, but i think it's important for saab to keep at least it's main two current models true to the saab traditions, that way the loyalists can still get what they want while saab can attract other buyers to their entire line-up with the other models. your concept looks nice too by the way, but i was thinking maybe a more advanced looking front end? something a little more future saab ish i guess? if that makes sense.

·
Registered
43,886 Posts
I don't see why other Saabs can't be more "saab-ified." I know the 9-2X is supposed to "fillin the gaps" so to speak. And the 9-7X has been platform switiching for the past 2 years or so.

But if in 3-5 years or so, Saab gets its feet on the ground and decides to redo the entire lineup to reflect "saabisms," i'm not going to stop 'em.

i still think the 9-7X should have been Sigma-based. I still think the SRX should have been an E-series, not S-series (ie - Baby Escalade). But what's done is done.
Lets hope for the best... and make sure the revised 9-5 doesn't end up looking like a Bonneville. <_<

·
Registered
685 Posts
I really like it but the front looks to "thick." Like it got punched in the jaw and it swelled up. It was probably a necessity to cover the Nomad lights, I guess, but it would look even better, IMO, if it were a little less pronounced or something. And prehaps just a little more "edgieness" or creases would help give it a little more Saab.

I think Kappa is going to be a real winner for GM. It seems to lend itself well to many designs, like this excellent example.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I am a Chevy Nomad freak. My wife saw the car on the net and liked it but she is into Saabs and always has been. I want that Nomad so bad I can't stand it. My Wife is a bonifide Saab nutcase. She was really into the 9-2 cause she likes Saab hatchbacks and the 9-3 does not offer one anymore, then she saw this. She went nuts. It's the same car as the Nomad but I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I suppose if it comes out as a Saab it will be a little more upscale but I guess cars are really about emotion after all. There may be two versions of the Kappa sitting in my driveway down the road. I think the Kappa platform is going to turn out to be a grand slam for GM.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
This is a real "saab story".

Far be it from me to nit pick anything creative, but I'll assume you're posting it in search of feedback. Well, conceptually this just ain't right. It's called a Nomad because the concept is based on the original Chevy Nomad concept from the 1950s. Why plaigarize an authentic design like this?...you might as well have grafted a Saab face onto a '63 Corvette or '70 Riviera....

I mean, it's bad enough to plaster a bunch of different brands' fascias on undistinguished stuff like the Impreza or Trailblazer. But certainly don' t do it on stuff that's historic. Not only is this offensive to Chevy, but it defaces Saab, too. I mean, is that all Saab is worth? ...just a face on someone else's body and interior? Cuz if that's all Saab is worth to people, just kill the brand now while it still has dignity.

I'll just assume this image is a joke, meant to nitpick GM's rebadging habits . Yes?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by desmo9@Jan 18 2004, 11:32 PM
I'll just assume this image is a joke, meant to nitpick GM's rebadging habits . Yes?
No, it's not a joke.

First of all, in this THREAD, Autoexpress tells us that the Nomad concept might go on sale as a Saab.

Secondly, the Nomad concept isn't all that different in look than the Saab 9X concept of a couple years ago.

The Cadillac Minivan is a joke. This isn't.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Thanks for posting the 9X again. It clearly has proportions similar to Nomad's, and would fit the Kappa architecture. If all we saw were this 9X, nobody would have mistaked it for a Nomad...the greenhouse and raked beltline makes the 9X altogether unique. So if Saab does do a 9X, let's hope it's more like the 9X concept, not the Nomad concept.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like this as a saab, but I would rather see it as a nomad. I mean chevy delaers need to quit complaing about new products, and be thankful they have them

·
Registered
43,886 Posts
Originally posted by desmo9@Jan 19 2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks for posting the 9X again. It clearly has proportions similar to Nomad's, and would fit the Kappa architecture. If all we saw were this 9X, nobody would have mistaked it for a Nomad...the greenhouse and raked beltline makes the 9X altogether unique. So if Saab does do a 9X, let's hope it's more like the 9X concept, not the Nomad concept.
:lol:
Absolutely!!! Let's hope the concept Saab engine that the 9X has goes into the production version. Wasn't it a 300HP HOT I4 engine?
Saab is already working on a Kappa too. So.... cross your fingers!! :bounce:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I've noticed, everyone on this site complains about GM badge-engineering too many of their cars. Yet, all of the photoshop concepts on this site are exactly that, rebadged GM products made to look like a car from another brand.

Why?

Cause we know Gm is going to continue its badge engineering anyway. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts