GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a kind of dumb question but it's been bugging me the past few days.

I have a 2003 S-10 with the 4.3 L V-6. The truck has 46,000 miles on it. I changed the serpentine belt for the first time on Sunday. I decided last year to start trying to tackle more basic maintenance on my truck instead of paying a mechanic.

I found it pretty difficult to reinstall the belt tensioner after I routed the new belt, but I was eventually able to muscle it all back together with only a moderate amount of cursing and only one skinned knuckle.

My question is: Is it possible to put the belt tensioner on too tight? I cranked it back down as tight as it would possibly go. I haven't had any problems with it, but i haven't driven the truck very much since I put it together.

The only other car I had ever changed a serpentine belt on prior to attempting this one was in a '69 Camaro with a 350 V-8 about a dozen years ago with my dad. On that engine, the tension was actually supplied and relieved by tightening or loosening the altenator and it could only go so far. I just want to make sure I don't break something by stepping outside my normal comfort zone which is basically changing the oil.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
This may be a kind of dumb question but it's been bugging me the past few days.

I have a 2003 S-10 with the 4.3 L V-6. The truck has 46,000 miles on it. I changed the serpentine belt for the first time on Sunday. I decided last year to start trying to tackle more basic maintenance on my truck instead of paying a mechanic.

I found it pretty difficult to reinstall the belt tensioner after I routed the new belt, but I was eventually able to muscle it all back together with only a moderate amount of cursing and only one skinned knuckle.

My question is: Is it possible to put the belt tensioner on too tight? I cranked it back down as tight as it would possibly go. I haven't had any problems with it, but i haven't driven the truck very much since I put it together.

The only other car I had ever changed a serpentine belt on prior to attempting this one was in a '69 Camaro with a 350 V-8 about a dozen years ago with my dad. On that engine, the tension was actually supplied and relieved by tightening or loosening the altenator and it could only go so far. I just want to make sure I don't break something by stepping outside my normal comfort zone which is basically changing the oil.
Well first off the '69 camaro has a V belt, not serpantine. As far as puting the tensiner too tight on yer '03, I dont see how you could do that. Doesent it tension itself?

You've got the right attitude though, tackling yer own ride.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I'll start by saying I work for the company that built that tensioner. You say you "re-installed" the tenstioner. The tensioner should not come off for a belt change. You put a wrench on the tensioner and push the tensioner away from the belt, and slip the belt off the pulley then slowly move the tensioner back to it's own rest position. You reverse those steps when you re-install the new belt. The tensioner cannot be too tight, it is impossible, if it is the same tensioner that was working all this time. The only way it could be too tight is if you removed it and smoehow found a way to re-install it incorrectly.

The first time I replaced a belt on a 4.3L, I thought the same thing though, it did seem really tight. There is an arrow on the arm of the tensioner and it should point to an area on the base. Those are belt wear indicators. As long as the arrow is between the two V-shaped goorves on the base, it should be fine. When the arrow gets to to the raised area of the base, the belt is quite worn. I just took a look at that tensioner in particular and unfortunately, it's one of our more confusing belt wear indicators. Some parts simply have 3 lines. The one line between the other two and it's good to go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I always use a Goodyear Gatorback belt.
Never a squeel.
Never a chirp.

On a couple of them that I put on, the belt tensioner pointer was about mid or just past mid point. Maybe a mouth later, the pointer was near the end of the safe zone.
Hummmmmm
Anyway, that pointer hasn't moved in over a year.
Anytime the hood is up I take a looksee at the tensioner.
Still good to go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll start by saying I work for the company that built that tensioner.. .
WOW
You are probably the 2nd person that has ever admitted to working on an actual GM part that I've found in various GM related forums.

The other guy was on the body assembly line of the Astro.

I'm on a lot of GM forums and you two guys are it, so far.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
WOW
You are probably the 2nd person that has ever admitted to working on an actual GM part that I've found in various GM related forums.

The other guy was on the body assembly line of the Astro.

I'm on a lot of GM forums and you two guys are it, so far.
I guess I should say used to work for the company that built that tensioner...got notice of termination Monday. My last day is tomorrow. :( Times are tough. Something like 15 ppl are rumored to be gone by week's end. So far 7 have been confrimed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts