GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think Chevy will do with the Impala? 1. Keep it FWD since it seems to be popular and about 40% us live where it snows. 2. Wait to see what happens with Chrysler's RWD experiment and then decide? 3. Keep the Impala FWD and come out with a larger RWD vecicle? 4. Come out with a RWD Impala that can go to AWD for people in the snow belt?

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Well, there will be a RWD Midside Sedan in Chevrolets future around '06-'07. Many are assuming that it will be named Impala. AWD is an interesting question, but I doubt it will be offered.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I just dont know what to think on one side you have Lutz aka RWD and on the other you have the bean counters / the public ineducation about dynamics and weight distrubution.Meny of them are convenced FWD is better for varius reasons includeing some within GM itself.Ive driven in snowey / icey Utah weather and I still byfar prefer RWD eny day.Just try to stop quickly on ice in a front weight biased FWD car.I think RWD aided by optional AWD would be ideal for the next Inpala.SIGMA MASS PLEASE!!!! :zap:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I think a large sedan like a crown vic/caprice like car with plenty of room in and out should be the next impalla. Look at the Statesman and Caprice from Holden. 2 very large sedans that would go great here in the US I think. Something that has luxry and comfort. Im sure that like the sigma's, you can adapt sigma mass/lite with AWD. IT would make a great option and Im sure we could get a car around 38k with awd and many other luxury things. It could be a great sedan for chevy. I also think that there should still be a midsized FWD sedan, and if GM could get AWD on the midsized cars, that would be another plus. The car could use a lot of GM parts too. I wana know if GM could adapt the GMT360 as a car? Didnt they do that with the Bel Air last year? Cheap chassis, good I-6 motor with plenty of room for a V8, 2 wheel bases and AWD. If they can get good comfort and good handling out of it, I think it would be a good cheap way to make a very nice luxury sedan.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well Ford is bringing out the 500 sedan which will have an AWD option, so I think it would make perfect sense to do the same with the Impala. Gotta keep the Ford vs Chevy tradition alive and well. Oh by the way speaking of the 500 where did the 6-speed auto come from? Chevy still has a 4-speed, NOT GOOD. Getting back on the subject, I think the next Impala should be RWD with an AWD option. Gotta beat that Passat looking 500.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Chevy needs to give us a mid-size rear-drive car.
I hate FWD cars with a passion. I hate the feeling.

I am not even asking for a small Mustang fighter.
Give me four doors, rear-drive and a healthy V6.
(I assume their I6 is too long for a mid-size car.)

Sounds like I need a rear-drive Impala. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not even that far, look at GM Middle East and there are all the RWD Chevy's you could ever want....even a Station Wagon. Its the only place where the word 'Lumina SS' isn't a bad joke or an insult.... :ph34r:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think they should keep the Impy FWD just like it is and make the next gen Monte Carlo RWD. I don't think the Impala would sell half of its current volume with RWD. There's just too much snow in North America, and i see TONS of Impala's everyday up here in Canada. Even if they do make the next Impala RWD, Chevy will still need a FWD mid-size car bigger than the Malibu. I just think that the Monte Carlo is more about sporty performance and the Impala is the family sedan.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Go to RWD but incorporate stability control. I've driven S-Types, MB C-class, BMWs, etc. with this technology and it is almost impossible to get the car going sideways in slippery weather.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by spdwayGm@Jan 20 2004, 12:55 AM
Not even that far, look at GM Middle East and there are all the RWD Chevy's you could ever want....even a Station Wagon. Its the only place where the word 'Lumina SS' isn't a bad joke or an insult.... :ph34r:
Those ARE from Australia.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
A good topic. We did quite well with the Roadmasters to traditional buyers. sold alot of them. 2002 I switched 2 customers 1 from a Roadmaster 1 from a Caprice, into a Lesabre. They both hate thier cars, and want to move to a Cadi, Grand Marquis. So I guess FWD's aren't always better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the FWD Impala, not as bad as people make it out to be. I went from driving a fairly powerful truck to the Impala and don't feel the FWD pull like my old Cavalier had.

My vote is go RWD or AWD. Why not throw in a V8 option just for kicks??

I have seen modded FWD Impalas make some impressive numbers. A little more help from the factory would be nice.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
If the impy or whatever RWD/AWD sedan doesnt come with a V8, Ill punch whoever is in charge square in the nugs and declare that I now run GM.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also agree they look great, sound great, and they drive great....
Ok like all gms the interior sucks...
Sorry for the outburst, not all gm interiors suck just a good amount of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts