GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are rumors of a RWD Impala/Monte/Chevelle down the road. There are rumors of a new RWD Camaro down the road. We see the new RWD Nomad concept. OK, realisticly, how mant RWD Chevy's do you think they will actually build in the future and what will they be? Take a guess anyone.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think there is room for:

Corvette - ultimate performance
Camaro/Chevelle?? - 2 door muscle/sport
Chevelle/Impala/Biscayne?? - 4 door sport sedan
Nomad - small "entry level" rwd

I would probably name the 2 door a Camaro (smaller and faster than a GTO) and call the 4 door a Chevelle (styled off of the SS concept) and then leave the high volume Impala as a front drive. I am not sure how much market there is for the Nomad, but everyone I have talked to loves it, so it is probably worth a shot, especially since other Kappas will be built anyway. It would be great to see a V6 (3.9??) available in something like a Nomad SS.

All of the others should be V8s. With displacement on demand, it should be doable from a CAFE standpoint and Chevrolet is a legend in having small block V8 performance.

The 4 basic cars could each have several variations.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by MarkSS@Jan 15 2004, 08:10 PM
I would probably name the 2 door a Camaro (smaller and faster than a GTO) and call the 4 door a Chevelle (styled off of the SS concept) and then leave the high volume Impala as a front drive.  I am not sure how much market there is for the Nomad, but everyone I have talked to loves it, so it is probably worth a shot, especially since other Kappas will be built anyway.  It would be great to see a V6 (3.9??) available in something like a Nomad SS. 
Yes the SS concept. What ever happened to the SS concept. I have not heard any news about it. Is there any plans on building anything that even remotely resembles it? It was one sweet concept. :mrt:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Large RWD and AWD Impalla.

The Vette

then a smaller 2dr RWD coupe Camaro or Chevelle...whatever the name it, let it have a fast model and let it be less then 30k.

then slide in a fwd 4dr sedan like a lumina or something.
Im not a big fan of the idea of bringing a small roadster type car to chevy.
Maybe RWD sedan based off the smaller 2dr camaro, but it has suicide doors like on the RX8. Call that a Chevelle? Same power as a camaro, just with 4 doors.
So you have
RWD Vette(ohv v8)
RWD/AWD 4dr impalla(v6, ohc v8, ohv v8)
RWD Camaro(v6, ohc v8, ohv v8)
RWD 4d Chevelle(v6, ohc v8, ohv v8)
FWD Lumina(2 v6s)
FWD Malibu sedan(2 v6's)
FWD Malibu Maxx(i think this would look good awd)(2 v6's)
FWD Cobalt sedan<-
FWD Cobalt coupe<- ecotec club.
FWD Aveo sedan<---
FWD Aveo hatch<----

sounds like a good line up. Then you have the Uplander and HHR and SSR. Toss them in there as you like.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by big swede@Jan 27 2004, 05:10 AM
A 4 door Chevelle? I hope you guys are young.
well, think about how many modern muscle cars there are out now, and tell me how many doors they have? CTSV, M5, E55, Audi RS6( I think?) are all 4 drs. Who says 4drs cant be fast or be muscle? I was talking about like a quad coupe anyway, Like rear suicide doors that open the other way, like the RX8? I think that would make a great car for a guy who still wants speed and performance, but needs 4drs for his kids and at an affordable price. I think one of the reasons people went otherwhere when they outgrew there Camaro's and Fbirds is because there were no larger sports coupes that they can "graduate" too like the Chevelle of old. If you wanted a larger 2dr muscle car to the Camaro, you had a Chevelle. I think thats a great idea personaly. It would hurt the die hards, but I think would make a great car, and how great would it be to have 5 people in your car, and click off 12-13sec times on the weekends?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
AVEO fwd I4 - COBALT fwd I4 - MALIBU fwd/awd I4+V6 - CHEVELLE cpe/sdn rwd/awd V6+V8 - IMPALA/CAPRICE rwd V6+V8 - VETTE rwd V8. :D :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
make em all RWD..mc, chevelle(coupe only, 4 drs would be foolish), camaro, impala(4door standard, SS coupe only),SSR, vette, malibu too... hell, bring back the nova while where'at it!! lets just have 1 big rwd orgy!!

leave fwd for only colbalt and aveo.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Dodge's concept Charger in 1999 came with 4 doors.
2 normal and 2 suicide. Although no one knows what
the real Charger is going to have when it is released.

2 doors are way too limiting. I think many of these
manufacturers are showing that you can have a four
door car and still have your performance. No prob.

I have no plans to ever own another 2 door vehicle.
(2 door SUVs? What were those people smoking?)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@Jan 27 2004, 04:25 PM

2 doors are way too limiting. I think many of these
manufacturers are showing that you can have a four
door car and still have your performance. No prob.

I have no plans to ever own another 2 door vehicle.
(2 door SUVs? What were those people smoking?)
come on now.. thats dodge, they'd slap a hemi sticker on a neon if they thought it would help sales. as for chevy, some cars should NEVER be 4 doors or even quad coupes or whatever the hell they are.. camaro, chevelle, monte carlo,vette..

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8+Jan 27 2004, 05:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PontiacJ8 @ Jan 27 2004, 05:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-big swede@Jan 27 2004, 12:10 AM
Do you see any major demand for 2-doors? [/b][/quote]
I'm quite sure if GM came up with a 2 door Chevelle they would be thrilled to equal the sales that the Mustang has. Since GM has more customers than Ford they have a potentially larger umtapped market than the Mustang . The F-body failed for reasons not related to 2 doors believe me I have had several. If ford can make a fun and very popular pony car in the $25,000 dollar range with a much more expensive drivetrain (ohc and 5 speed auto or manual) then GM should be embarrased that they can't meet or exceed the Mustang for the same money.

I would love to see a powerful RWD sedan, but to even mention the Chevelle name would be a travesty and only feed into the perception that GM has lost it's way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't know if I'm repeating anyone, but here's my view:

Corvette-RWD (Y-Body)
Camaro/Chevelle-RWD (Sigma-lite)
Impala-RWD (Sigma-lite)
Monte Carlo-RWD (Sigma-lite)
Malibu-FWD
Cobalt-FWD
Aveo-FWD

And of course in my dreams:

Caprice-RWD (Sigma-lite)

...hey, it's supposed to be adaptable, right?

:type:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by big swede+Jan 28 2004, 03:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (big swede @ Jan 28 2004, 03:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 05:28 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-big swede
@Jan 27 2004, 12:10 AM

Do you see any major demand for 2-doors?
I'm quite sure if GM came up with a 2 door Chevelle they would be thrilled to equal the sales that the Mustang has. Since GM has more customers than Ford they have a potentially larger umtapped market than the Mustang . The F-body failed for reasons not related to 2 doors believe me I have had several. If ford can make a fun and very popular pony car in the $25,000 dollar range with a much more expensive drivetrain (ohc and 5 speed auto or manual) then GM should be embarrased that they can't meet or exceed the Mustang for the same money.

I would love to see a powerful RWD sedan, but to even mention the Chevelle name would be a travesty and only feed into the perception that GM has lost it's way. [/b][/quote]
The Ford mustang of old cost was amazing since the chassis was 25 years old, horrible quality in and out. The Fbody had 2 cars on its chassis line. The fbody failed because it was too much of a sports car, and not enough daily driver type car, at least thats what people are telling me.
It doesnt matter what its called, the affordable 2dr sports coupe market is small, and right now the Mustang is king. I think a Chevelle could be a great step up in room, style, and luxury from the Camaro. The Camaro is for younger buyers, and after they get tired of there cars and start to settle down, its gunna come time to where they need a larger car. The large sports coupe market is great for 30-50 somethings that want more room then a Corvette, and want to move up from the Camaro. They have either an option for a 4dr Impalla or Caprice, or a Quad Coupe Chevelle. I know that if I get a car, id look at a sporty coupe like car with 4drs then a car like a Crown Vic/Caprice/Impalla, but not saying I wouldnt have both in my driveway.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@Jan 27 2004, 04:25 PM
The Charger concept in 1999 had four forward-hinged doors...not suicide doors. The next new Dodge sedan (it may or may not be called Charger) coming in about a year will have four full doors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts