Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reactions: SP1966 and cad1cts

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! a new Raptor already? GM STILL doesn't have a competitor for that! And people wonder why GM only has 2% more market share!
Let alone the Focus/Fiesta performance model competitors from Chevy.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
I wonder if the Ford GT will get a blown flat plane crank.
Seems counter intuitive to the spirit of the GT. Maybe electric hybrid?

edit:
The one thing that works against a Ford GT going into production this year is where are the Spy Shots? Ford is good, but they can only keep the car under wraps to a point before taking it on the road or track.

Maybe this will be a "concept"

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
The smartest move for GM now is to show 1.6t and 2.0t performance versions of the Sonic and Cruze at NAIAS. The Corvette, Camaro and SS will provide plenty of performance as well.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ford is shifting into a performance gear while GM offers some more 2.0 litre front wheel drive grocery getters. Shame about the government takeover is the loss of testosterone at the RenCen.
I think GM's lineup is still suffering from the bankruptcy forced development delays. Many products were cancelled/delayed back then to conserve cash.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
When the competition comes up with new items, seems people here tend to fall into 2 groups.

One is the "The competitions version is complete crap" brigade. Although this group has no idea what the competition's product is, or haven't even checked it out for themselves (or in most all instances, neither has any magazine or car website), yet they're convinced the thing is going nowhere. They have no actual reasoning or logic or even a thread of anything to support their claim. I suppose them just saying it makes it true....at least they think so.

Then there's the "Our company is total crap" brigade. This is the group where someone can start a rumor that another company is going to display a 1,000hp big block V8 car that has AWD, weighs just 3,000 pounds, gets 50mpg "if you drive it right", and is going to cost only $5,000, and this group instantly starts slamming their supposedly favorite company while instantly forgetting everything that said company has done right. This group has a chip on their shoulder against their company, yet are members and frequent posters to that company's fan site. These guys will take anything, no matter how ludicrous and use it as a narrative against their company. A couple gets drunk, has carnal knowledge in the back seat, the female gets pregnant, the couple breaks up, female becomes a single mom living with her parents and suddenly it becomes GM's fault and has something to do with the government bailing them out.

Me....I prefer to wait and see, give credit where it's due, and wait till someone screws up before I slam them for it.

It helps to have a memory that lasts longer than a week, and at least a passing knowledge as to how vehicles pass through the approval process and how long it takes to get them on the road.....and who did what first. ;)

Wow! a new Raptor already? GM STILL doesn't have a competitor for that! And people wonder why GM only has 2% more market share!
Ever hear of the Colorado ZR2?

I saw it a couple weeks ago, and know it's going into production.

I haven't even seen the new Raptor yet...... Have you?

Ford is shifting into a performance gear while GM offers some more 2.0 litre front wheel drive grocery getters. Shame about the government takeover is the loss of testosterone at the RenCen.
Put down the crack pipe, and get behind the wheel of a supercharged ZL1 Camaro, the Z/28 Camaro, the supercharged CTSv, that came in coupe, sedan, or wagon.....all of which came out after (and with money from) the government's so-called "takeover", and then tell me what testosterone RenCen has lost.....especially compared to whatever they made before the takeover that signified they had any testosterone at all before the takeover.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futu...nce-announcements-gt350r-raptor?src=soc_fcbks

1) GT350R

2) F150 Raptor

3) Ford GT

4) Ford Performance Sub-brand

5) Focus RS

6) Focus ST

7) Fiesta ST

Sounds like a pretty full plate.
Although a Ford GT would be developed within a very small (and leak proof) circle of people, and it was Mark Fields who chose to commit funds to the last GT over the Thunderbird (Forty Niner) I'm still not quite convinced of the GT's return yet.....Showing a Raptor concept makes sense. Especially after Chevy showed the ZR2 concept and seems hellbent on bringing it out......Ford already has a sub-brand. It's called SVT. I don't know why they'd reinvent the wheel.

On the flip side of all of this, Road and Track is usually pretty decent as far as rumor accuracy. So either Ford has heaps of surprises up their sleeve, or R&T's future vehicle writer is gonna end up with a black mark on his rep.

No Torino GT?
It'd be a cool idea, but you'll never see the name on a Ford car (or at least a car you'd expect) ever again......I would place odds on T-bird coming back though.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Although a Ford GT would be developed within a very small (and leak proof) circle of people, and it was Mark Fields who chose to commit funds to the last GT over the Thunderbird (Forty Niner) I'm still not quite convinced of the GT's return yet.....Showing a Raptor concept makes sense. Especially after Chevy showed the ZR2 concept and seems hellbent on bringing it out......Ford already has a sub-brand. It's called SVT. I don't know why they'd reinvent the wheel.
Ford has several sub brands, and I think that's the issue, US has SVT, Australia has FPV, Europe has Team RS, and in the past all have worked on their own vehicles, I think this will put them officially all under one label since most will be sold world wide now. I belive its already happened, just without a name change. I don't like SVT (and SVO's being used by Jaguar, so I can't see bringing that back), FPV seems unlikely with the Aus pull out, and I like the name Team RS, but as an American I associate RS with Chevy. That means I'd have to agree with a new name, not sure about 999, but I also don't know what would be better.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
In case you dont know. Grocery getters pay the bills and allow GM to make the Corvettes, the SS, the Camaro ZL1,Z28, ZR2,Ats V, Cts V. I do hope GM could come out with a Jeep Srt8 competitor and a Hummer type off road vehicle. GMC would be perfect for that.
Pay the bills? Sorry, but those mass market vehicles have very little profit (if any) built into them. It's actually contrary to your post. It's those performance variants that are the profit getters.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts