GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
My friend drives an 01 Ford Escape with ~100k miles on it. We were driving to Briarwood mall to get some Michigan Nike Hockey Jerseys and the whole time we were driving as our speed increased there was a rumbling noise coming from the 'front' area of the car ( I *think its from the engine bay) and it gets louder as we go faster and as you turn to the left. I wish I had a better way to describe it, can anyone help me figure out what it is?

Escape has gas, recent oil change, good engine temp., nothing wrong with tires, and no service engine light coming on at all.

What do you think?

CobaltSS

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
so what do you advise? Should I take to the corner fix-it shot? Ford dealership?

Is this going to be a problem and if so how bad and when?

CobaltSS

If it's making noise, then I'd assume there is a problem.:rolleyes:

No trusted repair shop that you take vehicles to in Ann Arbor? If not, then I'd suggest your Ford dealer...

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Maybe a wheel bearing is starting to launch?

That's my guess...
Based on this vague description, I would concur. Its usually a deep rumble.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sounds like a right front wheel bearing. That is if it does in fact get louder when turning left.

Easy diagnosis with a screw driver or stethoscope.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I meant GMC was is this going to be a problem long term? IE: is the car going to become not drivable and how soon do I need to 'fix' this?

Sounds like a right front wheel bearing. That is if it does in fact get louder when turning left.

Easy diagnosis with a screw driver or stethoscope.
can you elaborate how to diagnose (I have both tools:D) ...?:confused:

CObaltSS

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Raise the vehicle off the ground, preferably on a hoist. Run the vehicle up to 40mph or so, and listen to the wheel bearings. Try to get as close to the spinning axle as you can. One wheel bearing will make a whirring noise and the other will make a growling noise.

You can guess which one is bad from there.:)

The fact that it does it more while turning left indicates the right side is bad. That side is loaded more in that scenario.

The car will eventually become unsafe to drive. The hub assy will eventually become loose and could cause some, ahem, serious problems.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Raise the vehicle off the ground, preferably on a hoist. Run the vehicle up to 40mph or so, and listen to the wheel bearings. Try to get as close to the spinning axle as you can. One wheel bearing will make a whirring noise and the other will make a growling noise.

You can guess which one is bad from there.:)

The fact that it does it more while turning left indicates the right side is bad. That side is loaded more in that scenario.

The car will eventually become unsafe to drive. The hub assy will eventually become loose and could cause some, ahem, serious problems.
How do you fix/replace it? is it something my amateur skills can do or should I just take it to a dealership/shop? How much will this cost to fix if indeed this is the problem?

CObaltSS

Thank you for the information!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
How do you fix/replace it? is it something my amateur skills can do or should I just take it to a dealership/shop? How much will this cost to fix if indeed this is the problem?

CObaltSS

Thank you for the information!
Basically the hub will need removed and the bearing pressed apart and off. It's pretty simple, but if you don't have access to a press it'll be tough.

You could remove the hub assy and then take the hub and new bearing to a machine shop like Napa to have them do it for you.

I'd guess the bearing is between $100-200 and labor would be at least that much to have the dealer do it. Try to get the bearing at Napa too, it'll be cheaper than the dealer and you never know maybe they'll press it for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.