GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The list of automakers that would never, ever make an SUV has shrunk even further.

Rolls-Royce, the pinnacle of British luxury motoring, announced on Tuesday that it, too, would add an SUV to its line-up.

The automaker hand-delivered a statement to CNNMoney on embossed Rolls-Royce letterhead. It says it will build "A car that offers the luxury of a Rolls-Royce in a vehicle that can cross any terrain."

It will be a "A high-bodied car with an all-new aluminum architecture."
Full article: http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/17/autos/rolls-royce-suv/index.html?sr=fbmoney021715rollsroyce0730story

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Lambo will make an SUV soon, that leaves Ferrari as the only one that doesn't want to jump in the SUV band wagon. Now with the whole Ferrari going independent, they will make one as well. They need to keep the shareholders happy and a Ferrari SUV will sell like mad.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
I'm not opposed to a Bentley or Rolls SUV so long as it's done properly. The Rolls needs to be as huge and imposing as the Phantom is among sedans. But I hope they just go with, at least, some terrain dial and so forth. No need to make it an off-road Rolls because that (versatility) is not the point of a Rolls.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Related:

BMW builds X7.

Lambo will make an SUV soon, that leaves Ferrari as the only one that doesn't want to jump in the SUV band wagon. Now with the whole Ferrari going independent, they will make one as well. They need to keep the shareholders happy and a Ferrari SUV will sell like mad.
Ferrari isn't going to be independent, they're only selling 10% of their stock. FCA will own 80%, Ferrari family 10%.

·
Registered
44,432 Posts

·
Registered
44,432 Posts
This should be quite interesting.
It'll most likely be based on the coming X7.

It looks like Range Rover's move upward was quite prescient. Now that Range Rover operates in the $200,000 price class, I think they need to move up to the $250,000 price class and truly upgrade their offerings. There's still time before the Bentayga and the Rolls SUV comes on scene.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
It won't matter what it looks like or costs. They will have a waiting list and sell every one they can build.

THAT, kids is the power of BRAND.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts

It looks like Range Rover's move upward was quite prescient. Now that Range Rover operates in the $200,000 price class, I think they need to move up to the $250,000 price class and truly upgrade their offerings. There's still time before the Bentayga and the Rolls SUV comes on scene.
LR were aware of these ideas at Bentley and Rolls-Royce before they started courting publicity - it wasn't particularly a secret.

And yes, Range Rover have had plenty of time, including developing an all-new platform.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts

C&D is reporting that Rolls is claiming it'll be on a new aluminum platform unique to Rolls.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/rolls-...-everywhere-vehicle-will-get-unique-platform/

But who knows.

·
Registered
44,432 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts