GM Inside News Forum banner

Rocket-powered 'flying' Tesla Roadster too quick for your health?

4K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  1958carnut 
#1 ·
Rocket-powered 'flying' Tesla Roadster too quick for your health?
May 21, 2021
Gary Gastelu

The Tesla Roadster may be the first car that requires a health screening before you drive it.

Elon Musk has reconfirmed on Twitter his claim that the two-door sports car will be capable of accelerating to 60 mph in 1.1 seconds, which is less than half the time it takes the world's quickest production cars to reach that speed today and would make it nearly as quick as a Top Fuel dragster.

It won't be able to do it with just its three electric motors, however, but will also be equipped with an optional SpaceX rocket pack. Not one that burns fuel and spits fire, but a cold gas thruster, which uses pressurized gas and is typically employed as a maneuvering system on spacecraft.

Continues at link

See less See more
#2 ·
Stuff like this is why Tesla is making significant inroads against entrenched luxury makes. People can complain they don't like Elon or the company, but this is FREAKING awesome. He breaks the mold, pushed boundaries and gives us something no one else has. This is American design and manufacturing at its finest.**

** of course, assuming it gets produced, but, based on Elon's track record, I have no doubt it will come to fruition.

#21 ·
Stuff like this is why Tesla is making significant inroads against entrenched luxury makes. People can complain they don't like Elon or the company, but this is FREAKING awesome. He breaks the mold, pushed boundaries and gives us something no one else has. This is American design and manufacturing at its finest.**

** of course, assuming it gets produced, but, based on Elon's track record, I have no doubt it will come to fruition.
"Track Record"?

Crazy-talk...........

"Its going to be so fast that it'll actually lose contact with the road"!?!?!?!?! WTF, that isn't even remotely safe, yeah I want to lose contact with the road while driving fast, said no one ever!
"Stopping or turning are for losers"..................

Marketing to get people talking about it. No way it will be available for production.
Sounds familiar...............

He's running out of things to pump the stonk up.

#17 ·
Rilly, WTF is the point? Who in their right mind is going to be impressed by a one second zip to sixty time? I think a lot of the guys in my 10th grade shop class, maybe.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons
#24 ·
I understand people will always want to push the envelope, and there will be customers who buy for nothing more than 'bragging rights', but I agree with many on here that I am not impressed by this myself.
You get to a point in a production car made for the street (with tires that are safe/legal on the street, the added weight of safety equipment...the LACK of race track ready safety equipment) where the car becomes unsafe to drive for a large portion of potential buyers AND for other people on the road and pedestrians.
As a young teenager growing up, I wanted the fastest car. I was hooked on MotorTrend and Road and track to check out the latest 0-60 times and quarter mile times. Then in the early 2000's I got my first 'fast' car (actually 2, a 1999 Trans Am and a 2002 Z28). The Z28 I had some mods on (exhaust, torque converter, super sticky tires) and even back then I found out the car was 'too fast' By that I mean too fast to use that power as an everyday driver on most roads. Hit the gas and the front end torqued up on you and steering wasn't really possible. Even on a dry I-95 near Daytona Beach, hitting the gas at 55 caused the back end to lose traction and the car to fish-tale. A couple years ago I drove a Tesla S and it was even worse. Impressive the first time you hit the accelerator? Sure, but after doing it once and feeling a lack of control, it was enough for me.

I guess this might be fun for people who take the car to the track, but other than that..it seems like nothing more than 'bragging rights' for any 'normal' consumer who would buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.