GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocket-powered 'flying' Tesla Roadster too quick for your health?
May 21, 2021
Gary Gastelu

The Tesla Roadster may be the first car that requires a health screening before you drive it.

Elon Musk has reconfirmed on Twitter his claim that the two-door sports car will be capable of accelerating to 60 mph in 1.1 seconds, which is less than half the time it takes the world's quickest production cars to reach that speed today and would make it nearly as quick as a Top Fuel dragster.

It won't be able to do it with just its three electric motors, however, but will also be equipped with an optional SpaceX rocket pack. Not one that burns fuel and spits fire, but a cold gas thruster, which uses pressurized gas and is typically employed as a maneuvering system on spacecraft.

Continues at link

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stuff like this is why Tesla is making significant inroads against entrenched luxury makes. People can complain they don't like Elon or the company, but this is FREAKING awesome. He breaks the mold, pushed boundaries and gives us something no one else has. This is American design and manufacturing at its finest.**

** of course, assuming it gets produced, but, based on Elon's track record, I have no doubt it will come to fruition.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,625 Posts
Here's an excellent video from Engineering Explained that addresses the question "What Is The Fastest 0-60 Time Possible?"

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
"Its going to be so fast that it'll actually lose contact with the road"!?!?!?!?! WTF, that isn't even remotely safe, yeah I want to lose contact with the road while driving fast, said no one ever!

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
"Its going to be so fast that it'll actually lose contact with the road"!?!?!?!?! WTF, that isn't even remotely safe, yeah I want to lose contact with the road while driving fast, said no one ever!
Where's that quote from? Yeah, that doesn't sound like something I'd want to be anywhere near.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Where's that quote from? Yeah, that doesn't sound like something I'd want to be anywhere near.

I paraphrased a bit, but yeah he said it...I think he's just saying **** to generate buzz and stay in the headlines...I fully don't expect this thing to have rocket assist, where do you even get fuel for that? Nor do I expect it to "airplane"

Reactions: emh

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
View attachment 63706

I paraphrased a bit, but yeah he said it...I think he's just saying **** to generate buzz and stay in the headlines...I fully don't expect this thing to have rocket assist, where do you even get fuel for that? Nor do I expect it to "airplane"
I can envision using cold thrusters but if they actually do that, I suspect they would also need to generate some downward thrust to make sure the car maintains road contact.

Reactions: TruckMan

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I can envision using cold thrusters but if they actually do that, I suspect they would also need to generate some downward thrust to make sure the car maintains road contact.
Yeah, so me being me...I dug into this a little more, apparently this has been something they've talked about for about a year, I even watched some youtube video abt cold thrusters and how they can pull in air and separate out the nitrogen...sounds hella expensive, and IMO not feasible...but good luck either way, and for God's sake, keep the damn thing on the road.

Even found this CGI animation of how a launch could look w/ Rocket assist:

·
Registered
235 Posts
.sounds hella expensive, and IMO not feasible...but good luck either way, and for God's sake, keep the damn thing on the road.
Base Tesla Roadster is $200k and is a four seater.

Fully loaded Roadster with SpaceX package is $250k and a two seater.

Totally doable for Musk Industries.

Way cheaper than hypercars and most supercars.

·
Premium Member
35,772 Posts
Rilly, WTF is the point? Who in their right mind is going to be impressed by a one second zip to sixty time? I think a lot of the guys in my 10th grade shop class, maybe.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Rilly, WTF is the point? Who in their right mind is going to be impressed by a one second zip to sixty time? I think a lot of the guys in my 10th grade shop class, maybe.
Marketing to get people talking about it. No way it will be available for production.

·
Premium Member
35,772 Posts
Marketing to get people talking about it. No way it will be available for production.
I get your point, but in my mind that's just a foolish waste of money. I know all these trillionaires have egos 💫 as big as the Milky Way. Look at me, I built a Back To The Future Car!

But, how about fix their idiotic "self-driving/self-destruction/fool's errand" AUTOCRASH system rather than waste what must have taken more $$$$ than most of us mere mortals make in five lifetimes to develop a stunt car that would get 999 out of 1000 drivers killed quicker than they can 💩 their draws?

·
Premium Member
34,057 Posts
I get your point, but in my mind that's just a foolish waste of money. I know all these trillionaires have egos 💫 as big as the Milky Way. Look at me, I built a Back To The Future Car!

But, how about fix their idiotic "self-driving/self-destruction/fool's errand" AUTOCRASH system rather than waste what must have taken more $$$$ than most of us mere mortals make in five lifetimes to develop a stunt car that would get 999 out of 1000 drivers killed quicker than they can 💩 their draws?
Perhaps Tethla is in the buthiness of killing iths custhomers.. (Just read that like Daffy Dumas Horacio Tiberius Armando Sheldon Duck ) and it will make senth...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts