Registered
11,215 Posts
Re: 1991 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA

One of my all-time faves, I still want one of those cars. :yup:

·
Registered
7,172 Posts

I actually bought a '90 Formula in February of 1990. It was a short model year so that they could bring out the freshened '91 model with the new nose in spring of '90. I ran out to get the '90 model while I still could. I had originally planned on waiting until fall, but I didn't like the '91 freshening.

Love the car mostly, and the '92 convertible was an absolute beauty. But those big ugly nostrils kind of ruined the front end.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts

I thought so too, at first, but they really grow on you. I'd still prefer a good '89 GTA though. Firebird>Camaro for the record.

I think only in comparison to the '82-'90 cars did the nostils ruin the front end. Still overall a great-looking car. I just thought that '91 nose looked tacked-on.

I rented a '92 convertible when I was in San Diego for a week. So nice. It just had great lines for a convertible. Nice design too and ran okay with the 3.1 V-6 and an automatic.

No power top, but the manual top was easy to use, and it stowed completely under an attached tonneau cover. You couldn't see any bit of the top when it was down.

They never brought out 3rd gen Firebird convertibles until the very end, but when they did they took a lot of care to keep them quiet and rattle free. They succeeded.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I thought so too, at first, but they really grow on you. I'd still prefer a good '89 GTA though. Firebird>Camaro for the record.
I want a turbo 3.8 bird!!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Im glad GM just killed the Firebird rather than coming out with a "front drive replacement."

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
0-60 in 6.9 and 1/4 mile in 14.9?!?

It's so strange to me that my puny 2.0 Liter LSJ could outrun a car that was probably at least in the list of GM's top 3 performance cars of that year. My how far we've come in 15 years. And the +25 MPG city isn't too shabby either.:yup: Although to be fair, the 3.8 TC engine in the same car would handily outrun mine.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts

It's so strange to me that my puny 2.0 Liter LSJ could outrun a car that was probably at least in the list of GM's top 3 performance cars of that year. My how far we've come in 15 years. And the +25 MPG city isn't too shabby either.:yup: Although to be fair, the 3.8 TC engine in the same car would handily outrun mine.

Back then, anthing below 7.5 seconds to 60mph was pretty quick.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
well, I'm glad I'm a newer driver/buyer now and not then.

So much faster, more advanced, more reliable/quality stuff out today:D

CobaltSS

Amazing how much more powerful and efficient cars have become since then.

My '90 Firebird felt fast when I purchased it in 1990. But then, it replaced a Cavalier that had 90HP and probably took 11 or 12 seconds to crawl to 60 mph. It was an adventure merging on to the DC beltway back then, but the other compact cars weren't any better.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Amazing how much more powerful and efficient cars have become since then.

My '90 Firebird felt fast when I purchased it in 1990. But then, it replaced a Cavalier that had 90HP and probably took 11 or 12 seconds to crawl to 60 mph. It was an adventure merging on to the DC beltway back then, but the other compact cars weren't any better.
Economy cars got better gas mileage back then too though (or not any worse than what they get now)...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

tiny correction, i believe it was 6.3 0-60. anyway, they were very sick cars for their time.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
They don't make them like the used to. The Trans Am is, and always will be, a symbol of American badass muscle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts