GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get my older 4 Monte Carlos out for "exercise" over the weekends, most of the time I drive one way or the other on the same "old" roads. Some might see that as boring ... even I do at times. So, I'll find a new "route" or a variation of one I've taken before...and discover something else about this area that I didn't know or hadn't seen previously.

Still ... one of the things I've noticed is that the more I drive on the same road over and over...the more I actually NOTICE about that road. Many times, I see something different than I've seen before...even though it has been there the whole time. Similarly, I'll notice vastly different things when I'm traveling one direction on a road vs. the other direction on the same road. The crest of a hill in one direction might reveal a spectacular site (especially at sunset or sunrise), while the crest of that same hill going the other direction may only reveal a dilapidated old barn hidden among a grove of trees.

And...it doesn't have to be a road that I travel every day. In fact, during the route I took back'n'forth to the MC Nats in PA (IL RT 47 to SR 24 to I-65 to I-70 to SR 119 ... and back) I noticed different things traveling in either direction....

Anyone else observe something similar?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"The more things change the more they stay the same" ... Kenny Chesney ... 'Summertime'

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
If I don't really have a time when I need to be home, I like to cut through and see which roads can go where. Especially in Cape Coral:

http://dbministries.com/calendar/2008/images/capecoral_FL_lg_area_map.jpg

Lots of different routes to take through neighborhoods there and trying to avoid the canals is always fun. I've found a couple of good roads to take pictures of the cars on this way too, it's always a good time killer. Of course, if I paid for gas myself I probably wouldn't be doing this. Haha, $10 for like 40 minutes of entertainment is a pretty good price to me though..

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I noticed the same thing.......right after I bought my Mark, I did a few jaunts between Lincoln-Omaha before I moved back from school.....

Instead of hopping on the Indy Speedway......er...Interstate 80.....I took Highway 6, this little two lane road that roughly parallels the interstate. It meanders through these three quaint little towns. (Greenwood's got this wonderful lil restaurant....the name escapes me though!) After passing through the last one and crossing the Platte River, the landscape changes to something out of a Norman Rockwell/Grant Wood type painting.....the Highway gets nice and curvy, the hills grow more pronounced and together w/the trees, I found there were some wonderful photo opps.

Didn't have a camera with me, but I plan on taking one when I start commuting again in the fall.....;) :drive:

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
I notice the pot holes and newly form cracks in the roadbed. [sigh]

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
^
That's Michigan roads for 'ya!:D

Even if Ohio roads are in perpetual construction, at least that means we work on them.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
I often notice "new" houses that are clearly 40+ years old, even locally. As for driving the same stretch of road, it doesn't take much prompting for me to go exploring and I have a pretty ordinary sense of direction. Luckily for me, the Vectra is pretty light on fuel so an extra hour on the road (at medium ferocity) will only cost me around 8 dollars. I've found some pretty good views on my little jaunts. Hopefully on my way home from a meeting tomorrow, I can catch the sunset behind Mt. Tibrogargan. It looks even better during pineapple season.:D

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I often notice "new" houses that are clearly 40+ years old, even locally. As for driving the same stretch of road, it doesn't take much prompting for me to go exploring and I have a pretty ordinary sense of direction. Luckily for me, the Vectra is pretty light on fuel so an extra hour on the road (at medium ferocity) will only cost me around 8 dollars. I've found some pretty good views on my little jaunts. Hopefully on my way home from a meeting tomorrow, I can catch the sunset behind Mt. Tibrogargan. It looks even better during pineapple season.:D
PICS!! :D

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Instead of hopping on the Indy Speedway......er...Interstate 80.....I took Highway 6, this little two lane road that roughly parallels the interstate. It meanders through these three quaint little towns. (Greenwood's got this wonderful lil restaurant....the name escapes me though!) After passing through the last one and crossing the Platte River, the landscape changes to something out of a Norman Rockwell/Grant Wood type painting.....the Highway gets nice and curvy, the hills grow more pronounced and together w/the trees, I found there were some wonderful photo opps.
Indeed.

As boring as it may sound, I much prefer taking RT 30 across Indiana and Ohio...instead of I-70 or the tollway/turnpike. So much more to see ... and experience along the way.....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I close my eyes & dream away" ... Roxette ... 'It Must've Been Love'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts