GM Inside News Forum banner

How Bad Is Road Construction In Your Area?

• Minor--Hardly Notice It At All

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • A Headache--Definitely Affects Driving Habits/Commute Times

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Intolerable--There's always some *&^%[email protected] stretch tore up

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Everything's Just Peachy ;P

Votes: 5 13.9%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a commuter student, I've slowly become familiar with the stretch of interstate (I-80) that I drive between home & school twice a week (for a grand total of 200mi/wk). Any driver would tell you that with the construction we have, it's not exactly a smooth drive, with lane restrictions, speed changes and other assorted headaches a plenty......(from what I can tell, they're working on widening it to 3 lanes both east/westbound between Omaha & Lincoln)

Even around town I've changed the route I take to get to work @ night just to avoid the traffic headaches & extra lights due to construction.....the stuff we got going on is definitely not 'Big Dig' scale....but still a PITA.

So I thought I'd throw up a poll and invite anyone to share their experiences w/construction where they live.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
now that i work for the DOT, i have a different perspective on it. huge steps are made to have the least amount of affect on traffic as possible- but sometimes theres just nothing that can be done. and most people dont seem to understand that, all they say is screw the DOT and construction- and thats really annoying.

the number one thing people say is to have them work at night, and that boggles my mind as well.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
It makes driving more interesting. I'll get bored driving the same stretch every day, I'd like some road construction every now and then, adds randomness to my daily commute.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Friggin' sucks here. I-75 is under construction from here to Middletown. I've almost wrecked a few times since the offramp leads right into the right lane instead of the shoulder. ***holes won't let me onto the highway.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Friggin' sucks here. I-75 is under construction from here to Middletown. I've almost wrecked a few times since the offramp leads right into the right lane instead of the shoulder. ***holes won't let me onto the highway.
there should be a yield sign for ramp traffic when you enter the highway if your being put right into a lane and if not you should make a call. like chakis24, I also work for my state's DOT.

(not in respone to FH65 but another rant)
trust me when your driving 80 in a construction area, I DO NOT WANT MY GUYS OUT ON THE ROAD. slow down. they have already killed someone this year and she was apart of a program that helped at risk kids get jobs.. JUST SLOW DOWN.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I live along a stretch of I15 thats been getting new express lanes in the middle. The lanes shifting every week was kind of annoying, but now that its almost done, it's not so bad, and will be a welcome relief when it finally opens. There will be an express bus that will go down the lanes that will come in handy.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
The only stretch I know of around here is I41 through Fond Du Lac and North a few miles. That might be complete though, I haven't been up that way in a while.

(edit: it's not)

The Marquette interchange in Milwaukee is complete and open already, ahead of time and underbudget. It was scheduled to open in November.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This summer here in Nashville, road construction has been exceedingly light compared to the last few years. There are several moderately-sized re-paving projects around the city, but they don't seem to be causing much of a delay. When I-65, I-40, Briley Parkway and other major thoroughfares were under heavy widening/construction a few years ago, the resulting traffic was a nightmare. I'll gladly take this over major road work.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
If people would learn to merge, it would not be such a bid headache. Sure, there would be delays, but not the pulling-your-hair-out situations that arise because traffic comes to stop and then inches along for miles.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
If people would learn to merge, it would not be such a bid headache. Sure, there would be delays, but not the pulling-your-hair-out situations that arise because traffic comes to stop and then inches along for miles.
I find the people who go at the last second, or don't go at the last second, or my pet peeve the ones that go well well well beyond the last second, over the chevrons and nearly hit the "^" sign...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

5,934 Posts
It's necessary. Although it is frustrating when traveling, and you are trying to make time, and see those "Construction 3 miles Ahead" signs. But it's necessary. You can't do anything about it, so just relax in your seat and get through it. They do their best to only block off 3-5 miles at a time. But I know the feeling of craning your neck to find the end of the orange cones.

The key though is to obey those speedlimits through those zones, and pay attention so those guys stay safe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been dealing with a bridge widening for the last year on RT 1 going into NJ. Right now they have the north lanes split. Always jammed when I need to get to work and it seems the time of day doesn't matter.

Mike

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I don't know where to begin.

Any money spent anywhere widening freeways or building new freeways is money thrown down the drain. You can NOT pave your way out of congestion, unless you're prepared to spend tens of BILLIONS of dollars building 20- and 30-lane-wide freeways, which isn't feasible by the remotest stretch.

The ONLY way to reduce congestion is to reduce the number of cars. There is NO other viable option, no matter what your local council, what your governor, or what any self-proclaimed expert with no background in transportation, tells you.

And this ain't opinion... I did this for a living.

No money should be spent on roads except for improving pavement surface or other safety-related issues.

The more roads you build, the more lanes you add, the more congestion you're adding. Again, it is IMPOSSIBLE to pave your way out of traffic congestion.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
there should be a yield sign for ramp traffic when you enter the highway if your being put right into a lane and if not you should make a call. like chakis24, I also work for my state's DOT.
There isn't. In fact, there's maybe 6 or 7 exits along that stretch of construction, and there isn't a single yield sign. I've almost been run off the road more times than I can count.
What's more, there are signs that say "Trucks use left two lanes." Why the hell are all the damned trucks still in the right lane? It's hard enough getting onto the highway, I don't need a friggin' massive semi cutting me off.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Gotta love PennDOT. They used superpave on I79 it was supposed to last 20 years. Well here we are after two years of construction to to both sides they are back on the southbound side putting new superpave in because the old stuff only lasted 2 years 1/10 of what it was supposed to last. They also have the exit to the airport closed so that area is congested too. Oh and the part of I79 south of I70 keeps being torn up because mines below it are collapsing.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I don't know where to begin.

Any money spent anywhere widening freeways or building new freeways is money thrown down the drain. You can NOT pave your way out of congestion, unless you're prepared to spend tens of BILLIONS of dollars building 20- and 30-lane-wide freeways, which isn't feasible by the remotest stretch.

The ONLY way to reduce congestion is to reduce the number of cars. There is NO other viable option, no matter what your local council, what your governor, or what any self-proclaimed expert with no background in transportation, tells you.

And this ain't opinion... I did this for a living.

No money should be spent on roads except for improving pavement surface or other safety-related issues.

The more roads you build, the more lanes you add, the more congestion you're adding. Again, it is IMPOSSIBLE to pave your way out of traffic congestion.
I don't want to say anything bad but...

widening lanes sounds like a safety improvement, and basically 100 % of all construction I've seen is to improve pavement surface or to fix a overpass or bridge that is otherwise going to collapse...

I've known many highways that have had major issues that are solved by adding lanes, usually these are in interchanges where you have two lanes going to one, creates madness...

Another example is here in Montreal, there is a section on the eastern end of the island where the Autoroute 40 (3-lane) goes to two lanes, congestion like crazy, then has a concurrency with the Autoroute 15 which is also heavily travelled. This goes on for a long way... that area is always congested as hell, if it had double the lanes I don't see why the traffic would be anything but much improved and similar to the "other sides".

Yes I know the "tradgedy of the commons" stuff, but a lot of times there are poor engineering decisions made at the beginning to save money, space, etc and it causes bottlenecks

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I don't want to say anything bad but...

widening lanes sounds like a safety improvement, and basically 100 % of all construction I've seen is to improve pavement surface or to fix a overpass or bridge that is otherwise going to collapse...

I've known many highways that have had major issues that are solved by adding lanes, usually these are in interchanges where you have two lanes going to one, creates madness...

Another example is here in Montreal, there is a section on the eastern end of the island where the Autoroute 40 (3-lane) goes to two lanes, congestion like crazy, then has a concurrency with the Autoroute 15 which is also heavily travelled. This goes on for a long way... that area is always congested as hell, if it had double the lanes I don't see why the traffic would be anything but much improved and similar to the "other sides".

Yes I know the "tradgedy of the commons" stuff, but a lot of times there are poor engineering decisions made at the beginning to save money, space, etc and it causes bottlenecks
No, widening lanes is a good idea, adding lanes is a waste of money.

And of course fixing engineering mistakes make sense. Often times roadways were compromised because of the petty bickering and influence from various special-interest groups, resulting in a roadway that wasn't designed properly (ask member12 about Baton Rouge's I-10/110 interchange). Those areas are where tax dollars should be spent.

I'm speaking of spending billions nationally to add additional traffic lanes, or build new bespoke freeways. They relieve congestion for a few months at best, and invite additional traffic, and within a year the road is as clogged as before... plus the taxpayers are out of billions...

On surface streets, widening a thoroughfare often prompts local authorities, typically at the behest of local developers and real estate agents, to rezone them commercial, and if they're already zoned commercial, attract new business activity, which of course brings massive traffic. Typically within two years, the congestion is actually worse than it was as a two-lane.

Transportation Planners strongly advocate lane-widening or anything that improves road safety, streamlining lanes and such. But I've studied enough material on the subject, enough to bore most of you to your graves, in addition to working on transportation projects, to know the big picture.

So if you live somewhere where these projects are up to voter discretion, I urge you study up a little on the subject before hitting the polls. Most taxpayers would drop dead of shock to learn they voted to approve spending $168 million in tax dollars on a project that will speed traffic up a whopping 4mph — for about a year. The politicians will tell you one thing; the Transportation Planners will tell you the truth.

Now many of the concepts I mentioned of course aren't blanket rules, and there are many exceptions in nearly any city, to be made, and must be taken on a case-by-case basis. But one thing that's been absolutely proven time and time again, for decades on end, is that roadbuilding doesn't ease traffic, it increases it.

Also, Saabr, you're lucky enough to live in the one nation that's quickly becoming the world's best-case example of how to properly develop national and local transportation plans. Canada is now a major world leader in many areas of Urban and area Planning, and within 20 years will likely be on par with European countries and Wealthy Asian Cities in developing effective mass transit schemes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts