GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the first test of a U.S. spec GT-R by Road and Track.

GT-R v. Z06 v. 911 Trubo

Online article:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6594

Data panel:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0508_ct_GTRZ06911_chart.pdf

Tech details:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0508_ct_TechDetails.pdf

On track details with Steve Millen
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0508_ct_OnTrack.pdf

Styling analysis:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0508_ct_stylingAnalysis.pdf

Cliff Notes:
1st place: GT-R
2nd place: Z06
3rd place: 911 Turbo

The Z06 is the best looking, most power; "neck snapping power"
The 911 Turbo is a 911 Turbo. That should speak for itself.
The GT-R was fastest at the track by over 5 seconds, quickest through the slalom, posted best numbers on the skidpad and stopped the shortest from 60mph.

All cars are seriously quick with the Z06 being seriously quick and quicker than both the GT-R and 911 Turbo in the top end.

GT-R and Z06 were only separated by 2 points.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Wow. The Z06 trapped over 7mph faster and was 2 seconds faster to 120mph!

Considering it pretty much matched the GTRs braking distance 60-0 and 80-0, it must have had some very serious traction problems around the track.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Considering it pretty much matched the GTRs braking distance 60-0 and 80-0, it must have had some very serious traction problems around the track.
Yes the Z06 is seriously quick up top. That LS7 is really a superb engine.

It seems that the Z06 has some issues with high speed direction changes according to Millen. And he said a few times "...all that power through just two wheels...".

And according to the track data: "But in grip, cornering speed and transition agility, the GT-R sets itself apart."

There is the reason why the GT-R is as quick as it is on the road and track

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
GM should atleast make R-compounds an option. Most people probably wouldn't buy them, but they would definitely help with magazine comparisons like this.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the awd definitely gives the GT-R an advantage around the track. Still hard to beat the vette overall though, it just looks so good and accelerates so fast. Put some stickier tires on it and it is be even better.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Not another one of these threads!!! I get tired of the rampant GT-R bashing, when it is clearly a great car that almost/does match the Z06 in performance. Everyone acts like its a bad thing for the Z06 to have a little competition in the price for performance category! Whats next, everyone saying a F430 is crap because it rivals the ZR1 in performance?(just a example, no fanboy explosins nessassary!)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GM should atleast make R-compounds an option. Most people probably wouldn't buy them, but they would definitely help with magazine comparisons like this.
I don't know about that. How many production street cars, as in cars that can go over a speed bump to steal a Top Gear requirement, are offered R-compounds standard or as an option? I can't think of any off the top of my head. The Cup tires on the GT3 might be the most aggressive street tire on a production street car. Anything more than that becomes unrealistic for street use IMHO.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I don't know about that. How many production street cars, as in cars that can go over a speed bump to steal a Top Gear requirement, are offered R-compounds standard or as an option? I can't think of any off the top of my head. The Cup tires on the GT3 might be the most aggressive street tire on a production street car. Anything more than that becomes unrealistic for street use IMHO.
Porsche offers optional r-compounds in Europe. That's why you often see very fast 'Ring times - R-compounds are an option so it's still a stock car.

Lotus also offers optional R-compounds on the Elise/Exige.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Oh, and the cup tires on the GT3 ARE R-compounds.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Oh, and the cup tires on the GT3 ARE R-compounds.
You are right. The PZero Corsa is also a R-Compound and I think those are on a few cars too.

Edit: I just noticed that the GT-R was on the standard Dunlop SP Sport 600 tires and not the option Bridgestone Potenza RE070.

Interestingly enough the 2004-2007 STi has the RE070 and the 2008 STi has the Dunlop SP Sport 600.

From my experience and others in the Subaru community the RE070 are more aggressive and "better" than the SP 600. The RE070 is more of an all out performance tire when compared to the SP600 which is still very capable but gives a better ride with less noise. The RE070 is seriously noisy.

Its kinda funny about the tires and that maybe the injectors of the GT-R might be compatible with the STi.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
booo! this was fixed. GT-R sucks.

The GT-R is a great car, and its actually starting to grow on me. i am surprised by the results however. i thought that the Z06 would be a tad faster.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Not another one of these threads!!! I get tired of the rampant GT-R bashing...

GT-R bashing?! Where... I don't see it!!! Come on... I only read one real bash against the GT-R in this tread... besides... this is a GM enthusiast web site! Deal...

My opinion... the Vette held it's own considering that 'all that power going to just two wheels'... that's a testament to the great engineering behind the Corvette... I hope that the ZR1 will be able to hold off the GT-R with little or no problem... (I hope that that statement doesn't categorize me as a GT-R 'basher'... ) **giggle** :fall:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GT-R bashing?! Where... I don't see it!!! Come on... I only read one real bash against the GT-R in this tread... besides... this is a GM enthusiast web site! Deal...

My opinion... the Vette held it's own considering that 'all that power going to just two wheels'... that's a testament to the great engineering behind the Corvette... I hope that the ZR1 will be able to hold off the GT-R with little or no problem... (I hope that that statement doesn't categorize me as a GT-R 'basher'... ) **giggle** :fall:
I don't think many doubt that the ZR1 would handily beat the GT-R at pretty much every performance aspect. But then again...there will be a V-Spec GT-R and rumors put it at a few hundred pounds lighter with about 550hp compared to the 480hp of the standard GT-R. I think the ZR1 would win that fight too.

BTW I like you sig. A vette would be cheaper lol.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It was a preemptive statement! Choose any other GT-R/Vette thread that is going on, the bashing is deffinatly there! Give this thread time, there will be plenty of unwarrented bashing.:D I know its a GM enthisiast site, I am a big GM enthusiast. I just try to have a fairly unbiased opinion, and give credit where credit is due! And the GT-R deserves some credit IMO!:cool:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I just try to have a fairly unbiased opinion, and give credit where credit is due!
Granted... and I do understand the 'occasional' (wink wink) other brand bashing with some treads... and sometimes I frown upon it myself... but, I will always think of the Vette as the Superior sports car... hands down...
:bio::

BTW I like you sig. A vette would be cheaper lol.
Thanks... I appreciate someone taking notice and understanding my sig... lol... Godspeed...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
LAChevy24 said:
The GT-R is a great car, and its actually starting to grow on me. i am surprised by the results however. i thought that the Z06 would be a tad faster.
The Z06 is quicker after 70mph, the GT-R(with the help of a launch control and R-mode setting of the AWD system and suspension) loses steam after that.

I am a big GM enthusiast. I just try to have a fairly unbiased opinion, and give credit where credit is due! And the GT-R deserves some credit IMO!:cool:
I agree with you there.
The Z06 and GT-R are both great sportscars that offer exotic car performance at a much lower price.
Nissan and Chevrolet just took different routes in making their affordable exotic.
The Z06 is a more traditional RWD large displacement Naturally-Aspirated V8 2-seater American sportscar, while the GT-R is an AWD turbocharged 2+2 coupe.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Wow! You're amazing.

You read that whole article and that's the best comment you could come up with??

How about the GT-R coming out 5 secs ahead on the track? That's a ridiculous number. It won't hurt you to say that the GT-R is a good car you know. ;)

I think that at a price similar to the Corvette, the GT-R is a far better value because of all the amazing technology that you get. Many magazine reviewers refer to it as a baby Veyron.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
The thing that worries me is if the Z06 has trouble putting power down to the street how is the ZR1 going to handle it?
2 things:
1. I believe the ZR-1 will get wider tires, so that should help.
2. The article states that the Z06 is much harder to control around curves because of RWD, and it still did really well. I'm guessing that any problem they had around corners was partly offset by monster acceleration in any reasonably straight part of the course. The ZR-1 will be at least 20% more powerful than than the Z06, so any straight sections of a road course should let it make up lost time with a vengeance.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.