GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
17 Camaro, 18 F150 Sport 3.5, 07 Town Car, 06 Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer
492 Posts
I got lucky with Ford and VW, every day and the past week or so has been depressing. Rivian is probably down thI got Ford when it was around 10 a share and VW when it was around 17 a share.
Same here. My Ford stocks are only still up because I bought around the same time but even Ford is sliding closer and closer to going in the red. The rest of my automotive stocks and portfolio in general just keeps sliding further down every day anymore.

Reactions: Andrew L

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,506 Posts
I know why they selling it (I am presuming they will continue to sell their entire holding) - Ford is an automotive company, not an investment firm making profit off of stocks. Ford invested in Rivian as Rivian was going to become a material contributor to Ford via supplying BEV's, which fell apart. Ford doesn't want the constant write-up's and down's as the valuation changes to make big impacts on their results as we just saw in Ford's latest quarterly earnings. But, Rivian is such a well funded company with deep pocketed backers - I feel like they should've held onto it for another year or two to see if it goes back up.

One thing to note is that the sale equates to $404 million (at 15MM shares sold), if I remember correctly, this is maybe 10% or so of their Rivian holdings.

I wonder if the unnamed buyer of the Rivian stock has the last name of "Ford"?
I can see your point of their divesting of the stock considering how it went.
I don't look in a down market - to painful.
Agreed. Reminds me of my dad sometimes when I come home on a bad Wall St. day.... "man your 401K really took a hit today" or something to that effect. I'm like yeah I know don't rub it in. o_O

·
Registered
22,004 Posts
Hard to say but I think your hunch that Ford will continue to sell its Rivian stock is a fair call, there’s no point in Ford keeping its investment is Rivian serves no purpose to them. The race is on now for Ford to recover its $1.2 billion investment and hopefully, a small profit for time invested…
Bad time for the lock-up to expire................

This was a big chunk of that, approaching $400 million!
It's kind of hard to figure, but as bad as it is I think Ford only paid about $12.00/share, so even at this level they would be doubling their money, and they didn't buy this as a "financial investment" they bought it as a strategic investment; if nothing else, the position kept other auto manufacturers out.

Yeaaaaah.... My eTrade, Fidelity, Schwab, and Morgan Stanley accounts are.... "significantly smaller" over the course of the past year.
Oh well indeed...
Wait; YOU thought those equity values were REAL? The FED has painted themselves into a box, whatever they do, it'll be wrong.

I think we've still got another 20% down, but that has the potential for the economy to start collapsing onto itself........ "hang-on"!

I've got 27 shares in my daughter's "college fund" at one time, that was $1,000 - ouch.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Like Musk said, making stuff is difficult. What was the name of that firm that bought GM's Ohio plant that wanted to make a pick up truck?
Yeah, arguably the toughest, most capital intensive business to get into.

What I don't get is "why sell" in general (everyone, not Ford). Sure, they are having start up problems now, but does anyone doubt that they'll figure it out? I have zero doubts that they will iron out their issues.
They are still making money on it, so who knows. Wouldn't be surprised if they want to keep minimizing their exposure to the volatility when having to report their own results. Plus more cash is good.

Bad time for the lock-up to expire................
Ooof. And if they start selling too many shares they could push it down even further.....

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
22,004 Posts
Yeah, arguably the toughest, most capital intensive business to get into.

They are still making money on it, so who knows. Wouldn't be surprised if they want to keep minimizing their exposure to the volatility when having to report their own results. Plus more cash is good.

Ooof. And if they start selling too many shares they could push it down even further.....

Not sure who this is, but more selling...........

According to CNBC, JPMorgan Chase plans to sell 13 million to 15 million Rivian shares on behalf of an undisclosed seller.

"Great Time to Buy, IT"S ON SALE!"

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
The WSJ article I read said the Rivian factory is only running at about 10% so far........yikes.

While not the most opportune time to sell, it provides $$ for their own EV ramp up while simultaneously decreasing a "paper" loss (see their Q1 results).
Looking at Rivian Q1 pick-up sales 300 a month 2022 Q1 , you have to actually make sell things before you start to make a profit always golden rule in any business Rivian pick-up fails on both 300 sales that's absolutely dreadful, Ford's Lightning will deliver the goods at a more affordable price.

US 2022 Q1 SALES
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Number

Bottom of the charts, virtually not selling a thing. MMMmmm must buy $5.4 billion shares in them. Ford could have given FOE a little bit of that money to develop a nice modern new RWD Cortina/Taunus sedan something to take on Tesla Model 3 with in Europe

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not sure who this is, but more selling...........

According to CNBC, JPMorgan Chase plans to sell 13 million to 15 million Rivian shares on behalf of an undisclosed seller.

"Great Time to Buy, IT"S ON SALE!"
Wow is the truck a pile of crap or something?

Or is this just terrible people at the top mis-managing everything and financially destroying this brand already?

·
Premium Member
36,092 Posts
Looking at Rivian Q1 pick-up sales 300 a month 2022 Q1 , you have to actually make sell things before you start to make a profit always golden rule in any business Rivian pick-up fails on both 300 sales that's absolutely dreadful, Ford's Lightning will deliver the goods at a more affordable price.

US 2022 Q1 SALES
View attachment 66136

Bottom of the charts, virtually not selling a thing. MMMmmm must buy $5.4 billion shares in them. Ford could have given us nice new modern new RWD Cortina/Taunus sedan something to take on Tesla Model 3 with in Europe
Rivian is more a forum and automotive world queen than a reality queen

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,690 Posts
Looks like lots of aggressive investors at this site. All my investments are are US Treasury bills, boring, but quite safe.
Not really.
It ain't anything that I can't leave there very long term.
I'm not getting the impression that anyone bet the farm on these guys.

·
Registered
44,811 Posts
Looks like lots of aggressive investors at this site. All my investments are are US Treasury bills, boring, but quite safe.
Not really.
My eTrade, Schwab accounts are tied to my company RSU and ESPP. Fidelity is where my 401K is. Morgan Stanley is where I do most of my trading. And I have a credit union where I have my CDs and a high interest savings account. Those are pretty boring, but no losses, just slow growth and "safe."

I do need to diversify though. I've sustained pretty heavy losses, as my portfolio is heavy on tech, but that's because of my company stock options. But my new company prices their RSUs based on the average of 30 days. So, the lower my company's stock goes, the better price I get. So... rooting for it to stay low, in the short term. Hehe...

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Of course timing is everything. At my urging, my mother bought heavy into Apple when it was trading around $9 a share in 1997. I also keep a few CDs with my credit union, and keep around 5% in gold coins because you never know when or if the entire system will go south.

·
Registered
44,811 Posts
Of course timing everything. At my urging, my mother bought heavy into Apple when it was trading around $9 a share in 1997.
Oh how funny. I did the exact same thing!! LOL...
I did it mainly as a favor for my buddy who was just starting at Morgan Stanley and needed clients.
I bought a few hundred shares back then. And I never sold any!! Muuuahahahah... lol

I also keep a few CDs with my credit union, and keep around 5% in gold coins because you never know when or if the entire system will go south.
I don't have any gold. But I think my mom does.

·
Registered
22,004 Posts
Wow is the truck a pile of crap or something?

Or is this just terrible people at the top mis-managing everything and financially destroying this brand already?
Nothing to do with the truck per-se, the stock market was "drunk" and full of "air" provided by the FED.

Here is a 6 month chart of $RIVN, $COIN, $PLTR, $NFLX - They are all down about 75% IN SIX MONTHS!

The air has came out of the balloon at a blistering pace.

Product Rectangle Azure Slope Purple

Reactions: CJH and 1958carnut

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
They may want it off, but when they sell they are losing money for real.
I know the likes of Ford only care about the next quarter, but yikes.

They're also losing the opportunity to show big profits when Rivian rebounds.
They're not losing money.

That's a solid "Maybe."
It was waaaaaaay overvalued at IPO, that much was certain.
Probably because it was viewed as the next Tesla, so people wanted to jump in early, plus they also had a lot of built-in sales at the beginning (orders placed).

21 - 40 of 54 Posts