GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,660 Posts
I know why they selling it (I am presuming they will continue to sell their entire holding) - Ford is an automotive company, not an investment firm making profit off of stocks. Ford invested in Rivian as Rivian was going to become a material contributor to Ford via supplying BEV's, which fell apart. Ford doesn't want the constant write-up's and down's as the valuation changes to make big impacts on their results as we just saw in Ford's latest quarterly earnings. But, Rivian is such a well funded company with deep pocketed backers - I feel like they should've held onto it for another year or two to see if it goes back up.

One thing to note is that the sale equates to $404 million (at 15MM shares sold), if I remember correctly, this is maybe 10% or so of their Rivian holdings.

I wonder if the unnamed buyer of the Rivian stock has the last name of "Ford"?
Hard to say but I think your hunch that Ford will continue to sell its Rivian stock is a fair call, there’s no point in Ford keeping its investment is Rivian serves no purpose to them. The race is on now for Ford to recover its $1.2 billion investment and hopefully, a small profit for time invested…

1 - 1 of 1 Posts