·
Registered
2,176 Posts
More info here: http://blog.gmnext.com/?p=194

2008-June-27
Ripping the ‘Ring: Stock ZR1 Laps Nürburgring in 7:26.4
By: Tadge J. Juechter
Corvette Chief Engineer

Over the last two weeks, we have been doing our final tuning and testing there before we start ZR1 production cars. This morning (Friday June 27), General Motors development engineer Jim Mero drove the Corvette ZR1 around the Nürburgring in a time of 7:26.4.

The car was bone stock with the exception of the communications and safety equipment. The tires were production Michelin Pilot Sport 2’s. These tires have been developed specifically for the ZR1 and will have impressive wet traction and wear (tread wear rating = 220), in addition to excellent dry road holding. Chassis alignment and vehicle height were set to factory specs. Likewise, the engine calibrations were absolutely stock, emissions compliant and the car ran on pump (not racing) fuel. The vehicle was exactly like the cars that will be built in Bowling Green, Kentucky and sold around the world later this summer.

Despite posting one of the fastest times ever run by a production car, Nürburgring lap times were not an over-riding priority in the development of the ZR1. The truth is, if the only priority was speed at the ring, the car would not be very pleasant to drive on American roads. The ZR1 is an incredibly capable track machine, but unlike most ultra-high performance cars, it is very easy to live with on a daily basis.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well this made my Friday morning great. GO GM!

·
Premium Member
34,352 Posts
this is great news. It really does not matter if the Vspec does it slower or faster for me. I would never buy that pig. Not that I could ever afford one.
I am happy it beat the GT-R though

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
great job GM! Very impressive. Maybe now work on a next gen V-spec GTR slayer? Give it to cadillac? Keep vette true to its core values? increase your profits selling a premium supercar through your flagship luxury marque? Cadillac Cien!

Put this much effort into the Beat/Cobalt/Malibu please!!!!

CobaltSS

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
:yup:

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I was wondering when we would get 'Ring #'s for the ZR-1. That's awesome!!:clap: especially after I read C&D's comparison this morning that has the Z06 last out of four and the GTR first!

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Great work to all those at GM for producing some of the best cars on earth.

All that and still get decent gas mileage.
the mileage on this car is impressive. The M3 also gets 14/20 with 414hp and less than 300lb-ft of torque. So much for low tech pushrods.

What are all the ZR-1 haters going to say now? For weeks people have been saying GM wouldnt release Ring times because the ZR1 couldnt beat the GT-R.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I like how he explains just how stock it is, and names what tires were being used, not just "production tires" like the Nissan. Also, this wasn't a race driver, but an engineer.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was wondering when we would get 'Ring #'s for the ZR-1. That's awesome!!:clap: especially after I read C&D's comparison this morning that has the Z06 last out of four and the GTR first!
I read that one the other day myself ... I'm pleased to see something beat that ugly, overweight flavor of the moment car.

5,934 Posts
Suck it, GT-R!

Now let's see what the V-Spec can do. Hopefully, the ZR1 owns that too.
'Cept the GT-R is in Z06 price territory. The ZR1 is about $30,000 more than the GT-R, so I suppose it should beat the GT-R. I'm not saying, just saying ...

I like how he explains just how stock it is, and names what tires were being used, not just "production tires" like the Nissan. Also, this wasn't a race driver, but an engineer.
I would be very interested to know exactly what tires the GT-R was running, cuz tires make all the difference on the track. Sure Kumho V710s or Hoosiers are "production" tires, but they are racing tires.

I think they need to list exactly what tires they run during these tests.

Me personally, can expect a 5-7 second increase in my track times from the stock Goodyear F1 run-flats I am currently running, over a a set of Kumho MX's or Kumho V700s which other Corvette guys run at the track.

As these guys did, tire brand and model needs to be listed in these times and comparos.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
'Cept the GT-R is in Z06 price territory. The ZR1 is about $30,000 more than the GT-R, so I suppose it should beat the GT-R. I'm not saying, just saying ...

I would be very interested to know exactly what tires the GT-R was running, cuz tires make all the difference on the track. Sure Kumho V710s or Hoosiers are "production" tires, but they are racing tires.

I think they need to list exactly what tires they run during these tests.

Me personally, can expect a 5-7 second increase in my track times from the stock Goodyear F1 run-flats I am currently running, over a a set of Kumho MX's or Kumho V700s which other Corvette guys run at the track.

As these guys did, tire brand and model needs to be listed in these times and comparos.
I would like to see John Heinricy jump in this car and take a few more seconds off the time.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Can someone refresh my memory, what is the GT-R claimed time for the Nurburgring?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts