GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after much toing and froing I finally bit the bullet, blamed "midlife crisis" and bought a new set of wheels to ring in the New GM. And I chose a very auspicious day: Bankruptcy Day.

No pics yet for those out there that are curious, but I should have pictures soon.

For those that can't wait, here's what I bought:

Pontiac G8 GT​

Fully loaded, in Liquid Red. Ultimately, I just couldn't pass up the deal of more than $10,000 off. When am I ever going to get that kind of a deal on a NEW car? Especially one this good?

Here are pictures of the beast.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Re: Ringing in the New GM

Congrats! I see them more and more often here in Orange County. I saw a nice white GT with a Magna Charger on it last weekend that made me consider a life of crime to be able to afford another vehicle. Drive it somewhere nice and get some good photos of it! Driveway shots don't count! ;-)

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks to all.

And it's a great car. It wasn't hard to fall in love with it once I drove it. It felt just like my friend's last gen M5. Wonderful to drive, very precise.

This is something I'm going to keep for a very very long time.

And I agree with Slideways. I keep seeing more and more of them on the road. I think a bunch of us old Pontiac fans simply wanted to buy what is the best Pontiac ever before Pontiac is simply no more.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts

As long as it's not that wretched colour that Hitman1970 chose!

:p:

Though I think that red is G-d awful too.

Did all of you want to be firemen when you were little? :D

Don't listen to me. I'm so beyond partial to white...

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Don't listen to me. I'm so beyond partial to whites and dark blues...
In fact I did want to be a fireman. But then wised up to the risks when I got older. ;)

I'm afraid I'd lose a white one in the winter up here. :p:

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts

Very nice!

And $10k worth of incentives? Excellent deal. In southern Ontario I'm starting to see more and more of these.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Very nice!

And $10k worth of incentives? Excellent deal. In southern Ontario I'm starting to see more and more of these.
I doubt we'll see many more. I bought the last GT in Ottawa. Supposedly there are but a handful left in Ontario, and a quick check online shows about 7 or 8. They won't last long.

In the end, it was an unbelievable deal. It's what nagged at me since February. Could I pass it up. Could I pass it up. And, no, I couldn't.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts

Congratulations! This forum is a veritable G8 brothel.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts

Don't listen to me. I'm so beyond partial to white...
Jealousy is such an ugly thing. :p: :drive:

Congrats, Zete. You are like the Great White North's GM Hope.

Liquid Red is a little too cop magnet for me. I went one tenth of one percent less cop magnet than you.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Jealousy is such an ugly thing. :p: :drive:

Congrats, Zete. You are like the Great White North's GM Hope.

Liquid Red is a little too cop magnet for me. I went one tenth of one percent less cop magnet than you.
Thanks.

But there was a lot of cold equations in my decision.
  1. The Enclave has 2 years on its lease.
  2. Our other car has 9 years on it.
  3. The >$10k off (with taxes) was unbelievable.
  4. It's a fantastic car.
  5. Having a midlife crisis in a G8 GT is a bit less obvious than in a Corvette ;).
Thus, my worry and that of my wife was that one of two things will definitely happen within 2 years: the lease will expire and we have to either buy out the Enclave or hand it back; or the old car will finally die or be too expensive to fix vis-a-vis a new car.

Now, we could have just waited until one of those events come to pass, but would there be a car worth owning of the G8's caliber and in that price range then? I'm betting there won't be.

Thus, we opted to buy the car.

Funny thing, my brother-in-law called me today to tell me he bought a Malibu. Go figure. GM sold two to my family on "bankruptcy day".

BTW, if I remember correctly, "Liquid Red" was known as "Arrest Me Red" back in the 80s. It's why I wanted that colour. It's the same red my old 84 Trans Am was. And, yeah, it was a cop magnet. But I'm a sucker for that colour of red.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

Congratulations Zete, with that and your Enclave you own some of the best products GM offers

·
Registered
5,174 Posts

Great purchase and good call on getting a RWD car despite the harsh Ottawa winters. Are a second set of tires in your future?

·
Registered
7,418 Posts

[*] Having a midlife crisis in a G8 GT is a bit less obvious than in a Corvette ;).
Amen! I will wait til my late 40s or the big five oh for the Corvette.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts