GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
It could use more than one cupholder. Also, I would like to see a nav system. Come to think of it, I want a nav system for the Aura.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This car never wowed me and it doesn't seem to be wowing the reviewers or the general public. I don't think European cars sold as American really work out that well, ie: Eagle Premier.

I am sure someone might want to quote me and say, "But the Astra is a different segment than the Eagle and blah blah blah."

That isn't my point. The Saturn Astra is too European to be "American," and doesn't have what an American consumer is shopping for. Too expensive for that you get and underpowered. It's a flop no matter how you slice it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Lets just say that they are about as moved by this thing as I was when I saw it. It looks like it's about 5 years old. At least the Honda Fit looked new even if it wasn't. This thing is boring outside and the interior is not bad in a quality sense, but God awful in style.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I really like the Astra. Would love to get a 3 door, but lack of sunroof is a real downer.....wished it was about $1500 cheaper and got about 3-4 MPG more.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
If people don't start buying the Astra, this may all be academic. At the end of April only 909 had been sold and some 9000 were inventory around the country.

·
Registered
998 Posts
the ones in the doors are close to useless though, ok for bottled water.
Ugh, I believe he was referring to the ones slightly under the rear back seats.

In other news, I just saw my first one on Canadian roads. It looked great in red, which is pretty surprising as I don't like many cars in firetruck (well, I admit it's slightly more orangish than firetruck) red.

I have however, seen many more CTSes and Malibus and new Vibes/Matrixes, so... >_>... Not to mention the updated Mazda 5 (I'm in Quebec, and it understandably sells extremely well) and Corolla (I just yell "no taste" everytime I see one, seriously >_>).

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
See both the 5-door and 3-door, as mentioned in other threads. Only the 3-door in red, blue or black looks nice...Maybe the orange too. However the 5-door looks old and bland. I guess they are stop-gaps until the new one arrives semi-soon. They need to get the new one (if it is good) here soon. The current Astra will do nothing to invigorate the Saturn small-car line-up. Sad...

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
If people don't start buying the Astra, this may all be academic. At the end of April only 909 had been sold and some 9000 were inventory around the country.

Dude where do U get your figures?

In April 909 were sold... for the year since it went on sale in the middle of January it has sold 2,386. Not great but better than the Audi A3 at least... with absolutely no TV Ads to boot. I think if GM advertised the car and didn't hobble it with only one engine choice it would be seriously well thought of... Giving it even the Cobalt's engine choices would be a great thing.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
GM did a great job marketing the Astra in our area.
Saturn was bringing the Astra out for a ride and drive event.
We signed up and were ready to go.
Saturn canceled the event.

Surprisingly, there is no Astra sitting in my driveway.
Still pondering the cause and effect on that one.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I test drove one and it's a fun little car. Unfortunately, Saturn's lack of marketplace presence is going to hurt this just like it's doing to the Aura, Vue and Outlook. Someone at GM better take notice. They need to launch a huge marketing campaign or quickly shift all these cars over to Pontiac.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I really like the Astra. Would love to get a 3 door, but lack of sunroof is a real downer.....wished it was about $1500 cheaper and got about 3-4 MPG more.
I like how everyone says about the mileage being low. A coworker has a Toyota Camry Hybrid that gets him 36 mpg....on the highway...

Although I agree it is not class leading FE, it isn't the worse option available on the road.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Ugh, I believe he was referring to the ones slightly under the rear back seats. quote]

Ok, happy to stand corrected.
My Aussie spec Astra CDX (5dr) has cupholders in each front door (2) (almost useless), an impression in the glovebox lid to use when stationary (1)(never even tried to use it), and a box at the rearmost spot of the centre console (1) - almost behind the driver for shorties (the best spot).
Nothing under the rear seat, I presume they slide out like a CD tray?

The Saturn must be a higher spec than we get.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
This car never wowed me and it doesn't seem to be wowing the reviewers or the general public. I don't think European cars sold as American really work out that well, ie: Eagle Premier.

I am sure someone might want to quote me and say, "But the Astra is a different segment than the Eagle and blah blah blah."

That isn't my point. The Saturn Astra is too European to be "American," and doesn't have what an American consumer is shopping for. Too expensive for that you get and underpowered. It's a flop no matter how you slice it.
The Ford Focus did just fine in its first generation. You 'do' know it was designed by Ford Europe, right? :lmao:

·
Registered
63 Posts
As an owner of a 2002 SL I can tell you why I don't want an Astra. I think it's a nice car and it feels much better than my car but it cost over 6000 dollars more than I paid for my SL. It also uses more gas! I can get up to the low 40 miles per gallon. On my Astra test drive the enigne RPM was 3000 at 65 miles an hour. Hell my SL is only turning 2300 at that speed. The problem isn't that it's from Europe, most Americans have no problem buying a foreign car. I for one do want to buy an American made car. Some of us do worry about America losing all it's manufacturing base!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I have seen a couple on the road but aside from Saturn and some GM fans, does anyone know this car exists? New model needs lots of advertising. So far I have seen almost none.

It could be that Saturn was cautious as the number of cars coming from Belgium is small but I think they went overboard on holding back advertising!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts