Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Review: 2009 Aveo5 "Surprisingly Upscale, Smooth and Quiet; A Real Improvement"

2009 Chevrolet Aveo5 is hot player on GM roster
Steven Cole Smith | Sentinel Automotive Editor
August 17, 2008
---
In the market for a fuel-efficient car? Chevrolet offers a much-updated 2009 Aveo5 hatchback. Aveo's 1.6-liter, 4-cylinder engine is surprisingly smooth and quiet, and drivers will find generous headroom.

Orlando Sentinel

There are two Aveo models: The Aveo sedan, which has a conventional trunk, and the Aveo5, a hatchback that is almost 15 inches shorter than the sedan. For 2009, the Aveo remains mostly unchanged, but we get a much-updated Aveo5. And there's good news -- it appears GM Daewoo is catching up with its competitors.

The 1.6-liter, four-cylinder engine is surprisingly smooth and quiet, and while gas mileage isn't great for a car this small, it's pretty darn good: an EPA-rated 25 mpg in the city, 34 mpg on the highway in our test car, an Aveo5 hatchback with the optional four-speed automatic transmission. If you are willing to shift for yourself, the manual-transmission version gets slightly better mileage, and you'll save $925.

Headroom in the Aveo5 is generous, and rear-seat room isn't that bad, unless you have some long-legged people in the front seat. That room comes at the expense of luggage space in the back, but the rear seat folds down.

The test model was a 1LT, slightly more deluxe than the base version, less luxurious than the 2LT. Our car had quite a few standard features, including air conditioning, side airbags, handsome 15-inch alloy wheels, OnStar and a 180-watt, six-speaker sound system. There were power windows, but not power mirrors. Options included the Japanese-built automatic transmission, keyless entry, antilock brakes and cruise control.

Inside, for the most part, the Aveo looked and felt surprisingly upscale, but there were a few tipoffs to the fact that this is an inexpensive car: While the flip-down sun visors had vanity mirrors, the mirrors were uncovered, meaning that when the visors were down, they reflected you and everything behind the car. It was annoying enough that I'd have to use a strip of duct tape to cover them if I owned the car.

On the road, the Aveo5 rode and handled as well as its most direct competition, the Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio and Toyota Yaris -- it's a real improvement over the first Aveos we saw. Acceleration won't win any drag races, but it's better than you'd expect.

General Motors has some new small cars in the product pipeline, but until they arrive, the Aveo and Aveo5 give Chevrolet dealers a model to sell to people who need a low price and high mileage more than they need style and performance. Aveo sales were up nearly 15 percent in July over July 2007, so there must be plenty of those people out there..

UNCUT SOURCE

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Re: Review: 2009 Aveo5 "Surprisingly Upscale, Smooth and Quiet; A Real Improvement"

there are some advantages for Aveo5 over its competitors. 100000 mile warranty, and timing belt, more standard features, improved looks and quality. It still has areas that need more work. The reputation does hurt the car, as well as some competitors reps do.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: Review: 2009 Aveo5 "Surprisingly Upscale, Smooth and Quiet; A Real Improvement"

1LT and 2LT.... I think its about time Chevy figured a new model line system designation... those just sound horrible

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts

there are some advantages for Aveo5 over its competitors. 100000 mile warranty, and timing belt, more standard features, improved looks and quality. It still has areas that need more work. The reputation does hurt the car, as well as some competitors reps do.
How is a timing belt an advantage over a chain?

·
Banned
6,540 Posts

I don't understand the bashing of the Aveo - for the money, it is fairly attractive, roomy, and the interior is well-designed and looks like you spent more money. After having experienced a completely shocking lack of rear seat room in the new Malibore, I sat in the Aveo and was surprised at how much room it had - and yes, the same 6 foot 2 brother-in-law sat in the front seat and adjusted it to his comfort while I was sitting in both. Chevrolet should be embarrassed at how little room it put in the new Malibore when its Aveo has more USABLE leg room and is so much easier to get out of. The Malibore didn't trap me in the backseat (pinned between back cushion and bottom or rear seat) like the Cobore did, but the Malibore was nearly impossible to get out of comfortably - the c-pillar invades in the head room and the b-pillar center post makes it almost impossible to get one's legs out of the back seat. Combine the two and the Malibore is the WORST ever (aside from CTS and Aura) vehicle to exit I've ever sat in (the Cobore was easier once the seat was moved forward to allow me to be unpinned.

·
Registered
418 Posts

How is a timing belt an advantage over a chain?
Yeah, how is it?

·
Registered
316 Posts

I guess an advantage of the timing belt is a potential in improved NVH for the engine.

·
Registered
813 Posts

I said it before, I’d drive one if it got 45 mpg. At 34 no thanks.
My Cobalt SS Supercharged with stage 2 still gets 31 mpg on the freeway!

·
Registered
7,418 Posts

Is the Aveo 5 any different than the sedan? If not, then it sucks just as bad. My dealer always gives me an Aveo to use whenever I bring in my Cobalt for warranty work and the Aveo is just an awful car.
The engine is buzzy and shifts are erratic, the interior smells like a toxic waste dump and although it handles bumps fairly well the suspension is all over the place.
This car is an embarrassment.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts

having driven the Nissan Versa, i can't imagine why I'd pick even this new Aveo over it. the Yaris is a heap, and the Hyundai Accent is, well, it's a Hyundai, but the Versa is a ton of car for the money, and feels more expensive. the Aveo still looks cheap and cheesy to me, now with an even stranger (or uglier, if you will) front end. and to only get 34 mpg out of something that size just seems like an awfully low number. no thanks, not good enough.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,297 Posts

I drove a Versa too, then figured out I could get a Cobalt SS for less money.
That pretty much took care of any interest in this class of car.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts

Only a die-hard life-long Chevy buyer would seriously consider this truly pathetic car. It's embarrassing when this is the best GM will offer in N.A.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts

Not sure how improved the looks are...now the car looks like it wants to eat you.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm getting used to it, but it IS a tad overdone. The revised rear-end is okay though.

Honestly, I almost rather have the Pontiac version in Canada and Mexico or the Daewoo Gentra hatch from Korea - they are both better looking IMHO:

·
Registered
505 Posts

So is the 3 door ever going to make it to America??

·
Registered
397 Posts

Not sure how improved the looks are...now the car looks like it wants to eat you.
Yeah, I'll definitely take my MINI Cooper S any day of the week. Even with the supercharger I get better gas mileage, and I don't have to drive around in something that looks like a cross between a Yugo and a Pinto.:D

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.