GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tested: 1991 American Performance Sedan Comparison
From the Archive: The Ford Taurus SHO, Chevy Lumina Z34, and Dodge Spirit R/T battle for front-drive domestic performance sedan supremacy.
BY ARTHUR ST. ANTOINE
Car and Driver

From the March 1991 issue of Car and Driver.

Webster's
defines "clipper" as a horse, sled, automobile, airplane, or other device that's considered to be especially fast. Because you're obviously not reading The Bluegrass Journal of Manure Avoidance or Supersonic Biplane, you will grasp that we're treating the subject of especially fast automobiles.

Just look at these three speedsters. The least powerful among them bakes up 210 horsepower. The stickiest of them claws around the skidpad with 0.80 g of grip. The fastest rips from 0 to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds and reaches a top speed of 141 mph. Oh yeah, these are clippers.

What's more, these clippers make few sacrifices for their speed. Each can carry four adults and all the camera gear needed to videotape a night game of Wesson Oil Twister. Each can be loaded with options, ranging from power windows and locks to fine audio systems. Two offer anti-lock brakes and a driver-side air bag. And all three cruise down the Interstate with enough ride cushiness to placate the rumps of all but your most thin-cheeked friends.

Not only that, but...wait. Hear that? Sounds like the opening bars of "The Star-Spangled Banner," doesn't it? And right on time, too, because we were just about to add that these three clippers are Yankee clippers. Each is a front-drive, Married with Children-grade American sedan tweaked with a hero engine and a driver-tuned chassis.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,109 Posts
Interesting read. It was just as I remembered it with the SHO being the star of the show. Pun intended.

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
I wonder what if the 1994 Impala SS had arrived 2 or 3 model years earlier? How it would had done against the Taurus SHO despite it wasn't in the same league.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,557 Posts
Interesting read. It was just as I remembered it with the SHO being the star of the show. Pun intended.
One for the money, two for the SHO :D

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,557 Posts
This "Yankee clipper" comparison actually involves cars assembled in the three major automobile producing countries of North America: Taurus SHO was assembled in the USA, Lumina Z34 in Canada, and Spirit R/T in Mexico.

Of course, all three were designed and engineered primarily in the USA.

·
Super Moderator
4,254 Posts
Z34 was on my bucket list, at least until I nearly bought one a couple of years back. Found out that some parts for the TDC 3.4 are impossible to get, and working on the motor is complete PIA.

I'll stick with my third-gen F-body fetish, at least for now.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Z34 was on my bucket list, at least until I nearly bought one a couple of years back. Found out that some parts for the TDC 3.4 are impossible to get, and working on the motor is complete PIA.

BRUH! LS4/F40 swap that sum bitch!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

The 3.4L DOHC V6 possibly set GM's investment in DOHC back 2 decades. They were awful right from Day One. Quick but horribly unreliable. Still it would be neat to have a GTP/Z34 from back then. But the SHO was the Ruler of them Days, until the T Bird S/C

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
I had a '94 Grand Prix GTP. The engine made a beautiful sound at peak output and I loved tapping the gas, it so easily revved and had a decent exhaust sound. However, I do differ on the opinion of the handling. It was definitely a two hands on the steering wheel procedure If flooring it from a stop as the torque steer, as common for the era, was really bad. And don't even think about flooring it in the rain. My recollection was that it didn't like to go around corners, it was a straight line kind of car. And above 80 on bumpy roads it could get scary, especially if you needed to tap the brakes. I loved it though - beautiful styling!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts