GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
You guys have to remember re: styling that you want to have a polarizing effect to be successfull. If you try to do what GM has tried to do in the past, namely make everybody happy, you'll fail to make anyone passionate. By having a style for a vehicle that's polarizing, you get people to either love your cars or hate them. And the ones that love them become loyal. What Bangle did was have a totally unique effect: everyone hates the styling. That's just plain bad. If it wasn't a BMW they'd not be selling very many. A friend of mine with a 745 has told me that "at least when you're driving it you don't have to look at it." 'nuf said.

I'm a case in point. I hate the design of most cars. I find them boring and derivative. When I went looking for a car last year I was in a funk. I disliked nearly everything I saw that was in my price range ($35-40k Canadian). My wife asked me if there was any car I truly liked. And, yes, there was one: the CTS.

Now, historically, I've found Cadillac's to be boring. I grew up in the 60s and 70s and watched Cadillac go from cool style to just land yachts and barges. Boring. The cars didn't appeal to me.

Cars that did appeal to me driver-wise were BMWs, but I hate the styling. Again, boring and bland -- and their quality is questionable (familly members have them, and they aren't that well put together). Mercedes, too stoic. Japanese cars? Lexus? Old man's car. Infiniti, questionable quality and a style that wears thin -- well, at least with me. Acura? Not a true luxury brand, no rear wheel drive, for example; plus, the styling is atrocious. Lincoln? Nope, too stodgy.

So, there I was. Nothing "reasonably" priced, by my definition, worked. But a $60k Canadian car did do the trick for me (yeah, it's fully loaded, I always buy fully loaded). So, there I was at 41 buying my first Cadillac. A total surprise to me and my friends. And you know what? The styling has grown on me. I loved it from the moment I saw it but I worried it wouldn't age well. Now I think it will and that it is a classic style. I think the interior is a bit too Teutonic, but it works and is well put together. Construction-wise there are no rattles, shimmies, etc. It's beautiful.

So am I happy? Yes and no. I have a beautiful car that works like a charm. I'm putting 2000 kms a month on it and it gets great mileage (30mpg on the highway). It's comfortable and plenty fast (I have the 3.6). Why aren't I happy? Well, my wife needs a new car in a year or two and there's nothing out there -- again. She hates all of them, except the CTS. The SRX she finds too big, for example. She doesn't want two of the same car. She's had bad experiences with Japanese cars, and finds their styling boring. She wants style with power (hopefully). Our only hope? The Velite which she loves, or the Solstice. Both GM cars. She's amazed, but there you go. And, of course, the new Mustang. She just loves that! Can't say I blame her.

In short, you can't please everyone and shouldn't. I think GM is going the right way if they keep to polarizing styling and build cars as well as the CTS and its kin are built. It'll pull in others. I know it has in our neighbourhood.

· Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by surferdude00711+Jun 24 2004, 10:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (surferdude00711 @ Jun 24 2004, 10:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-ebacic@Jun 25 2004, 01:58 AM
So am I happy? Yes and no. I have a beautiful car that works like a charm. I'm putting 2000 kms a month on it and it gets great mileage (30mpg on the highway). It's comfortable and plenty fast (I have the 3.6). Why aren't I happy? Well, my wife needs a new car in a year or two and there's nothing out there --
You said the SRX is too big so how about the Saab 9-2X? or Lexu- nvrm mind lol ud be waiting too long for that one.[/b][/quote]

To be truthful, we haven't looked at the 9-2X although historically she finds Saabs odd looking and generally unappealling, although the newer ones are nicer to her -- she calls them more feminine :). BTW my wife considers all Lexi to be ugly and an old-man's car. And I agree with her.

· Registered
24 Posts
I'm happier with CTS than Caterra. I probably wouldn't have bought my CTS if it was still called a Caterra, although that's the car it replaced. Bad image and all that. I'm sure I'm not alone in this and Cadillac probably was stuck and dealt with it this way. Plus it appeals to the youngsters who are fixated on weird misspellings of things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.