GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Shades of Art & Science and lots of Chevy SSR and Opel in their future section.

Great video. Thanks for posting. Yes it is sad. They could do the same one with four core brands going forward this time. I am sure there will be a lot of trying to boost morale of the survivors from here on out.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I had to mute the sound, though. I don't have enough white trash DNA left by my ancestors to enjoy Don Henley. At least it wasn't Bob Seger...

I'm still curious why anybody ever thought that vulgar, hideous, cartoonish caricature of a motorcar, the 1957 Chevy, is so well-loved by the American public. Even more curious considering how balanced and well-executed the lovely 1955 model was. Mutating the '55 into the vulgar '57 was tantamount to sticking Clint Eastwood's face onto J-Lo's body.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I had to mute the sound, though. I don't have enough white trash DNA left by my ancestors to enjoy Don Henley. At least it wasn't Bob Seger...

I'm still curious why anybody ever thought that vulgar, hideous, cartoonish caricature of a motorcar, the 1957 Chevy, is so well-loved by the American public. Even more curious considering how balanced and well-executed the lovely 1955 model was. Mutating the '55 into the vulgar '57 was tantamount to sticking Clint Eastwood's face onto J-Lo's body.
This song is the one of "those" songs. The overplayed in video montage songs. For the Army you absolutely cannot make an Apache video without Blaze of Glory by Bon Jovi. It is such a cliche now that all I picture when that song comes on is several Apaches running up on the ramp.

That puts you in a small minority not liking the '57 Chevy. That also does not make you right by any stretch of your self-loving imagination.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Nice find. I for one love the song Boys of Summer. Maybe I'm weird. lol

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
That also does not make you right by any stretch of your self-loving imagination.
Perhaps not. But don't make yourself look stupid by suggesting the general American public has anything resembling good taste. There's a particularly cruel example I could use to make my point but... I like you too much, and have enough respect for you, that I wouldn't cut so deeply into the quick.

Let's just say some of us are Chanel and Armani, and some of us are Helen Roper and Ronald McDonald.

:D

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Perhaps not. But don't make yourself look stupid by suggesting the general American public has anything resembling good taste. There's a particularly cruel example I could use to make my point but... I like you too much, and have enough respect for you, that I wouldn't cut so deeply into the quick.

Let's just say some of us are Chanel and Armani, and some of us are Helen Roper and Ronald McDonald.

Do your worst if that is what gives you your jollies.

Enough respect? More than a tiny amount? A might more than a little? Do you actually read the stuff you type?

Helen Roper was a total hottie.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Do your worst if that is what gives you your jollies.

Enough respect? More than a tiny amount? A might more than a little? Do you actually read the stuff you type?

Helen Roper was a total hottie.
Oh pipe down, will you?

The only jollies I get is watching overly dramatic types blow things out of proportion! I've noticed that trait is rather prominent among a certain, erm, "element" of American society...

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Oh pipe down, will you?

The only jollies I get is watching overly dramatic types blow things out of proportion! I've noticed that trait is rather prominent among a certain, erm, "element" of American society...

Aren't you surrounded by that "type" in your line of work? Those that wait with baited breath to say "Tsk, tsk, and inhale deeply at a non-correct word or phrase?"

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Aren't you surrounded by that "type" in your line of work? Those that wait with baited breath to say "Tsk, tsk, and inhale deeply at a non-correct word or phrase?"
I don't have the vaguest idea what the Hell that meant but...

Being an officer in the U.S. Army (or whichever branch), you're THE LAST person who should be criticising anyone for harboring arbitrary and artificial "class" notions.

And you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about...

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Discussion ruined. Oh well. Plenty of other threads to discuss GM's ongoing decline.

Oooh, my 666th post.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts

Actually, Robert Cumberford, who worked for GM Design and worked on the 1957, pretty much agrees.

"One man who worked on designing the '57 Chevy is Robert Cumberford, who today lives in France. He distinctly remembers that not a single person who worked on the 1957 car liked the design. He recalls working 84-hour weeks with others in a crash program to design the '57 model and that Harley Earl wanted the car to look as big as possible. To accomplish that, stylists stretched the fender profile to an extreme length, pushed the headlamps as far apart as possible and took the grille across the entire front end."

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2005/10/01/hmn_feature1.html

I remember reading somewhere (probably Automobile) how much it pained him to move so far away from the '55 design -- which he didn't work on, but admired -- to create the '57.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Actually, Robert Cumberford, who worked for GM Design and worked on the 1957, pretty much agrees.

"One man who worked on designing the '57 Chevy is Robert Cumberford, who today lives in France. He distinctly remembers that not a single person who worked on the 1957 car liked the design. He recalls working 84-hour weeks with others in a crash program to design the '57 model and that Harley Earl wanted the car to look as big as possible. To accomplish that, stylists stretched the fender profile to an extreme length, pushed the headlamps as far apart as possible and took the grille across the entire front end."

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2005/10/01/hmn_feature1.html

I remember reading somewhere (probably Automobile) how much it pained him to move so far away from the '55 design -- which he didn't work on, but admired -- to create the '57.

Like most car stylists, Mr Cumberford had a keen sense of design. He understood concepts such as balance and proportion.

The problem is the average Joe simply lacks the intellectual capacity to be able to separate what he likes from what is good design. There are cars I don't like, but I respect as being good designs. There are cars that I love, but I know they're not well-designed.

I often use popular music to explain the ability to separate one's own personal likes or dislikes from being able to judge them on their merits. For example, I don't like Tom Petty's music. In fact, I'd rather jab an ice pick into my ears than have to listen to a nanosecond of him. But that doesn't mean he's not a good musician. If I were writing a review of Tom Petty, I'd give him high marks. On the other hand, I can sit and listen to Limp Bizkit for hours... knowing full well that it's complete and utter shyt. What I like and dislike determines what I listen to, but not my opinion of it.

So applying this to car design, I see the '57 Chevy as a mishmash of every horrid styling mistake possible. The rear fenders are grotesquely out of proportion to the greenhouse, not to mention the rest of the car. "Tailfins" have only in VERY FEW CASES proven successful in styling, and the only two cars offhand that I can use as example are the "Fintail" Mercedes Benzes of the 1960s and the sharp, tasteful way Pininfarina grafted fins onto the Peugeot 404. The styling "sweep" on the rear fenders of some '57s exacerbated the fact that the fins simply didn't belong on what was basically a neat, conservative, boxy design.

The clean, simple, Ferrariesque eggcrate grille of the '55 gave way to the hideous "chrome-tittied" fussiness of the '57. And at that time period, Elwood Engel was probably the only designer on Earth who actually knew exactly where chrome trim should be used.

Men like Cumberford and Engel were not only gifted designers, but their work was near art. Harley Earl wasn't fit to mop Elwood Engel's kitchen. Harley Earl embodied the low-class obsession with affixing bangles, chatchkis and doo-dads onto anything and everything.

Earl felt "more stuff" equated to "more car", while Engel proved to the world, with his masterpiece 1961 Lincoln, that good taste and good design lay in simplistic elegance, not in trashy festoonery.

The bottom line is the '57 Chevy became a "classic" simply because a bunch of stupid yahoos said it was, and the rest of the lemming-like public caught on to this notion and ran with it.

It's not so much that I have a problem with the '57 being considered a "Classic", but that it, probably one of Chevrolet's worst designs ever, achieved a cult-like status while excellent designs like the '55 and the meticulously-balanced '65 are mere footnotes in history.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Rex that is so much BS, either you like it or you don't, simple as that. I can say Jurassic Park doesn't have perfect science but still enjoy the movie.

Get over yourself.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I like what t-rex is saying...and I even understand to a point.

The big exception is....to me...the 1957 Chevy looks good. But I can see compared to the clean 1955 and 1956, the '57 looks a bit gaudy.

This looks good (1957 Bel Air):

This one...not so much (1957 300D):

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Rex that is so much BS, either you like it or you don't, simple as that. I can say Jurassic Park doesn't have perfect science but still enjoy the movie.

Get over yourself.
No, it's NOT as simple as "either you like it, or you don't"

That's a very primitive way to think. Part of higher thinking is being able to remove one's own likes and dislikes from the equation.

It's sort of like McDonald's chicken nuggets. They're awful. I doubt they're even made out of anything resembling food. But despite being sub-food, I have this crazy love for the damn things and eat them more often than I should! In fact, they're one of only a handful of edibles that I get cravings for, and I duly enjoy dipping those pieces of breaded mystery into my barbecue-flavoured dipping sauce!

It's not rocket science, CJ. You don't have to be Einstein to allow your brain to make this separation. It's no more simply being obective. Subjectively, I love chicken McNuggets, but objectively, I know they're far from "good food."

I don't have a problem with people loving the '57 Chevy... I have a problem with people saying it's a good design. The '57 Chevy is the Chicken McNuggets of Chevrolet's history!

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I don't have the vaguest idea what the Hell that meant but...

Being an officer in the U.S. Army (or whichever branch), you're THE LAST person who should be criticising anyone for harboring arbitrary and artificial "class" notions.

And you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about...
If that is your worst? :lmao:

Give me an effing break. I WAS ENLISTED FOR THREE YEARS! Good to know your knowledge of the Army fell apart at the "E-4 mafia level." Privates hate sarge. Sarge hates Sergeant Major. What's a warrant officer, again? Everybody hates officers. They don't do any real work.

That all falls apart in a branch where the officers do most or damn near all of the trigger pulling.

Thanks for your service.

Everybody hates the boss.

The faintest idea that I am talking about is that hopelessly PC bubble that you cocoon yourself in known as ACADEMIA, THE WORST SMUG CLASS-ORIENTED COMMUNITY IN THE UNIVERSE!

I can find the size and bold icons too. :p:

Back to the video. Not too much Buick or Pontiac imagery, even in 2002.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts