GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Ford did this to themselves with the TaurusX. It really is a great vehicle with bloated and boring design. It's a cheap alternative to an SUV, but never had the looks to compete with the crossovers.

Ford is either hit or miss with crossovers. The Edge is nice, but the Flex and TaurusX are extreme in design and will not be a popular seller IMO.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I test drove a TaurusX a few weeks back as was impressed with how comfortable it was. What I didn't like was it was dull looking (the interior colors or either beige or grey-ish beige:cool:) and handling was on the numb side. There is a new Taurus due for 2010, hopefully a Taurus wagon will be resurrected. :). Not much chance I will buy one, the local Ford dealer is stocked full of salesmen that I would never consider buying from.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
My wife likes her Freestyle, but is already set on an Enclave to replace it in either summer of 2010 or 2011.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
I test drove a TaurusX a few weeks back as was impressed with how comfortable it was. What I didn't like was it was dull looking (the interior colors or either beige or grey-ish beige:cool:) and handling was on the numb side. There is a new Taurus due for 2010, hopefully a Taurus wagon will be resurrected. :). Not much chance I will buy one, the local Ford dealer is stocked full of salesmen that I would never consider buying from.
How about a lifted AWD Taurus wagon=New Taurus X

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Duh?

Taurus X is being replaced by the D3 Explorer due out soon. Same vehicle, better style.

Sable doesn't fit Mercury's new brand identity... Mercury isn't going to pull a Cadillac and keep around a DTS that doesn't match anything else sold on the lot.

·
Super Moderator
10,889 Posts
Well glad these moves are being made in light of recently published product plans. However, it's a shame neither really caught on. I recently rode in both vehicles and they deserved much more attention than they got. Both were more than competent.

Nevertheless, at least this will allow for more MKS production in the short term at Lincoln, no?

However, I have to wonder, if the Sable is being canned because of slow sales and the fact that it simply "does not fit" Mercury's new brand image, then why not cancel the Mountaineer and the Grand Marquis already?

I know that the Grand Marquis has a good following - and that it's the only "affordable" Panther-product now that you can't get a Crown Victoria outside of fleet sales - but it hardly fits the image of a recast Mercury brand, no? If I were to make a choice on what fits that image better, I'd rather kill the Grand Marquis now and keep the much nicer Sable for the short-term.

Anyone know if sales are off for the Grand Marquis and the Mountaineer too?

·
Registered
373 Posts
never liked the cars anyways

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
That's what happens when Ford doesn't market them (both cars) and has two very similar crossovers (Taurus X and Flex).

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Well glad these moves are being made in light of recently published product plans. However, it's a shame neither really caught on. I recently rode in both vehicles and they deserved much more attention than they got. Both were more than competent.

Nevertheless, at least this will allow for more MKS production in the short term at Lincoln, no?

However, I have to wonder, if the Sable is being canned because of slow sales and the fact that it simply "does not fit" Mercury's new brand image, then why not cancel the Mountaineer and the Grand Marquis already?

I know that the Grand Marquis has a good following - and that it's the only "affordable" Panther-product now that you can't get a Crown Victoria outside of fleet sales - but it hardly fits the image of a recast Mercury brand, no? If I were to make a choice on what fits that image better, I'd rather kill the Grand Marquis now and keep the much nicer Sable for the short-term.

Anyone know if sales are off for the Grand Marquis and the Mountaineer too?
Mountaineer WAS supposed to get a redesign ala Explorer, but this was cancelled in light of the new direction.

Grand Marquis is close to being cancelled as well. Right now, it's the only Panther available for retail sale. The Town Car is fleet-only, and still available only by special order. Mercury's new direction won't be rolling full steam for another year or two, so in the meantime, this will give dealers some needed volume to make money.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Never understood why they changed the names, Taurus X instead of Freestyle, Taurus instead of 500, Sable instead of Montego. Is that maybe the reason these aren't doing well? They can't decide on a name for these cars, customers get confused and wonder why a vehicle only out a short time receives a new name, or rather, an old name brought back. Doesn't make sense to me.

I saw a Flex on the road yesterday, and was underwhelmed. It just looks like a boxy wagon on the road, and doesn't do anything for me. I'm thinking that retro look they were going for will backfire on the Flex, because it really just looks like an old station wagon, not anything retro. The Lambdas are much better, and won't suffer any sales to the Flex, in my opinion. As for the Taurus X, I was actually looking at it, just in comparison to the Lambdas, which I really wansn't going to buy a Ford, but wanted to see all that was out there, and now they are canceling the Taurus X, glad I wasn't serious about buying one.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Cutting Mercury models, eh?

·
Registered
803 Posts
My wife likes her Freestyle, but is already set on an Enclave to replace it in either summer of 2010 or 2011.
Smart Wife...Enclaves are awesome.

Anyways, As soon as Mercury announced it's new "smaller" car direction, I just knew this was going to happen to the Sable. ...It was just a matter of time kind of thing for the Taurus X.

So...what are they going to do about the Product gap if they get rid of the Mountianeer? Could we be seeing the return of the Aviator?

Never understood why they changed the names, Taurus X instead of Freestyle, Taurus instead of 500, Sable instead of Montego. Is that maybe the reason these aren't doing well? They can't decide on a name for these cars, customers get confused and wonder why a vehicle only out a short time receives a new name, or rather, an old name brought back. Doesn't make sense to me.
Actually, I think they are doing better since the name switchbackwhatever-thing they did. Mually I think said that the 500 should have been called Taurus at one point, and then that started the whole deal... and they did refresh a decent amount on these vehicles, so it wasn't too awful bad. But that just goes to show, the familiar names need to stay!

I remember going to a Ford "Showroom of the Future" thing almost 2 years back (I think) at the Louisville Auto Show and seeing the 500 name still on the refreshed car. (what is now the Taurus) The man enthusiastically announced at the display "And over here we have the Ford Five Hundred, with a completely new design!" (I was not too impressed at the time, but the refresh has grown on me a little.) Not a few months later and they were already set on calling it Taurus...

I'll always remember that car with the Five Hundred Badge, It's a story to tell.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Duh?

Taurus X is being replaced by the D3 Explorer due out soon. Same vehicle, better style.
So is the current BOF Explorer dying soon? If so, when is this planned to take place?

And as for "pulling a Cadillac", isn't Ford doing with the D3 platform what GMis doing with Sigma? Cancelling 2 slow sellers and adding a new one or two?

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Smart Wife.

Anyways, As soon as Mercury announced it's new "smaller" car direction, I just knew this was going to happen to the Sable. It was just a matter of time thing for the Taurus X.

So...what are they going to do about the Product gap if they get rid of the Mountianeer? Could we be seeing the return of the Aviator?
Not exactly a huge market left for midsized BoF crossovers.

Lincoln-Mercury will still have a nice range of modern crossovers and SUVs to sell. The MKX is getting a substantial redesign and EcoBoost engine (340hp) for MY2010 or 2011, the new 3-row MKT crossover will be out around then, and Mercury will still have the Mariner, only it will be a version of the European Ford Kuga.

Not sure I see any huge product gaps there.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
So is the current BOF Explorer dying soon? If so, when is this planned to take place?
Not soon enough.

I'd say within 2 years... absolute soonest would be summer '09 as a 2010 model.

Current plan involves Mountaineer dying, Explorer being replaced by the D3 model, and Sport-Trac being replaced by the Ford F-100.

There's a rumor going around that Ford has seen DRAMATIC mileage increases with EcoBoost equipped F-150's, and they feel this might negate the need for a smaller F-100. I don't buy it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Considered a Taurus X last year. I like the new styling outside, and the powertrain was very nice. The interior, however, was underwhelming, and looked like it was slapped together in places. Plus, sice there were no incentives at the time, it was quite pricey, imo.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
And as for "pulling a Cadillac", isn't Ford doing with the D3 platform what GMis doing with Sigma? Cancelling 2 slow sellers and adding a new one or two?
Except that isn't what Cadillac is doing. They're cancelling the STS, giving the DTS a V6, and letting it soldier on through 2014.

I meant keeping a vehicle (DTS) that is completely at odds with the brand's intended image.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts