GM Inside News Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
You just quoted what I said. Height of OHC engines v OHV engines can be debated so lets just for argument's sake use the SBC derived push-rod EcoTec3 4.3 V6 and Twin Turbo it for the mid-engine Corvette. It has the same height and with as the Corvette V8 - but is still critically shorter. Problem solved.

But I'm not seeing width effecting Aero. We are talking a road car, not a single seat F1 racecar

This one is 100% wrong. Time for weight transfer is dependent on body structure flex and flex in suspension bushings. Weight at the front is bad for braking. Weight at the back is good for it.

http://automotivethinker.com/chassis/stop-and-weight-a-5050-weight-distribution-is-not-optimal/

;)
First off we both know a TT engine is not going to be modeled on the 4.3l. The only way to get those HP levels with the required reliability and rev happiness isn't going to lead down that road.

Secondly I did NOT quote you. You said
Positioned behind the passenger compartment length is the only critical measurement.
I stated the opposite. All dimensions are more or less equally critical in a performance car as you are choosing what compromises to make.

And your comment about flex while factually true isn't the primary driver on weight transfer. If you could build a chassis with 100% rigidity you would still have weight transfer when stopping. Even if a car had no front brakes and was 100% rigid it would still apply more force to the front wheels when stopping. Sure a looser suspension and higher CG will transfer more weight but the lack of those does not lead to zero weight transfer as you implied.

And BTW your link is terrible.

The Porsche 911 (just an example, could be a GT40 or Ferrari) has always been known for its great braking ability. Many people think its because of their brake technology; but lets think about that for just a moment: Do Porsche calipers pinch Porsche rotors any differently than say Corvette rotors pinch theirs? Probably not. What Porsche does have is their massive rearward weight distribution at around 60%
A Corvette actually brakes better. And then he goes on about efficient use of tires. That sounds great but the reality is that as long as you don't exceed the friction generating ability of a tire during braking "efficiency" is a moot point as far as performance is concerned (wear is though).

The reason 50-50 is considered perfect by many is balance. It's the best overall compromise between handling, braking, and accelerating.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
First off we both know a TT engine is not going to be modeled on the 4.3l. The only way to get those HP levels with the required reliability and rev happiness isn't going to lead down that road.

Secondly I did NOT quote you. You said I stated the opposite. All dimensions are more or less equally critical in a performance car as you are choosing what compromises to make.

And your comment about flex while factually true isn't the primary driver on weight transfer. If you could build a chassis with 100% rigidity you would still have weight transfer when stopping. Even if a car had no front brakes and was 100% rigid it would still apply more force to the front wheels when stopping. Sure a looser suspension and higher CG will transfer more weight but the lack of those does not lead to zero weight transfer as you implied.

And BTW your link is terrible.

A Corvette actually brakes better. And then he goes on about efficient use of tires. That sounds great but the reality is that as long as you don't exceed the friction generating ability of a tire during braking "efficiency" is a moot point as far as performance is concerned (wear is though).

The reason 50-50 is considered perfect by many is balance. It's the best overall compromise between handling, braking, and accelerating.
I am no longer going to point out your errors. I will keep my hard won knowledge to myself as there is a never ending supply of ignorance..... Have a nice day.

;)

61 - 64 of 64 Posts