GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080731/ANA05/852595349/1078

DETROIT -- General Motors plans to offer big cash incentives to move its GMC trucks -- including hybrids.

GM also will offer cash on some of its new crossovers and cars, such as $1,000 bonus purchase cash on the new Pontiac G8 sedan.

In a memo to its dealers, GM says it plans to offer $4,000 bonus cash on the purchase of the 2008 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, including the new hybrid variant of the full-sized SUV starting Friday, Aug. 1, and running through Aug. 19. The automaker also will offer $2,000 customer cash on the 2008 Yukon hybrid, making a maximum $6,000 discount.

Those incentive figures are preliminary and could change Aug. 1 after GM releases its earnings, says Pete Ternes, GM spokesman.

In the memo, GM plans to offer $750 purchase bonus cash on the new 2008 GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave crossovers, Pontiac G6 sedan, Buick LaCrosse and Lucerne sedans and Sierra HD gasoline variant pickup. GM will offer $500 on the 2008 Pontiac G5 compact car and Solstice roadster. The 2009 Pontiac Vibe car will get $500 customer cash.

GM is offering $6,000 total cash -- $4,000 purchase bonus cash and $2,000 customer cash -- on the 2008 GMC Envoy SUV.

GM is offering from $1,500 to $3,000 purchase bonus cash on various versions of the GMC Sierra pickup along with 0 percent financing through 72 months on the 2008 Sierra LD extended and crew cab versions and the 2008 Yukon and Yukon XL, not including the hybrid.

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No mention of a subvented leasing program.

With regard to the G8, I would assume the $1000 applies to the V6 model only.

Also - the GM SmartBuy incentive program will be discontinued on October 1st.

5,934 Posts
Nissan is offering $6000 back on a Titan here in Iowa. Saw an ad last week talking about that. Then $4000 back on another model, on down to about $2000 back I believe, for a different model.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Needed: A light at the end of the tunnel :(

These slow sales are depressing

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Nissan is offering $6000 back on a Titan here in Iowa. Saw an ad last week talking about that. Then $4000 back on another model, on down to about $2000 back I believe, for a different model.
Local offers shouldn't be confused with national corporate incentives IMHO.

For what it's worth, ALL 2008 Titans have $5,000 cash back right now.

5,934 Posts
Local offers shouldn't be confused with national corporate incentives IMHO.

For what it's worth, ALL 2008 Titans have $5,000 cash back right now.
$6000 back in Iowa and $5000 back in California, sounds national to me.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Ooooooh, that's not good. The large SUVs are to be expected. GM sells more than anyone and while they need to react to changes in buyer tastes directly related to the cost of gas and the economy, no one turns a ship this big, that fast. GM is doing its best to cut its losses and not get stuck with product very few people want. (It's the offering of product people do want that leaves something to be desired.)

The G8 really concerns me. This is not a cheap car, but it is not a luxury either, so if they start down that road this early, there may be problems down the line. Especially considering that the price is set to rise next year.

And the G5? Really?! Small cars are in vogue right now and this one should be a no-brainer. Why is cash required to move what is essentially a Cobalt? If they don't sell 'em out of Pontiac dealerships, just redirect production to the Chevy side. The Vibe is the same story, except it is brand new and shared with a Toyota.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Wow...........here's the deal, and I can't believe I am explaining this.....

A national incentive is the minimum.....and EVERYONE in the nation is entitled to it. Comparing local offers can be silly. An F-350 might have a $13,000 incentive in the city of San Fransisco, CA, but only $2,000 in St. Louis, MO.

But I do appreciate you at least saying your location! Some people think bad guys will come kill them if they list their location! lol

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
in Minneapolis, Trailblazer gets added to the BOF SUV programs, 0% x 72 or 6000 cash with Tahoe and Sub. Extended and crew Silverado's and Avalanche get 0/72 or 5k
Malibu gets conquest 1k and V6 bonus cash 1k (more than Impala). All on 2008's.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
I was thinking about this today. Year after year after GM does this, why don't they just lower the MSRP of their vehicles instead of kill the residual values of their cars by putting all this money on the hood?

Its not like they didn't know this was coming or something, just price the cars accordingly.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
No mention of a subvented leasing program.

With regard to the G8, I would assume the $1000 applies to the V6 model only.

Also - the GM SmartBuy incentive program will be discontinued on October 1st.
No wonder, G8 is a lame duck; maybe if this thing was launched 2005 would be a hot item. I was surprised last Tuesday in my BPG dealership how cheap and non-ergonomic interior looked. Very disappointing...

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
No wonder, G8 is a lame duck; maybe if this thing was launched 2005 would be a hot item. I was surprised last Tuesday in my BPG dealership how cheap and non-ergonomic interior looked. Very disappointing...
are you serious? that interior is NICE! get out of GMI if your going to say this.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Give a quick look to this thread and you will believe your own eyes.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...s-above-hvac-were-useless-gms-solution-67503/
You are an idiot.

How in the world do those gauges make the interior cheap and nonergonomic?

The G8 has a wonderful interior. It is a world class car in every way. If you are going to rip apart a car, at least do some homework like go check one out.

It's too bad the G8 style hasn't gotten filtered down to the G6. It would do wonders for that car.

And $1000 incentives are nothing. It once was the norm to have $3-4k on a GM car.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
That was also my impression of the G8 when I saw it in person. I was surprised at this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I started a thread a while ago they did $500 off the G8 Base Sedan. The thing is way too expensive. GM did pretty good squeezing the V8 under $30k, and I think it's a mistake to move it above that line for next year. But the V6 should have started at $25k, not $27.5k. Maybe even lower, who knows. But this thing is supposed to replace the Bonnie/GP and those cars had a ~$22k version. Incentives will get worse if gas prices get any higher.

Regarding the interior.... I wasn't utterly blown away when I finally saw it in person. It's not CTS like, but it is a huge improvement over a typical Pontiac. It also beats the piss out of the Charger interior. OMG that is a sea of sad plastic grey. And at this point with my driver assist (aka oh-sh1t) handles all falling off my bonneville, I will take a sturdy but slightly less fancy interior any day.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I was thinking about this today. Year after year after GM does this, why don't they just lower the MSRP of their vehicles instead of kill the residual values of their cars by putting all this money on the hood?

Its not like they didn't know this was coming or something, just price the cars accordingly.

The last time they tried that, in 04 I believe, it didn't have the desired effect. People coming into dealerships kept saying they would wait for the rebates to come back. Didn't make a difference about the price....they wanted the "incentives". Of course it may have been a better idea if instead of lowering the MSRP by a grand (less in most cases), they'd take the value of the incentive and reduce it. So for a 30k car with a 3k rebate, make it an MSRP of 27k. What they did was make the MSRP 29k and a small incentive, maybe 500 bucks. No wonder it didn't work. GM's biggest problem, I feel, is they are completely out of touch with the people that buy their cars. I don't think a single exec at GM has ever spent a day trying to sell cars at a dealership. They should have to spend a year, each and everyone of them, at a GM store taking customers and trying to sell them cars. Maybe then they'd learn what people are looking for.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You are an idiot.

How in the world do those gauges make the interior cheap and nonergonomic?

The G8 has a wonderful interior. It is a world class car in every way. If you are going to rip apart a car, at least do some homework like go check one out.

It's too bad the G8 style hasn't gotten filtered down to the G6. It would do wonders for that car.

And $1000 incentives are nothing. It once was the norm to have $3-4k on a GM car.
The base V6 interior is horrible. That got to be cheapest looking interior of any $27K car on the market at the time. Among other cheap looking things there is a plastic steering wheel which looks slightly better than the steering wheel in my 98 Chevy cargo van.

BTW, does the rebate apply for the GT model too? I could go with that, that engine can make me ignore some of the "minor' issues.

Never mind, the rebate is for the V6 model only.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts