GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080710/ANE02/51271918/-1/RSS31&rssfeed=RSS31

Article Quote:

Chevrolet also will launch a station wagon variant of the Cruze, a brand spokesman said.

The Cruze will be built on General Motor's Delta compact car architecture. It will use a new 1.4-liter global engine that GM developed and recently announced in Europe.

The turbocharged four-cylinder engine will be used in several GM vehicles worldwide. GM says the engine will be capable of developing 120 to 140 hp.

The name Cruze is a derivative of the word cruise.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I think with the slow, agonizing death of the SUV and even the minivan, more people will be interested in small wagons now. I think they should also make sure they offer the CTS wagon here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If Chevy is smart, they will sell that wagon here. Americans need to get over their Wagophobia (fear of station wagons).

With the SUV market dying, people need cars that can haul while having better fuel economy and aerodynamics.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080710/ANE02/51271918/-1/RSS31&rssfeed=RSS31

Article Quote:

Chevrolet also will launch a station wagon variant of the Cruze, a brand spokesman said.

The Cruze will be built on General Motor's Delta compact car architecture. It will use a new 1.4-liter global engine that GM developed and recently announced in Europe.

The turbocharged four-cylinder engine will be used in several GM vehicles worldwide. GM says the engine will be capable of developing 120 to 140 hp.

The name Cruze is a derivative of the word cruise.

Is it possible to quote the full article? Apparently you need to be a subscriber to be able to read the full article.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Well isn't the HHR just a Cobalt wagon anyways? So who's to say the Cruze wagon wouldn't be the next gen HHR? Could it possibly look like and/or carry the name Groove?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Sounds like they plan to phaze out the HHR. Seems like overkill to have two Wagons on the came size architecture. Unless The Cruze is going to be bigger they're creating overlap in the same division.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sounds like they plan to phaze out the HHR. Seems like overkill to have two Wagons on the came size architecture. Unless The Cruze is going to be bigger they're creating overlap in the same division.
If they're bring a cousin of the Zafira they might phase out the HHR.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
If they're bring a cousin of the Zafira they might phase out the HHR.
I think the HHR is toast regardless. Kinda hard to update that Heritage look. I still want them to sell the Groove though. It's smaller, and the shape looks better on it also even though I've always been a fan of the exterior of the HHR.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I guess it depends on if it is a true wagon like the Dodge Magnum, or more of a hatchback like the Mazda3.

I don't think the American public is going to fall in love with wagons again just because gas prices are high. Most people will just get a smaller CUV.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well isn't the HHR just a Cobalt wagon anyways? So who's to say the Cruze wagon wouldn't be the next gen HHR? Could it possibly look like and/or carry the name Groove?
LOL! Groove, Beat, Cruze. What crazy names! I guess with global platforms come global names that do not sound one bit American. Whatever that is.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The Groove would be a good idea, but its not for the same crowd as the HHR. I don't see grooves selling to many beyond the rap or latte crowds. Its basically GM's answer for Scion's demographic.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Opel Corsa, VW Polo, Ford KA... none of the small European cars have anything approaching a serious sounding name. Small is fun and fun is a goofy sounding name.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If Chevy is smart, they will sell that wagon here. Americans need to get over their Wagophobia (fear of station wagons).

With the SUV market dying, people need cars that can haul while having better fuel economy and aerodynamics.
This is a big DUH! that so many Americans have never been able to comprehend. So many jumped on the big behemoth SUV bandwagon for nothing more than fashion when a midsize wagon would have been far more efficient and just as practical. I really wish GM had developed a Malibu Maxx replacement or had more vehicles like Saab's 9-3/9-5 SportCombi models, but with better fuel economy. Right now I'm really considering a Volvo V50 to replace my Aura because GM currently offers nothing comparable.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The Zafira replacement, Meriva, will be sold as a Saturn, probably.
The Meriva is a gamma based MPV, not a Zafira replacement. They could sell the euro MPVs as Saturns find out they're selling mildly as well and then hurry to do a chevy version where they could sell more...or they can just skip the middle man, can saturn and give them right to Chevy.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
We love the usefulness of our HHR and hope GM keeps something similar around. It has proven to be a strong seller for them.

To those at GM; We would like to trade in our HHR on a small (HHR sized) wagon vehicle that has AWD. A small 1.4 or 1.8 liter engine would be fine. Sorry, the interior quality and poor gas mileage of the Vibe just turns us off.

·
Registered
667 Posts
A Cruze station wagon would be an excellent and useful addition to the line-up, as station wagons almost always are.

I hope GM can find a way of keeping the HHR viable - the trick that Chrysler failed to do (wasn't allowed to do?) with the PT Cruiser. I love the HHR.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts