GM Inside News Forum banner
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
Meanwhile, over at The Authority, they're standing by their position that nothing is set in stone and that the Camaro could last until 2026:

"...the timeframe for discontinuation of the current sixth-generation Chevy Camaro remains fluid, with uncertainty as to when the current generation will be sunset, as well as the overall lifecycle. One possible factor is a lifecycle extension for the sixth-gen model to the 2026 model year..."

gm authority dot com/blog/2021/07/chevy-camaro-could-be-replaced-by-performance-ev-sedan/
For sure we can all forget about a new and exciting ICE vehicle from anyone at this point.

My hope is that Electric will inject some passion back into the engineers and designers who have to dread going to work every day to come up with yet another midsize SUV variant.

Wishful thinking on my part but with way less platforms per manufacturer it will be less risky to actually take some chances.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
To the normal buyer sure, they don't care about the "look at me" effect. But when I'm plopping down 50 grand on a sports car...yeah it ain't gonna look anonymous and it isn't going to sound like a stock 2 liter turbo import. Look at this Challenger for example, it oozes a bad-ass nature that no Camaro or Mustang can match.
View attachment 64156
Hey, we all know it's all subjective. I like the Challenger look and its size, but it's so old and really hasn't changed much in appearance.

To dismiss a Camaro ZL1 1LE as not being bad ass is just plain silly.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Hey, we all know it's all subjective. I like the Challenger look and its size, but it's so old and really hasn't changed much in appearance.

Ehh...that's not stock and that's not a ZL1...IDK the ZL1 is awesome, and so is the GT500, but they both IMO lack that attitude, that give a damn-ness that the Challenger SP Widebody Shaker has.

I'm not making that statement as a bash on either, I'd take one of each in a heartbeat, but the Challenger has that "it" about it that the other two doesn't.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Ehh...that's not stock and that's not a ZL1...IDK the ZL1 is awesome, and so is the GT500, but they both IMO lack that attitude, that give a damn-ness that the Challenger SP Widebody Shaker has.

I'm not making that statement as a bash on either, I'd take one of each in a heartbeat, but the Challenger has that "it" about it that the other two doesn't.
That's why car forums remain interesting. Just the term "widebody" has fat lady written all over it, too round for my tastes. I'd take the sharp angular look every time. But true cars guys are COOL and recognize there's different strokes for different folks which makes for good discussion.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
That's why car forums remain interesting. Just the term "widebody" has fat lady written all over it, too round for my tastes. I'd take the sharp angular look every time. But true cars guys are COOL and recognize there's different strokes for different folks which makes for good discussion.
There's something "cold" about the Camaro ZL1...I can't put my finger on it. It's kind of how you look at Lambos and Ferraris...Ferraris for the longest always had this function over form approach to design whereas Lamborghini, you got that extra craziness in design, was it functional - maybe, but it was mostly for that visual flair..that's what the Dodge IMO has over the Camaro and Mustang.

·
Registered
672 Posts

That’s one badass car. I think the camaro is hands down better looking than the challenger in any configuration. The challenger is looking old and tired but for comfort and daily driving… the dodge all the way.

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
Looking at some other posts from other forums a decrease in structural rigidity is one problem another was (at the time) the Zeta platform wasn't set up for them,but I swear there was another answer for this and from a name that I think I could trust with that type of info.....ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!
I googled it too, I did see something about T-Tops being an answer to convertibles going away due to declining sales. But then convertibles didn't go away so there wasn't a point to t-tops and they were discontinued.

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
For sure we can all forget about a new and exciting ICE vehicle from anyone at this point.

My hope is that Electric will inject some passion back into the engineers and designers who have to dread going to work every day to come up with yet another midsize SUV variant.

Wishful thinking on my part but with way less platforms per manufacturer it will be less risky to actually take some chances.
My thought is there will be no choice but to have more expressive styling. Engines are such a big piece of a cars character and that is going away. Now all makes will have the same effortless and instantaneous thrust. No more great BMW engines to set it apart - their propulsion will be little different from a Chevy. All of them will have their batteries down low, so all will have decent handling even without fancy sport suspension & tires. That leaves styling - we will still have a lot of understated styling as that is what the masses want. But I think they'll need to have more highly styled vehicles to help brands stand out even if not everyone will consider one.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Sure, but something has to bridge the gap from now to then as CAFE standards are ever increasing on a yearly basis. All while many Americans increasingly want HUGE trucks and SUV's.
From what Ford and GM have been saying, those HUGE trucks and SUVs are precisely what's coming down the EV pipeline.

And if you replace the worst fuel economy offenders (those trucks) with vehicles that have better CAFE numbers than a Smart car, CAFE numbers and carbon credits become meaningless.

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
From what Ford and GM have been saying, those HUGE trucks and SUVs are precisely what's coming down the EV pipeline.

And if you replace the worst fuel economy offenders (those trucks) with vehicles that have better CAFE numbers than a Smart car, CAFE numbers and carbon credits become meaningless.
I'm thinking down the road as BEV becomes mainstream. Politicans will figure out that a brick on wheels is exactly that no matter what the propulsion system - a BEV truck will still be an energy guzzler. I wonder how they'll create a new "carbon tax" - it'll be pretty unfair for folks with clean energy sources vs. dirtier ones. There is money for the politicians to make and I have no doubt they'll figure out a way.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I'm thinking down the road as BEV becomes mainstream. Politicans will figure out that a brick on wheels is exactly that no matter what the propulsion system - a BEV truck will still be an energy guzzler. I wonder how they'll create a new "carbon tax" - it'll be pretty unfair for folks with clean energy sources vs. dirtier ones. There is money for the politicians to make and I have no doubt they'll figure out a way.
If you drive a car, I'll tax the street.
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat.
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
You won't get taxed necessarily, unless power companies can figure out what portion of your consumption is used for EV charging, but you most definitely will start seeing a more pronounced efficiency rating for EVs. Right now eMPGs are confusing as all hell, but once it gets fleshed out to something more understandable and relatable, then the Hummer is going to end up right back at square one.

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
If you drive a car, I'll tax the street.
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat.
If take a walk, I'll tax your feet.
That's great! Never saw that before!

One way or another, they'll have to figure out a tax and quickly as a lot of revenue comes from gas taxes. I'd like something I perceive as fair based on miles driven and the weight of your vehicle, though no clue on how that data will be easily obtainable and without big brother tracking where I drive and more concerning - how fast I drive.

·
Registered
602 Posts
GM has been ****ing around with the Camaro for years!!!!! The car has no direction , so the shots let it die on the vine. I sure as hell wouldn't want any of these guys in a bunker with me,.......they'd tuck and run at the first shot~~~~~~ LOSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude, you didn't understand what the point I was trying to make?????? You work for GM????? They screw up an auto or design, it sucks at sales, and they say there was no market for it!!!! You think there is a market for the HX Hummer??? No competition for Jeep except the Bronco, where is GM??? The old Challenger and Charger are beating the **** out of Ford and GM.............Where are they?????? Pathetic!!!!!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts

Yea, after a few years "IT" is a piece of ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Dude, you didn't understand what the point I was trying to make?????? You work for GM????? They screw up an auto or design, it sucks at sales, and they say there was no market for it!!!! You think there is a market for the HX Hummer??? No competition for Jeep except the Bronco, where is GM??? The old Challenger and Charger are beating the **** out of Ford and GM.............Where are they?????? Pathetic!!!!!!!
Are you arguing with yourself?

#FightClubGMI

121 - 140 of 178 Posts