GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
via Twitter
January 7, 2021

Korea's Hankyung News reports that Apple is in negotiations with Hyundai regarding cooperation on an electric, autonomous Apple-branded vehicle planned for 2027. Hyundai is expected to help develop batteries and manufacture the vehicle.
Bloomberg News
January 7, 2021

Hyundai Motor Co. said it is in early discussions with Apple Inc. on developing self-driving electric vehicles, sending its shares up as much as 24% in Seoul.

“Apple and Hyundai are in discussion, but as it is at early stage, nothing has been decided,” the South Korean manufacturer said in a statement Friday.

With development work still at early stage, Apple will take at least half a decade to launch an autonomous, electric vehicle, people with knowledge of the efforts have told Bloomberg News. Hyundai is accelerating a push into new technologies such as electric, driverless and flying cars, including setting up a $4 billion autonomous-driving joint venture.

Hyundai’s intraday stock surge in Seoul was the biggest since 1988. A cable TV unit of Korea Economic Daily earlier reported the discussions with Apple. Hyundai has completed internal discussions on the project and is awaiting approval from
the chairman, according to the report.

Apple declined to comment.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did not see that one coming...if true in any way, shape or form.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Apple building an autonomous EV, sounds like GM Cruise is about to get some serious competition.

·
Registered
20,100 Posts
Did not see that one coming...if true in any way, shape or form.

I have a former co-worker, she works and different automotive supplier now, Apple has been "poking around" in the automobile arena for a while, going back at least 2 1/2 years.

Who knows how serious it is, a company like Apple could have 50 "Iron's on the Fire" at any one-time, it's not like they don't have the money to create or buy a business.

·
Premium Member
32,715 Posts
I have a former co-worker, she works and different automotive supplier now, Apple has been "poking around" in the automobile arena for a while, going back at least 2 1/2 years.

Who knows how serious it is, a company like Apple could have 50 "Iron's on the Fire" at any one-time, it's not like they don't have the money to create or buy a business.
I am just not that impressed with Cook. He is no Jobs. Of the old tech giants, only Microsoft has an impressive CEO Satya Narayana. He did manage to stop the Microsoft slide into old technology obsolete status. Apple, I am not seeing the pixie dust lately

·
Registered
43,695 Posts
Automotive companies will have to enter new spaces to stay on their game. Tech and mobility all one space
Hyundai’s never been just a car company.
They’re a multi-industrtial chaebol. A US equivalent would have been the old GE, before their management failures caused its collapse and selling off divisions.

·
Premium Member
32,715 Posts
They’re a multi-industrtial chaebol. A US equivalent would have been the old GE, before their management failures caused its collapse and selling off divisions.
The US business environment is not conducive to conglomerates, even folks like Google etc will be forced to divest.
Mother Barrah seems to have a good model where she buys just enough for control then brings in the cash from the likes of SoftBank etc... saving herself the trouble of integrating into her balance sheet.

The Nikola missteps was hieugee.. but it’s understandable since a bunch of former senior level GM lifers over there were feeding her coldaid

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
At first when I read the headline I thought Apple was buying Hyundai.

Anyways, should be interesting to see what things will look like in 5-10 years.

·
Premium Member
35,450 Posts
Automotive companies will have to enter new spaces to stay on their game. Tech and mobility all one space
Didn't you hear? GM is a technology company.

·
Registered
43,695 Posts
The US business environment is not conducive to conglomerates, even folks like Google etc will be forced to divest.
Yes and no.
A lot of the larger American conglomerates fell victim to their own success. They were ultimately mismanaged. Evan once all powerful GE was mismanaged. Once they lost their diversification, the holes in their respective balance sheets reared their ugly head.
AT&T is also a very mismanaged company and has been for about 40+ years. AT&T is a badly run conglomerate. Their WarnerMedia arm is a conglomerate in its own right.

Walt Disney is a very well run American conglomerate.

Alphabet is the other American conglomerate. Alphabet is very well managed, though, from what I understand, it’s a pretty cutthroat environment there. But that also depends on what team you’re hired on to. If you ask me, they’re the toughest of the FAANGS to get in to. That barrier to entry is high.
Alphabet is not divesting anything. But for all the legal challenges levied against the American tech giants, only the one against Google has a chance of succeeding.

Mother Barrah seems to have a good model where she buys just enough for control then brings in the cash from the likes of SoftBank etc... saving herself the trouble of integrating into her balance sheet.
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
She’s guided GM through a lot of divestitures and consolidations to improve GM’s balance sheet.
It seems to have worked.
But in improving their cash position, GM’s left a far less influential and smaller company. But I don’t think it’s a leaner or meaner company.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,440 Posts
True. When i saw this post, this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Heavy_Industries was the first thing that came to my mind. :)
Didn't you hear? GM is a technology company.
So... Next maybe they'll be a tryin' to sell ya a computer instead of a car...er...excuse me an SUV and an electric one at that. ;)

·
Registered
20,100 Posts
"BREAKING NEWS"

From Automotive News - Hyundai backtracks on talks with Apple

Details to follow; news at 11:00

·
Registered
20,100 Posts
Unsurprising, Apple would cut off talks just because it was announced. Apple does not like loose lips.

The reference I made prior; when I was talking to her she said, "we are doing work with the fruit company".

Reactions: mbukukanyau and CJH
1 - 20 of 53 Posts