GM Inside News Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Millennials want these cars but unfortunately we're not in the financial state to be able to afford them.
I don’t understand this argument. Genuinely. I can name a place just North of Nashville that will hire anybody who can weld (MiG and simple arc) right now at $17 per hour as a starting, probationary wage. Within six months you’ll be made permanent and, if you are willing to take on some of the more difficult jobs, be at $20 an hour. They can’t keep people so getting hired is easy even if you just have very, very basic welding skills which are extremely easy to come by. This isn’t something that requires years of school and a ton of money.

Even better, they work twelve hours a day Monday through Friday and, if you want, you can work Saturdays as well, although you didn’t have to last I heard. Twelve hours a day working ever other Saturday, which gives you two full weekends off a month, would work out to about eighty grand a year.

That’s a lot of money for a young, single guy. That’s still a lot of money for a young, married guy with a two income household. Baby boomers didn’t really have better opportunities than that when they were young. Neither did the kids of generation x. And it is important to note this place is a pure revolving door and most of the people going through that door are millennials. Why?

I think millennials drank the Kook Aid. Millennials see the success of grandma and grandpa and don't realize grandpa did jobs much more difficult than this one to get there. Millennials see the lifestyle of mom and dad and don’t understand why they can’t have that right now without having to do jobs they don’t want to do. The opportunities aren’t really that different, but the generations are.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well if you know of a place looking for good help then everyone making less money than they need is obviously lazy or at fault in some other way.

That said, the length of auto loans has grown substantially over the past decade as fewer and fewer buyers are able to make the monthly payments of shorter loans. Well over half of new car buyers are in loans longer than 72 months. When people have to take on that kind of debt to buy a new vehicle then the purchase of a second (new) toy car for weekends isn't a viable option for many buyers.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Well if you know of a place looking for good help then everyone making less money than they need is obviously lazy or at fault in some other way.
It isn’t just one place. I know of a few places offering similar work in the Cincinnati area and which pay slightly better than the Nashville locale. And this is just in one industry. My experience is that a goodly portion of more recent generations don't like hot or dirty work and they don’t like to work overtime. That doesn’t cover everyone, but you can paint with a much, much broader brush here than in prior generations in my experience.

That said, the length of auto loans has grown substantially over the past decade as fewer and fewer buyers are able to make the monthly payments of shorter loans. Well over half of new car buyers are in loans longer than 72 months. When people have to take on that kind of debt to buy a new vehicle then the purchase of a second (new) toy car for weekends isn't a viable option for many buyers.
AndI think this speaks to the same problem. We are encountering younger generations with very different expectations regarding how hard and how much they will be expected to work to achieve a lifestyle similar to what their parents had. In larger numbers than prior generations these people are deciding that they want to work less, and work less strenuously, but they still want what mom and dad had. So, the financial community is adapting to accommodate, and people who are often already choosing to make less money are placing themselves deeper into debt by taking out loans with worse terms buying product that they can’t afford. You can’t expect to achieve more on less effort. It just doesn’t work like that, pun intended.

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
A bit off topic here but I agree with Lithium, and I am of the older generation. I assumed laziness or entitlement until I had someone show me the data. In my area the poverty level is $72k a year. Yes there are many tech field jobs that pay more but not everyone is an iT manager. Not everyone can weld either.

I saw a van literally roll to a stop at the gas pump the other day. When I spoke with the older retirement age woman I realized that this woman worked 2 jobs, and was saving to move out of her van into an apartment. The least I could do is fill her tank. She would have had to wait a few hours until midnight to get paid. That is reality my friends in many regions.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts