GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Does it even need its own engine? The LT1 SS is plenty fast enough. Throw the ZL1 1LE aero/ tire package on a SS and viola Z/28. If people bitch and complain that it isnt enough, take out the back seats, stereo, and trunk carpeting.
Is this engine in any way related to the new 6.6L in the HD trucks? I'm betting they may share some R&D here with a different cam/heads for the car vs the truck spec. Not that a handful of Z/28s would trim the cost much on the heads/cam/tune calibration, but it is a lot cheaper than the entire engine being made for a very niche car.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,385 Posts
The only plausible explanation is that GM is burning through R&D money trying to get electric and autonomous vehicles to market before everybody else.
LOL - I still hear nothing from GM other than Bolt.

It's a real shame to see Camaro not getting any love. I will likely buy a used one in the next couple of years. Lots of good low mileage Camaro deals on Autotrader.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
I think this topic is an indication that GM is failing us, not the Z28 is no good. IMO the issues are:
1. High price for the Z
2. Small interior that means the car is a 2 seater, without the pretense of a rear seat.
3. High school debt load for an age group that would normally buy a high performance car
4. Decreased family income and wealth that leads to owning fewer cars, buying used cars, buying an "all-arounder" instead of more performance specific cars, eg, a Traverse instead of an SS and a Camaro ZL-1.
5. Changing attitudes about cars, BEVs, autonomous versus self driving
6. High insurance costs for performance cars
7. High repair costs
8. GM price gouging on all their new vehicles

The list could go on, but this is a start.

·
Registered
252 Posts
They weren't that popular in Gen 5, and that was a generation that sold very well. I don't think you would have seen it sell well in Gen 6 either, especially with the ZLE available. I would have been curious to see how it would have improved on the ZLE which already has the DSSV shocks (that was major difference in Gen 5 between the ZL1 and Z-28. The impending doom of the Camaro AGAIN hurts my soul. I feel betrayed as a loyal GM buyer. This really pisses me off. They are not here for me as an individual to meet my needs, but damnit there are certain name plates that should within reason never leave the stable and the Camaro is one of them. There is a place for this car in GM and in America. The lack of commitment and missing the mark is the reason for the low numbers not the lack of potential buyers. Make the changes that have been asked for since Gen 5 and it would move off the floor. Like I have said before, the performance of the Gen 6 outshines the detractions for me, that is not the case of many buyers and I recognize that. Make it more livable and make it look good and keep the performance and GM, your there. Instead, they shutter the program, pathetic, same BS that occurred at the end of Gen 4. I did not think this would happen again, but they found a way to lower the bar yet even lower.

Reactions: Z Fury

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think they needed fewer Camaro models rather than more. As cool as a Z/28 would be, it edges into C8 pricing, at which point most would rather have the mid engine masterpiece.

Ford has it right: one base car and the V8. Chevy could do them better with a V6 and V8. The NA LGX V6 is more rewarding to drive than an Ecoboost while the V8 should have gotten a mid-cycle power bump to keep up with the Coyote (a better use of R&D than a one-off engine for the Z/28 since it could have gone into the C7 as well).

Of course none of the powertrain stuff matters if the Camaro isn't a good daily driver. As Chevy has finally learned, the market for weekend toy cars cannot sustain the Camaro sales they require for profitability.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I think they needed fewer Camaro models rather than more. As cool as a Z/28 would be, it edges into C8 pricing, at which point most would rather have the mid engine masterpiece.

Ford has it right: one base car and the V8. Chevy could do them better with a V6 and V8. The NA LGX V6 is more rewarding to drive than an Ecoboost while the V8 should have gotten a mid-cycle power bump to keep up with the Coyote (a better use of R&D than a one-off engine for the Z/28 since it could have gone into the C7 as well).

Of course none of the powertrain stuff matters if the Camaro isn't a good daily driver. As Chevy has finally learned, the market for weekend toy cars cannot sustain the Camaro sales they require for profitability.
Uh....Ford has 3 V8s 5.0, 5.2, 5.2SC

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
This is what happens when you treat customers like idiots that will just pay whatever price GM dreams up. Chevrolet buyers have traditionally stayed out of buying vehicles until GM wobbles at the knees and gives in on strong incentives. Did GM simply forget Chevrolet rule 101 or was it trying to break the customers will?

They did not listen, they’re not listening still, perhaps they never will.......
About 10-15 years ago I was part of an Arizona F-body club that had a lot of members, pretty much all with only few year old 4th gens when I joined on. We were all hardcore GM, through and through. Since then, I can only think of 2 diehards that are still only (new) GM. One with a Duramax and a 5th gen (that has been problematic), another who was my tuner who now has a ZR1 Vette, I believe... only because he can afford it. All my other friends have moved from GM because there's nothing really for them. A few friends have some of the last good performance cars out of GM. One has a TBSS, another has a G8, another has a few Caprice cop cars, another has an SS (but he's quickly jumping off the GM bandwagon, and jumping onto Mopar... has a Scat Pack Challenger now too).

Millennials want these cars but unfortunately we're not in the financial state to be able to afford them.
True. The glory years with my Trans Am were after high school, and throughout college. I bought mine used, but they were a lot more affordable then. At least 4th gens had fun V8 cars that had cloth, and were pretty basic and very affordable.

I think this topic is an indication that GM is failing us, not the Z28 is no good. IMO the issues are:
1. High price for the Z
2. Small interior that means the car is a 2 seater, without the pretense of a rear seat.
3. High school debt load for an age group that would normally buy a high performance car
4. Decreased family income and wealth that leads to owning fewer cars, buying used cars, buying an "all-arounder" instead of more performance specific cars, eg, a Traverse instead of an SS and a Camaro ZL-1.
5. Changing attitudes about cars, BEVs, autonomous versus self driving
6. High insurance costs for performance cars
7. High repair costs
8. GM price gouging on all their new vehicles

The list could go on, but this is a start.
Agree with all those points.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The 5th gen Z was a slow seller, IIRC it was what, 1500 models offered per year for 2 years? The mags loved it when it came out and some of the hardcore track guys went right out to buy them, and then the clean-daily-with-a-diaper collectors, but outside of that they didn't sell. I recall them going for well over $10K off the sticker to move the last of the '15s. A screaming deal for a 505hp performance beast, but just proof of the lack of customer set. The ZL1 was better for the street and easier to wring more power out of.

The hardcore $70K track cars are awesome to beat your chest over and throw out in the 987,000th Ford vs. Chevy argument, but the potential buyer is such a tiny, tiny niche. Of course I hate to see the Z not come to pass for the 6th gen, but it's really no surprise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Uh....Ford has 3 V8s 5.0, 5.2, 5.2SC
I should have added, mainstream engines. With Ford you have one base engine and then you're into the V8. Chevy squeezes two low end engines in below the V8, one better than the Ecoboost and one worse. IMO they would do better against the Ecoboost if they made the LGX V6 their low end engine. It's more responsive than a turbo four and it doesn't need premium unleaded.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
About 10-15 years ago I was part of an Arizona F-body club that had a lot of members, pretty much all with only few year old 4th gens when I joined on. We were all hardcore GM, through and through. Since then, I can only think of 2 diehards that are still only (new) GM. One with a Duramax and a 5th gen (that has been problematic), another who was my tuner who now has a ZR1 Vette, I believe... only because he can afford it. All my other friends have moved from GM because there's nothing really for them. A few friends have some of the last good performance cars out of GM. One has a TBSS, another has a G8, another has a few Caprice cop cars, another has an SS (but he's quickly jumping off the GM bandwagon, and jumping onto Mopar... has a Scat Pack Challenger now too).

True. The glory years with my Trans Am were after high school, and throughout college. I bought mine used, but they were a lot more affordable then. At least 4th gens had fun V8 cars that had cloth, and were pretty basic and very affordable.

Agree with all those points.
my F body was during high school when I was young AND single and MORE capable of "putting up" with bad ride hard to get in/out of and a VERY LONG hood
it was cheap and fun and passable as a "REAL CAR"

·
Registered
205 Posts
While Dodge is releasing more and more models of the Challenger and Charger. :/
GM could have done the same too.
Imagine if the 650hp LT4 went to the Z/28 and the ZL1 got the 755hp LT5 instead.

If you think about it, the C6 Corvette Z06 shared its LS7 engine with the 5th gen Camaro Z/28, it would make sense if they continued to share engines.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
You don't seem to know much about GM if you think GM is on the road to bankruptcy. I suggest you do more readings of what's going with GM before making such a ridiculous assessment.
They are certainly well on the road to spiritual bankruptcy.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Might as well drop the Vette. It doesn't sell much. Could someone explain why Ford has a Shelby 350 GT and a 500 GT on the way?
Why? When all of those displaced Camaro owners and wanters will just naturally move over to the C8 and the sales of the C8 will go up and up and up!.

Everyone wants a mid-engine Corvette,even those lowly Camaro owners.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It’s time for Mother to go. One has to balance between passion and Balance sheet. Right now is the tyranny of the Balance sheet.
Well, I guess more than doubling EPS over the timeframe of Mary's tenure leaves very little room for that to happen. If somehow passion can lead to a better balance sheet then that would have happened. But, I guess good business sense overcomes passion any day.

GM is a for-profit company first. If you do not like it, then stop buying GM...or any other for-profit company doing similar things (who isn't these days).

Passion will come back to this industry when the customers are demanding for it. Right now, consumer have no passion for cars...

At the same time, looking at the same numbers for FCA, while it has more than doubled for GM, for FCA it has dropped. It's a great example of how focusing on passion leads to a smaller balance sheet.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Gm specialty vehicles like the camaro and corvette have to sell on their own merit.

All the incentive funds went to move chevy cruzes for the past few years till they cancelled the model..

Now there are very little incentive funding available to help the camaro compete with the dodge challenger incentives etc...

The refresh was a bomb...even the refresh of the refresh is a bomb...

The real dating feature of the very nice looking sixth gen camaro was the c pillar...not the front or rear facia but that was deemed to expensive to alter...

Shame the camaro will soldier on until 2023 model year...without a full top hat restyle.

Maybe now that the cruze is gone soaking up all the incentives the camaro might get a few to do battle with fca s give away on the challenger.

Pony car buyers love the segment...but half the montly payment of a dodge challenger made the camaro look like an expensive choice...and without incentives the camaro was..l

As much as I prefer the camaro to the challenger...the monthly lease deals I ve seen comparing one to the other..if I were in the market ...ld lease the challenger rt over a camaro too...

It was like half the price...

Pony car segment buyers simply said to themselves “Ill drive a dodge challenger rt at half the monthly payment of a camaro for 24 or 36 months” camaro unit sales fell....challenger unit sales increased...

Unfortunately GM executives mis read the situation and did a typical front facia restyle that was absolutely horrible..(it was the monthly dodge subsidized lease deals...not the front facia ..

41 - 60 of 88 Posts