GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,412 Posts
Just like Ford, GM is diverting money away from what would be considered normal incremental projects to its version of go fund me for EVs and AVs that may or may not deliver huge increases in revenue and profit.

It's kind of sad that GM invests hard in performance RWDs and then seems to give up half way through their planned product cycle... I want to know what's the next refresh for Camaro or is that now it apart from a minor tizz here and there?

Ford and Dodge must be chuckling to themselves.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What a shame. Soon there won't be any reason for me to set foot on a Chevy dealership. Not really a fan of the mid-engined Vette direction, as I'm a fan of the long nose/short deck proportions that have done so well (guess that's why I own so many 2nd gen F-bodies). When Camaro is eventually killed off, there isn't anything on the lot for me to want. Unless Silverado does a radical MCE inside and out by then.

Reactions: RedSkyBlackDream

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
Wait, why isn't this good news!?

Progress right?

GM acknowledging what they can't profitably do?

:confused:

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
GM is on track to decreasing its footprint by 100% - its called bankruptcy!

Never forget the Bankster Master Plan from 2009.

Roughly but still close enough without looking it up....

Toyota 19.6x / 22 %

Ford 18.?? / 20 + % and also possibly in front of Toyota by a little bit.

GM about 15 and little bit more / to just under 17.0 %

'Chrysler' somewhere between all but busted up to around 5.9 % - and also of a very low quality meaning mostly Fleet / Fleet Rental and posited as ( very ) likely using other's PTs.

Not sayin' it is 'it'; nor even if it is involved that's all of 'it' but it helps explain just so much...... especially when you add in Toyota's various fails ( yes I said that ), Ford's, and of course Marchione's different ideas and results for FCA.

(Just divvy up FCA amongst Toyoski and Ford - that's where the missing percentages are.)

Plus critically the sheer stupidity, outright and inexcusable fundamental errors including but by no means limited to positing everybody was supposed to be in.... and wanting more battery Hybrid 'Pods'. And then..... the arrogance of it all brought in by the Bankster architects. Absolutely no feel whatsoever for the Biz in general or the End Users in particular.....

This Country desperately needs the right kind of Purge....'Movie' - and this Master Plan plus the fruit it is still producing is a classic example of why.

I digress - still further.

Sometimes I wonder.... if Ms. Barra strongly intends to be the very first one to obediently and precisely deliver on all points, a strong result as instructed.

The Good Pupil or Understudy if you will....

Meaning basically a 15 / 17 % US Marketshare along with the preferred Financial Performances while pushing out all the future ( breaking ) **** and Shinola as also and precisely required.

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
I'm sure that LT3 would have produced 525+ normally aspirated horsepower.
I would have expected 550 HP.

I'm also disappointed that the LT3 won't be going into the C8. Maybe not enough separation from the LT2.
I admit to hearing so little about the LT2, I'm not sure what to expect, other than a 6.2L displacement. I imagine some sort of "hot" parts like then GM went from the LT1 to LT4 engines during the '90s.

I'm not really surprised, the Z/28 was a niche vehicle in the extreme. Do any of you know the sales figures for Z/28?
I don't recall a limit on the production (not in the press release), but they only had a certain amount of LS7s to allocate to the Z/28.

What a shame. Soon there won't be any reason for me to set foot on a Chevy dealership. Not really a fan of the mid-engined Vette direction, as I'm a fan of the long nose/short deck proportions that have done so well (guess that's why I own so many 2nd gen F-bodies). When Camaro is eventually killed off, there isn't anything on the lot for me to want. Unless Silverado does a radical MCE inside and out by then.
Oddly, this report confirming the plans (& now death) of the LT3 makes me wonder about GM's overall powertrain strategy. For the Camaro to have an exclusive engine (not just a Corvette hand-me-down), would add a ton of cost to the R&D side of the equation. The same could be said for wasting money by offering the 5.3L engines with both AFM & DFM.

·
Banned
5,461 Posts
Does it even need its own engine? The LT1 SS is plenty fast enough. Throw the ZL1 1LE aero/ tire package on a SS and viola Z/28. If people bitch and complain that it isnt enough, take out the back seats, stereo, and trunk carpeting.

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
Does it even need its own engine? The LT1 SS is plenty fast enough. Throw the ZL1 1LE aero/ tire package on a SS and viola Z/28. If people bitch and complain that it isnt enough, take out the back seats, stereo, and trunk carpeting.
Well, the Z/28 models (with the slash) have had engines that no other Camaro used. The 1st gen had the 302, using parts of other engines. The 5th gen was the only model with the LS7, a Corvette engine. I wonder just how much might be gained by using the LT1 as a start & applying the crankshaft & associated parts from the Silverado HD for just a displacement boost (to the same 6.6L). It's more air being pumped through the engine, it just won't have the higher revving characteristics. Could we get to the same 505 HP as the LS7? It may not be "more" than the previous Z, enthusiasts remember that it still carries less weight. If the 6th gen Z/28 was still on, anything deleted on the 5th gen would be expected to be jettisoned here (no carpet, back seat, A/C, etc.).

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Really people are complaining?

Nobody is buying the sixth gen calaros and the current lineup includes

Turbo 4 300hp?
V6
V8
Supercharged v8 650 hp

No one can find a model they want?

Sorry yet I find that hard to imagine anyone seriously wanting a camaro couldnt find one in that model and engine lineup.

The camaro lineup for 50k annual units is wide enough as is.

No one is seriously going to buy z28 models and if they were there are 1LE , ss, or ZL1 models to satisfy that need.

Meanwhile dodge is goving away v6 and 5.7 challengers for half the price of a comparable camaro.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
See ya!

Good Riddance

Chevy never listened to any suggestions given by this site and now they get to reap what they sowed.

Bet they wished they would have paid a little more attention to those who were trying to help them, well they got their way, hope they enjoy their lollie pop.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Really people are complaining?
Pretty sure that people aren't as much bemoaning the lack of having the Z28 specifically in the lineup, but more of the fact that this along with other news/rumors about the Camaro in these last weeks, that the 7th gen Camaro is essentially dead. The fact that Chevy has pretty much thrown in the towel on the Camaro name altogether is the frustration that many are feeling (at least I know I am). As SierraGS said, it's a shame that GM is tone-deaf to what people were really asking for, and now a model that was recently a good seller is on death watch.

Reactions: JBsZ06 and SierraGS

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
No worries....Mary Barra said GM is a software company...so maybe they will have a VR Z/28

Reactions: SVT74

·
Premium Member
11,412 Posts
See ya!

Good Riddance

Chevy never listened to any suggestions given by this site and now they get to reap what they sowed.

Bet they wished they would have paid a little more attention to those who were trying to help them, well they got their way, hope they enjoy their lollie pop.
This is what happens when you treat customers like idiots that will just pay whatever price GM dreams up. Chevrolet buyers have traditionally stayed out of buying vehicles until GM wobbles at the knees and gives in on strong incentives. Did GM simply forget Chevrolet rule 101 or was it trying to break the customers will?

They did not listen, they’re not listening still, perhaps they never will.......

·
Premium Member
11,412 Posts
It’s time for Mother to go. One has to balance between passion and Balance sheet. Right now is the tyranny of the Balance sheet.

What has GM defense done for the Balance sheet lately?
Speaking of balance sheet, Silverado pulled up lame last month
with just over 47,089 sales while Sierra put in a solid 19,530 sales,
the combined was 66,619 sales, less than Ram's 68,000.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Fca has pulled out all the stops for unit sales as it works towards a merger because fca doesnt have the cash to go it alone.

Basing a theory on a couple of thousand units of ram trucks over the silverado is a flawed idea.

Yes the new ram is a great teuck yet its incentives do play into the computations of superiority.

Jmo.

The camaro styling was evolutionary and unfortunately the consimer was looking for so,ething that didnt show up in GMs market research.

The sixth gen camaro is excellent...its just too familiar to the fifth generation which was a sales success.

Sometimes this **** happens. A company makes a decision on evolutionary styling verus totally new and they dont get the unit sales results they were looking for.

Add in the heavy incentives v6 and 5.7 liter v8 challengers and unit sales per camaro sold takes a hit.

Vehicle to vehicle with regards to platform...the camaro is superior.

Profit per vehicle is probably stronger as well.

Unit sales for fca to attract a merger partner is paramount...consumers win on cheap lease deals at doge..

I dont blame consumers...its pretty much a no brainer

·
Registered
146 Posts
Much like the hiatus in the '00's, this hiatus (and everything else behind it) are due to their interpretation of the current twenty something crowd's philosophy on driving. I remember similar stories being told when they cancelled the Camaro after the 02 run that it will never come back. In fact, tastes and desires change on a whim.

I am sure once the 20-something crowd get their salary doubled and rent their own pad, their wants and desires will change as well. But, in the meantime, GM is going to soak up $40B of cash from its current customers in the hopes that it will hold itself over until they figure out what "Millenials" want. Anyway, marketing mags in the '90's said that the millennial generation will be the most watched and studied ever--guess that wasn't enough for GM to make a move on them...

This all-electric autonomous stuff is for value generation only. When peak electric or autonomous occur, they'll cash in with the rest...

ATS has gone away and no other chassis (or whatever you want to call it) can be shared with Camaro at the moment. Yes, that's right. They will not make the Camaro again until they find a chassis that can fit with the Camaro... In their minds, the current generations' demands are not in this arena. In the meantime, Gen X and Babyboomers can go to car auction and buy their Camaro Z28 1LE...
Millennials want these cars but unfortunately we're not in the financial state to be able to afford them.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts