GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my Monte Carlo has been on the internet long enough and I have a serious buyer very interested, I just have to ship it to North Carolina from New York :lol: ! I've been thinking what I want to replace it with.......

I have it narrowed down to 3:

A late 80's Trans Am

Questions- What is the difference between the TA's & the GTA's other then the trim? How realiable are they (I would be getting the 350 TPI)? I've heard they have a very hard stiff ride, is this true?

A Fiero a '86-'88 for the GT Fast back body style

Don't ask how I like Fiero's & Trans Am's, I just have ever since they came out when I was little.
Questions- Other then the Engine trouble what else goes wrong with these things?

A Grand Am

Yeah It's Front Wheel drive, but I like the style & I've driven a few at work. Depending on my budget & how much I'm willing to save I would love to have a 1999+ GT 2-door, but just not sure.

If you were in my position which of the 3 would you choose?

By the way- How do ya'll like my new avatar? Can you guess what it's from? ;)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have a 89 gta 350 tpi hardtop!
on the other hand, I love the fiero too, but I realy wanted a v8...
mine has 100k miles, and it's ultra-reliable. also, the ws6 suspension (optional on TA, but standard on gta) is ultra-stiff... a guy I know said it best: you step on a coin, you know wich side it was up-hehe-
also, I believe that up to 91 only the gta's had the cross laced rims.

the steering has lots of parts and the endplay adds up, that's maybe the only point where it could get more expensive than other regular cars.
also, the t-tops (if it has) could leak (but who drives those in rain?) and the rear (aero)wing could crack badly needing to be replaced with a fiberglass one. you also have to verify if the rear calipers are working well.
the engine/tranny(only automatics for the 350tpi)/rear are virtually indestructible in stock form. the t5 manual mated with the 305 tpi is weaker.

for a t-top car, the first mod (if not allready done) is a sturdy pair of subframes, that's about it.

you will love the throttle response of the 350 tpi, it's big block like, also the car handles well.

what kind of usage are you planing for this car (only summer weekends, etc), will you want to mod it for more horsepower, etc?

overall, they are dirt cheap those days, you can't go wrong with them, and have the pride to own a piece of history (do a search for 91 kugel TA).
for more info, try www.transamgta.com and www.thirdgen.org

what ever will be your decision, you have to go and test drive a few
good luck

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
forgot to add, compared with the 2 places/no trunk fiero, 2 extra seats are handy, plus you won't believe what huge boxes I carried in it from the home improvement store via the huge hatch. stuff you could never fit into a late rustang for instance

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
If you can find a 88 Fiero SE or GT they were nearly perfect in there last year. They had a redone suspention and the (FIRE) problem had been fixed years earlier. Sure they dont have a back seat like the T/A but there COOL! :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Do not get a 1999+ Grand Am, they are trouble.
The Fiero would be cool. Going for the V8 swap?
But an F-body would definately be the car that I
would choose. Be sure to get a TPI and 5-speed.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
By the way- How do ya'll like my new avatar? Can you guess what it's from? 

From a 1955 Pontiac with a V8 of course...

Go with the Firebird, good handling, easy to work on, still a good looking car. It's a gret performance buy for the money.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@May 4 2004, 01:53 PM
Do not get a 1999+ Grand Am, they are trouble.
The Fiero would be cool. Going for the V8 swap?
But an F-body would definately be the car that I
would choose. Be sure to get a TPI and 5-speed.
Why is the 1999+ Grand Am trouble? I am wondering because I am considering a 2002 Grand Am GT coupe.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by idontcareican@May 4 2004, 12:43 AM
How much money are you willing to spend?
I'm going to get around $1,200 for the Monte, and I'm pretty good at saving my money so probably around $4,000.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by atlantaballer101@May 4 2004, 06:23 PM
if u have enough you should get the new bonneville gxp, northstar v8 with 275hp.
Sure.....as soon as I get my '55 done and sell that...NOT :blink: ! Dude I'm only 18 :rudolph:, let's be realistic here

·
Registered
641 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8+May 4 2004, 11:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PontiacJ8 @ May 4 2004, 11:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-idontcareican@May 4 2004, 12:43 AM
How much money are you willing to spend?
I'm going to get around $1,200 for the Monte, and I'm pretty good at saving my money so probably around $4,000. [/b][/quote]
If I were you, I'd check to see if I could find a good deal on a 97-98 Grand Prix GTP (coupe or sedan). Power a little closer to the T/A but FWD and new like the GA. Heck...I would probably take a 97-98 Grand Prix GT over the GA.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the information & suggestions! I've decided to save for a 1987-89 Trans Am GTA :D. Maybe I'll get the Fiero later on (I have a 350 out of a 1971 Tempest waiting to be put in something ;)). For right now though I see the GTA as a good car through the spring, summer, and early fall, oh yeah and it has room! :lol: Well thanks again! I really appreciate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts