GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen Avis' new commercials featuring their Cool Cars collection, so I decided to see what is available and where. Unfortunately it looks like you can only get a Cool Car at airport locations and they are freaking expensive. I haven't taken a look at airport rates in a while, but they have always been higher. I just never knew they were this much higher or why.

Here's the local rate for a subcompact:

Here's what the same rental costs you at our airport:

That's a $126.67 penalty for renting at the airport rather than a location a few miles away, and most of that difference is in city taxes.

In Chicago, renting at O'Hare costs you $229.15 more than renting 20 minutes away in Elk Grove, thanks to both city taxes and much higher rate prices.

O'Hare:

Elk Gove:

In LA it's the opposite with LAX being $24.33 cheaper than the local location. In NYC where renting cars is crazy expensive anyway, you'll pay $61.59 more at JFK than at the neighborhood locations. In Las Vegas you only pay $15.87 more for renting at the airport.

Do any of you take cabs and rent at neighborhood locations to save money or do you always rent at the airport you fly in to?

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I rent at the airport. Last time I flew, I rented from enterprise and got an intermediate car for $20/day w/unlimited miles. Then I got free upgraded to full-size.
Of course, that was Savannah.

·
Registered
44,906 Posts
I always rent at the airport because of the convenience.
When I go to New York, I don't rent at all because I can get around using public transit. Same with Chicago. And the same holds true for San Francisco.

You need to rent in LA because everything is so spread out.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
You should thank the many nameless souls who go through that airport and help pay your taxes. Unless I got a good deal, I'd never rent from the airport. Many business professionals need that convienience though, and the company pays through the nose for it. It's good for the gov't coffers though!!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
If you're traveling to Chicago, fly into General Mitchell International (MKE) in Milwaukee. Much better airport than O'hare, and you'll get through security faster. Then rent a car or take Amtrak/bus to Chicago.

It'd probably be cheaper to rent at General Mitchell too.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sucks that some cars are only available at the airport and we have to pay the rediculous fees and taxes Houston politicians have designed to gouge travelers.

I think from now on when I fly and rent I'll be checking rates before I book and in the case of cities like Houston and Chicago I'll take a cab to a neighborhood location.

·
Registered
6 Posts
But are those the rates for a non frequent traveler or are they the rates for a club member? That could be another comparison.

:drive::bounce:

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But are those the rates for a non frequent traveler or are they the rates for a club member? That could be another comparison.

:drive::bounce:
Those are standard rates. Even with a club discount you can't aviod the rediculous taxes in some cities like mine.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
There are ways around the ripoff airport surcharges !!!!!!!!!!

Tell the rental agent/reservations that you did NOT use the airport
or shuttle from the airport. (they don't know anyhoo)
Most will make you sign a waver stating such and you will not
be charged the airport surcharge/user fees.

Worked for me in West Palm/Daytona/Orlando !
Some rental agents will play dumb on the waver issue so ask
for a manager...............(nicely works best)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.