GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts
Re: Is This the 2016 ELR?

Other than it should be a tall wagon because far more people are seeking TWs or crossovers or whatever you choose to call them, than are shopping coupes, it looks fine if that's the sort of car you're after. :drive:

·
Registered
5,944 Posts

Via Inside EVs:

If it is, I'll move it into the News Ticker.

What's interesting is IIRC they aren't making any more 2014's, so why would this have the new wreathless crest badges? Perhaps this is the 2016 exterior but has the old 2014 mechanicals just for the purposes of the show.

Also, is it possible that Cadillac will have the remaining 2014's updated by the dealers with the new badgework? They'd likely have to change the grille and the steering wheel airbag, so that could get pricey, but all of the old grilles and airbags could be used for replacement items on any ELR that has been in a crash.

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts

There are so few out there, it's quite possible none have been crashed yet.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Interesting. After I posted this, they edited it and said that this isn't the 2016 ELR. When are they showing it then?

·
Registered
5,944 Posts

Interesting. After I posted this, they edited it and said that this isn't the 2016 ELR. When are they showing it then?

As they just had a private showing of the 2016 Volt here in Hollywood, perhaps they showed that to those same people? I thought by showing the new ELR first, it would look this time around like the Volt is a cheaper version of the Cadillac, as opposed to the ELR being a much more expensive Volt.

At this point it looks like the 2016 ELR will be a no show.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Also, is it possible that Cadillac will have the remaining 2014's updated by the dealers with the new badgework? They'd likely have to change the grille and the steering wheel airbag, so that could get pricey, but all of the old grilles and airbags could be used for replacement items on any ELR that has been in a crash.
Nope, that's six different colors of illegal - the manufacture year isn't something you can just change (or else all brands of dealers would sell their models as new - look at 2013/2014 ATSs. Identical except for like 5 parts. The cost in depreciating a model year is often a few grand - way more than the cost of a couple parts.

·
Registered
487 Posts
So is the ELR in the picture just a one off car?
More than likely - I'd wager due to the second gen ELR not making it (it 100% was intended to be at LA) they took a production car and stuck the new badges on it just to show something, even if it was a lame duck.

I was also told there was to be no 2015 ELR - GM has enough capacity of ELRs right now to last well into the production of the second gen car, so there's no sense in making more simply to sit on the lots and depreciate.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More than likely - I'd wager due to the second gen ELR not making it (it 100% was intended to be at LA) they took a production car and stuck the new badges on it just to show something, even if it was a lame duck.

I was also told there was to be no 2015 ELR - GM has enough capacity of ELRs right now to last well into the production of the second gen car, so there's no sense in making more simply to sit on the lots and depreciate.
By second generation, do you mean the MCE?

·
Super Moderator
21,022 Posts

Nope, that's six different colors of illegal - the manufacture year isn't something you can just change (or else all brands of dealers would sell their models as new - look at 2013/2014 ATSs. Identical except for like 5 parts. The cost in depreciating a model year is often a few grand - way more than the cost of a couple parts.
Not necessarily, if they don't market them as 2015s or 2016s then they can do whatever they want with the badges. GM's had dealers update badges before, I recall the switch from Allure to LaCrosse in Canada was done mostly by dealers.

·
Registered
487 Posts

By second generation, do you mean the MCE?
Yes. I've always referred to the ELR/Volt/Ampera by the Voltec Powertrain - and the MCE Volt/ELR are supposed to get the second generation Voltec hardware. It's been debated whether it truly is a second gen car because of this major technical powertrain change. But that's semantics.
Not necessarily, if they don't market them as 2015s or 2016s then they can do whatever they want with the badges. GM's had dealers update badges before, I recall the switch from Allure to LaCrosse in Canada was done mostly by dealers.
They can swap badges all day long but you cannot sell a car manufactured for the 2013 model year as a 2014 because the VIN has already been assigned. This does have loopholes but those can only be worked with before the vehicle is manufactured and the VIN is assigned. In this case the ELRs are built.

Will dealers swap badges? Very possibly. But they are still 2014 model year vehicles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts