1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Re: Relative needs a car: used Civic or used Taurus?

C-i-v-i-c

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Any reason why the Civic is the better choice? It has 35,000 more miles. It's also missing the radio (though no explanation is given as to the reason).

·
Registered
903 Posts

It depends. The Taurus is a much better car if there is a lot of highway driving and if the car will have more than just the driver in it. It is certainly a lot more comfortable to ride in than the Civic. The Vulcan engine is extremely reliable and isn't too bad on gas. It has a lot more torque on hand than the Civic. Also, the Taurus overall is a much safer car than the Civic. The only real thing a Taurus has going against it is the transmission. But if the car comes with records showing it was maintained, I wouldn't worry too much about it because of it's mileage.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

I agree!

Now this 2000 Alero was proposed. 87,000 miles, $3,500.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...max_price=4000&cardist=3&LNX=ESTAFSRCHUSDTEXT

Looks clean enough for an 8 year old car...& 11K @ year...

Downfalls with an Alero & the Twin cam...

water pump failure
lower control arm bushings
front hub bearings
front rotors

all of which can be found aftermarket for a good-good price...

I loved my 2003 Alero sedan I used to own...it was a stripper, so no power windows...if it had more power equipment, I would still have the car!!:yup:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Late 90's/early 2000's Corollas/Prizms are cheap and pretty rock solid for reliability if all you're looking for is no-frills, reliable transportation.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts

find a Regal with a 3800.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Looks clean enough for an 8 year old car...& 11K @ year...

Downfalls with an Alero & the Twin cam...

water pump failure
lower control arm bushings
front hub bearings
front rotors

all of which can be found aftermarket for a good-good price...

I loved my 2003 Alero sedan I used to own...it was a stripper, so no power windows...if it had more power equipment, I would still have the car!!:yup:
Thanks for the knowledgeable input. If they're anything like the '98 Malibu I had, I would really be hard pressed to recommend one.

Though, this Taurus seems like a good buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...m14QQhashZitem140278896738QQitemZ140278896738

·
Registered
7,840 Posts

Taurus is a fair car and 99 is before the coil spring breakage problems of 2002-2004.

But it is amazing, on our lot right now we have an 04 Civic DX, air tilt cd pwr locks, 62kms and an 05 Taurus SEL leather, sunroof tilt/ cruise, windows locks cd changer 59kms And an 05 Focus air tilt/cruise pwr locks 40 kms for $1000 less than the Civic and people still see the Civic as a good buy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts