GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confuzed about the oil type. on the oil stick head it says 10w30 but on a label of the filter box it says 5w30 only. which one should I use?
if i use 10w30 are there going to be any problems?
thanks

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I am confuzed about the oil type. on the oil stick head it says 10w30 but on a label of the filter box it says 5w30 only. which one should I use?
if i use 10w30 are there going to be any problems?
thanks
Either will be fine. Personally, I'd go with the 5W-30. If it tends to be burning oil or leaking, then I'd thicken it up on the next change.

·
Premium Member
36,586 Posts
OK, you asked for opinions.

What's your temp range for the next four months?

According to people who know far more than I do, 5W-30 and 10W-30 are both fine. As is 5W-20. Check with your Buick dealer.

You'll probably get as many opinions as people you ask.

Keeping up on O&F changes is important.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1266801.html?page=3

·
Premium Member
36,586 Posts
To quote from my 2002 Regal owner's manual, p. 6-15:

[Chart recommends use of 5W-30 for 60*F and lower temps. Recommends use of 10W-30 0* and above.]

"As in the chart shown perviously, SAE 5W-30 is best for your vehicle. However, you can use SAE 10W-30 if it's going to be 0*F (-18*C) or above. These numbers on an oil container show its viscosity, or thickness. Do not use other viscosity oils, such as SAE 20W-50.

"SAE 10W-30 is best for your vehicle. However, you can use SAE 5W-30 if it's going to be colder than 60*F (16*C) before your next oil change. When it's very cold, you should use SAE 5W-30. These numbers on an oil container show its viscosity, or thickness. Do not use other viscosity oils, such as SAE 20W-50."

Clear as mud yet? :think:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.