GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

MAY 10, 2022

Today at the Red Hat Summit 2022, open source solutions provider Red Hat and General Motors (GM) announced a partnership to help advance software-defined vehicles at the edge.

The two companies plan to expand an ecosystem of innovation around the Red Hat In-Vehicle Operating System. It provides a functional-safety certified Linux operating system Foundation, meant for the ongoing evolution of GM’s Ultifi software platform, GM’s end-to-end vehicle software platform.

Red Hat said that this collaboration is a significant moment in the convergence of the transportation and technology industries, with Red Hat’s cloud-native, enterprise-grade open source operating system accelerating the development of GM’s software-defined vehicle programs following Ultifi’s initial launch. This partnership will allow both companies to offer customers more valuable features responsibly, in a fraction of the typical development time.

“By collaborating with GM on the Red Hat In-Vehicle Operating System, we intend to bring the era of open source to the automotive world, benefiting automakers, ecosystem partners and consumers,” said Francis Chow, vice president and general manager, In-Vehicle Operating System and Edge, Red Hat.

In-vehicle software systems can require high levels of cybersecurity protection and stringent certifications due to critical safety priorities. In current systems, these requirements often lengthen the development process, making vehicle software updates difficult, since each update requires recertification.

The companies are looking to implement continuous functional-safety certification into the Ultifi platform, with Red Hat In-Vehicle Operating System pioneering the continuous certification approach announced last year.

The integrated software supports a variety of in-vehicle safety- and non-safety-related applications, such as infotainment and advanced driver assistance systems.

With the integration of the Red Hat In-Vehicle Operating System into the Ultifi platform, GM and Red Hat are aiming for:

• Reduced costs from consolidation and reuse of software across a common platform
  • Improved development cycle for faster time-to-market with new customer features and software upgrades
  • A continuous functional safety certification for systems related to safety applications
  • Implementation and creation of new services, business models and revenue streams
Red Hat will contribute to the phased rollout of Ultifi, which will enable a frequent and more seamless delivery of software-defined features, apps and services to customers over-the-air. It is expected to launch in 2023.

“General Motors is now a platform company, and working with Red Hat is a critical element in advancing our Ultifi software development. Incorporating the company’s expertise in open source solutions and enterprise networks will pay dividends as we aim to provide the most developer-friendly software platform in the industry,” said Scott Miller, vice president, software defined vehicle and operating system, General Motors, in a statement. “With Red Hat’s operating system as a core enabler of Ultifi’s capabilities, the opportunity for innovation becomes limitless.”

Miller also spoke about the launch of the partnership during the Summit keynote, noting that this collaboration is the enabling factor for a whole new level of creativity.

“It [the collaboration] enables many more automotive functions that can be developed using the Linux platform,” he said. “And it’s a standardized framework, so it will set the direction for the entire industry and we really want that… The entire industry will benefit from the ability to bring new third party talent in the open source community to automotive development.”

LINK

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
It will be interesting to see what benefits we get from a open source system.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
What you get from Red Hat is a development system used by roughly half of all software developers on Earth and with decades of experience. It will allow GM to add its proprietary frameworks to a battle-tested OS without having to develop a new proprietary operating system. It will allow third-party developers to port their applications to the GM OS while having only to account for the new GM frameworks.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,489 Posts
GM has used some variant of Linux in its infotainment systems (Cadillac CUE, Chevy/GMC/Buick MyLink, etc.). However, AFAIK the company hasn't worked with other companies on a common platform encompassing the OS, middleware, and applications that can be shared across multiple automakers.

To really take advantage of the benefits an open source platform provides for automotive applications, GM should join the Automotive Grade Linux project hosted by The Linux Foundation. Red Hat is a member, as are most other global automakers.

Members - Automotive Grade Linux (automotivelinux.org)

·
Registered
986 Posts
I am still wondering this is for infotainment system or something else , i was thinking GM was going to google to work with some android variant for the infotainment system. Again amazon, Apple was also offering some stuff in that space. The Automotive grade Linux is also there and GM had some propitiatory Linux also. But there are more parts to the Ultifi than just in vehicle entertainment.

To be truth fully , I miss blackberry here. Blackberry was the platform for a long time...

In a longer run, i assume google move to Fuchsia (Fuchsia ) from linux. Last day also i saw some distribution of linux with zircon kernel ( dahliaOS )

·
Registered
44,831 Posts
I am still wondering this is for infotainment system or something else , i was thinking GM was going to google to work with some android variant for the infotainment system. Again amazon, Apple was also offering some stuff in that space. The Automotive grade Linux is also there and GM had some propitiatory Linux also. But there are more parts to the Ultifi than just in vehicle entertainment.

To be truth fully , I miss blackberry here. Blackberry was the platform for a long time...

In a longer run, i assume google move to Fuchsia (Fuchsia ) from linux. Last day also i saw some distribution of linux with zircon kernel ( dahliaOS )
It's not just "infotainment" per se.
But it'll allow the full in-vehicle expansion of features: automatic route planning, battery charging estimates, vehicle-to-vehicle communications, vehicle driver configurations, facial recognition security, crash detection, recording, and any other feature you can dream up.
It will also allow GM to install new apps remotely or allow the driver to purchase new features to enhance the driver experience.

Using RH as the foundation gives GM a robust and well tested OS from which they can build services.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

OK.

This is about so much more than infotainment. The whole vehicle is a computer on wheels. Actually, this is not true. The whole vehicle is a computer network on wheels. Windows has the largest share of servers in use. However, Windows-based servers tend to be on the low end. Linux dominates middle-to-large networks. Red Hat Linux dominates the ranks of Linux distributions. However, Linux is by no means limited to servers. Android is a Linux distribution for which the Chrome browser serves as the UI. Chrome apps are implemented as browser widgets.

Linux itself is a Unix workalike. It is the culmination of a project going back decades to develop an operating system that walked and talked like Unix, but contained no Unix code. The project was called GNU. GNU is a recursive acronym for GNU's Not Unix. The project made great progress, but a working kernel eluded them. Linus Torvalds cracked that nut and named the kernel after himself. Linux is the kernel. The operating system is GNU. There are other kernels in the wings, but none have proven to be so much better than Linux so as to replace Linux. Back in the 1990s, Apple developed its own distribution of Linux, mkLinux. mkLinux is based on Carnegie-Mellon University's Mach microkernel.

Unix is the OS that you use when you absolutely positively need your system to stay up. Your biggest networks are run by Unix-based servers. There is the story about the Unix server that network administration lost track of. It was rediscovered several years later. During the years that the server was incognito, it lost not a single data packet. The vast majority of users sitting at a terminal window will be hard pressed to tell the difference between Linux and Unix, but there are differences. Unix is the outgrowth of an operating system research project at AT&T Bell Laboratories. AT&T allowed the University of California to experiment with its code. The result was the BSD version of Unix. However, there is now one official unified distribution of UNIX that is administered by The Open Group. Apple is a Silver Member of The Open Group.

Apple has sold Unix-based computers going since it sold Macintosh II computers with A/UX, its distribution of AT&T System V, installed. Apple switched from its own A/UX to IBM's AIX as part of its agreement with IBM and Motorola (now FreeScale) to develop and use the PowerPC. [IBM is a Platinum member of The Open Group, but it also developed and sells a Linux version of AIX.] When Apple switched from its classic OS to MacOS X, it developed a new open source version of UNIX known as Darwin. For several versions, Darwin was fully certified version of UNIX by The Open Group.

Unix and Linux are preemptive multitasking multiuser operating systems with virtual storage. QNX is a realtime Unix workalike. QNX was popular with scientists and engineers who loved the rich development environment of Unix-like operating systems, but could not tolerate having the OS swapped-out to another task while a critical event occurred. However, QNX Hypervisor Virtualization Software now gives customers the option of some of the virtual OS benefits of Unix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts