GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
One has to add the opportunity cost lost to unproductive waiting. Assuming $40.00 per hour, the Diesel wins by a large margin
You seem to ignore the ICE "penalty" for unproductive waiting.

The vast majority of EV charging takes 3 seconds, to plug in, while you go do something else you were going to need to do anyways. Usually, at your own house.

With a gas fill up, you're going to stand around doing nothing, no matter where you refill. Never at your own house. Diesel loses by a large margin.

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The vast majority of EV charging takes 3 seconds, to plug in, while you go do something else you were going to need to do anyways. Usually, at your own house.

With a gas fill up, you're going to stand around doing nothing, no matter where you refill. Never at your own house. Diesel loses by a large margin.
How many minutes does it take you to fill up? There is the reality that you need a long task to justify an hours wait.

Given, the home charge is a fair point, however, you better stay close to that house.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
A bit disappointed in the Tundra Hybrid MPG, although it was the cheapest of the ICE models. Of course it would have a larger gap if more city vs hwy had been mixed in.

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A bit disappointed in the Tundra Hybrid MPG, although it was the cheapest of the ICE models. Of course it would have a larger gap if more city vs hwy had been mixed in.
It more than makes up for it in power output. 580 lbs ft. Of torque and some serious horse power

·
Premium Member
36,989 Posts
You are obviously imagining things! :whistle: It takes seconds! Just seconds! To fill up a lektrik wunderkart! Keep this up and you could be facing expulsion from the Church of Lektrik Wonders. This is frightening! 👽

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,034 Posts

Unproductive waiting? Is that like when this site fails to load properly and freezes up while all the doodads download? ;) :rolleyes: 🤪 :eek:o_O:unsure:

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Wonder why the Tesla supercharger station near my house is commonly 3/4 full at 9AM on a Sunday- why didn't those folk fully charge at home; overnight?
Instead they're up, dressed, and driving to sit in a parking lot on a weekend morning.
Probably because they live in places without the ability to charge the goll-durned thing. ;) :D

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wonder why the Tesla supercharger station near my house is commonly 3/4 full at 9AM on a Sunday- why didn't those folk fully charge at home; overnight?
Instead they're up, dressed, and driving to sit in a parking lot on a weekend morning.
They them he she his his are looking for mates… on a Sunday morning

·
Registered
812 Posts

I guess it unplugs itself and hangs the charging cable up when it's finished? If you really think it takes 3 seconds to grab the charging cable, plug it in and turn it on and then later doing the reverse you need to change your name to Flash Gordon lol

The other thing to consider is a tank of gas or diesel in most cases will last longer than a single charge. The real comparison is 5 minutes at a gas station once a week vs a couple of minutes in the garage 2,3 or more days a week.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
I guess it unplugs itself and hangs the charging cable up when it's finished? If you really think it takes 3 seconds to grab the charging cable, plug it in and turn it on and then later doing the reverse you need to change your name to Flash Gordon lol

The other thing to consider is a tank of gas or diesel in most cases will last longer than a single charge. The real comparison is 5 minutes at a gas station once a week vs a couple of minutes in the garage 2,3 or more days a week.
15-20 min waiting in a que at the cheapest petrol station in town (because I want to save 5-10 bucks a tank) then 5 min to fill up then 5 min waiting to pay for it

If you're going to argue about seconds to plug in a charger at home be prepared for someone to break down just how much time is wasted filling up with dino juice ;)

I think eventually we're going to get electric vehicles as the mainstay of personal transport sometime inside the next 10-20 years and those still clinging (either by choice or necessity) to ICE vehicles will be in the minority

It's just a matter of time

The world wants to move on from being at the hostage of OPEC nations

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Like My Celica which I now primarily drive, I think I last filled it 3 weeks ago, still have close to half a fast tank. The Fusion, every day one must plug it

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Most likely, Thier Home/Condo or Apartment, doesn't have a Spare 80 Amps available in Thier Service to acomindate the Home Fast Charge Station, and they are awaiting the Second Service to be installed

·
Registered
15,034 Posts

15-20 min waiting in a que at the cheapest petrol station in town (because I want to save 5-10 bucks a tank) then 5 min to fill up then 5 min waiting to pay for it

If you're going to argue about seconds to plug in a charger at home be prepared for someone to break down just how much time is wasted filling up with dino juice ;)

I think eventually we're going to get electric vehicles as the mainstay of personal transport sometime inside the next 10-20 years and those still clinging (either by choice or necessity) to ICE vehicles will be in the minority

It's just a matter of time

The world wants to move on from being at the hostage of OPEC nations
I think that you are all right in this, but for various reasons. :)

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
How many minutes does it take you to fill up? There is the reality that you need a long task to justify an hours wait.
Plenty of those "long tasks" available. At a remote charge point, people will mostly plug in and then go do something else. No real time lost there. After driving for 400 miles, there's a good chance that you would need a rest stop. You could shop, eat, or just rest. And sure, you COULD bring a picnic with you, but why force such limits? Besides, range and charge times have been improving.

Of course, you are right, longer charge times than refuel times are a negative. But most people will do that 3 second home charge every day, as opposed to needing that remote charging very rarely. Some will never need that.
Given, the home charge is a fair point, however, you better stay close to that house.
Given that charge times are getting up around 400 miles, I see no need to stay close to home.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
You are obviously imagining things! :whistle: It takes seconds! Just seconds! To fill up a lektrik wunderkart! Keep this up and you could be facing expulsion from the Church of Lektrik Wonders. This is frightening! 👽
Terribly sorry. ANOTHER 3 seconds to unplug it in the morning.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts

So charge vs refuel times are pretty much no issue unless you're driving beyond your range.

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Plenty of those "long tasks" available. At a remote charge point, people will mostly plug in and then go do something else. No real time lost there. After driving for 400 miles, there's a good chance that you would need a rest stop. You could shop, eat, or just rest. And sure, you COULD bring a picnic with you, but why force such limits? Besides, range and charge times have been improving.

Of course, you are right, longer charge times than refuel times are a negative. But most people will do that 3 second home charge every day, as opposed to needing that remote charging very rarely. Some will never need that.

Given that charge times are getting up around 400 miles, I see no need to stay close to home.
Not the case, the problem is generally that the best charge time available right now from the HUMMER EV, and it will fast charge till 80% then it slows down significantly for the other 20% , will be much longer.

Realistically, 400 miles is rather optimistic, at a charge station, unless you are at home.. besides, how many vehicles out there offer 400 miles, ?

·
Registered
812 Posts
So charge vs refuel times are pretty much no issue unless you're driving beyond your range.
For a lot of people it won't be an issue but for some it will be.

I'm not really arguing one over the other, just pointing out that the EV isn't just as simple as "3 seconds to plug in". If you're going to make a fair comparison you need to include all the relevant factors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts